Level 10 300M Input Shaft

07 Boss

Reaction score
So, I purchased the input shaft thinking mine was toast. Turns out that after pulling the trans and converter, the input shaft is intact. It looks like the splines on the stator(?) inside the converter are stripped. No biggie as I was having the converter re-stalled and it won't be too much more to have a new part thrown in.

Anyways, my question is how to get the new shaft in. I have read that this shaft needs a little massaging to get in. What exactly is the issue? Is it the actual diameter of the spline area? Seems like the splines match up but it won't go on. If I "polish" the outside edges of the splines down a bit will it go on, or are there other factors involved? I don't want to start working on this piece if that's not going to work because then I can't return it. But if I can persuade it to fit pretty easily I will swap it for the cryo-hardened one that is in there now.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Hey Ed, is the 300M an upgrade over the shaft that comes with the Level 10 tranny? I'm running the one that came with my Level 10 5r55s, reportedly rated for 1000hp. It does slide out with the convertor usually, but is easily separated then later reinstalled.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Hey Ed, is the 300M an upgrade over the shaft that comes with the Level 10 tranny? I'm running the one that came with my Level 10 5r55s, reportedly rated for 1000hp. It does slide out with the convertor usually, but is easily separated then later reinstalled.

Well I got my Level 10 tranny before they started using the 300M shaft. It used to be a cryo-hardened one. I thought mine broke so I bought the newer stronger one. I'd like to put it in there but it won't drop down into the splines.

But to answer your question, it should be already in there. I think when I bought my 'bulletproof' tranny it was rated to 800 hp I believe. So if yours is rated to 1000 hp I would think it has this one already in it.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
There are no parts out there that will "handle " 800 or 1000rwhp I'm a 5r55s.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Just need it to hold 500. But back to my original question. How are you guys "polishing" or "massaging" the shaft in?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Just need it to hold 500. But back to my original question. How are you guys "polishing" or "massaging" the shaft in?

If I was going to try and make it fit, I would try and get my hands on another converter good or bad to test it before I sent it to the shop.I have a stock shaft and a new stock converter in my garage if you want I can measure them with a set of calipers this evening and you can measure the piece you have to compare.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
There are no parts out there that will "handle " 800 or 1000rwhp I'm a 5r55s.

Ya I know, that's just what they rate it at. And my plans for my car changed significantly since I bought that tranny; a stroker motor and F1 were only a distant fantasy, funny how things change, lol. I would have done a 4r70w if I knew then what the future held, oh well, it's only money..

In any case I didn't have to do anything to "massage" the input shaft into the convertor, both my tranny and convertor are Level 10 units though, maybe that helps. I did have to massage the convertor snout and inside the back of the crank shaft a bit with some sand paper rolls to allow sufficient clearance, otherwise when you separate the motor the convertor comes out with it, yikes!

07 Boss

Reaction score
Well it's not sliding into either the converter or the tranny. I can feel the splines line up, just won't slide in. Thought about tapping it gently with a hammer to see if it might start, but that is not the first of my options. Also the 300M shaft is about an 1/8' longer which I think its supposed to be. When I look at where the converter stripped it's right near the end so the extra length would be nice.

conexion914

forum member
Reaction score
So, I purchased the input shaft thinking mine was toast. Turns out that after pulling the trans and converter, the input shaft is intact. It looks like the splines on the stator(?) inside the converter are stripped. No biggie as I was having the converter re-stalled and it won't be too much more to have a new part thrown in.

Anyways, my question is how to get the new shaft in. I have read that this shaft needs a little massaging to get in. What exactly is the issue? Is it the actual diameter of the spline area? Seems like the splines match up but it won't go on. If I "polish" the outside edges of the splines down a bit will it go on, or are there other factors involved? I don't want to start working on this piece if that's not going to work because then I can't return it. But if I can persuade it to fit pretty easily I will swap it for the cryo-hardened one that is in there now.
My converter just did the same thing three weeks ago. Weird.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I did talk to Pat at Level 10 today. He said the the new shaft tolerances are really tight. And when mating them to worn parts it may take a little persuasion from a small dead blow to squeeze it into splines that might not be perfectly straight anymore. He also said that PI converters are especially tight. I have a stock converter laying there so I will see if I can persuade it into that one. Just hope she doesn't get stuck.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Are the splines on both sides of the shaft the same size? I can slide one end into my old stock converter pretty easily but cant even begin to slide the other end in. So I am wondering if maybe this particular piece might not be machined correctly. Thoughts?

07 Boss

Reaction score
Well I ended up using my old shaft. Sent the 300M one to a buddy and he can't get it to work either. Does anyone definitely know what the issue is? I don't want to sand this one down to get it to fit if it's not going to work because then I can't return it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back