Limp Mode

Mikes5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Alright after having my car one year I finally had my first issue. Today I went to the bank then came back home ( car ran flawlessly ). While cutting my grass I had to move the car to the opposite side of the drive way so I fired her up when I pressed the gas it started to stutter like it had an extreme miss fire. When I looked at the display I notice that the little orange wrench was illuminated. I was like what the hell does that mean, so I immediately shut the car off and popped the hood. Now this is my first tuned / modified N/a car.

The best way to describe how the car felt or sounded was if your in a boosted turbo car it felt like a intercooler pipe had come off. I wiggled the intake around, it was still tight, then I checked the fitting for the pcv valve that connects to the JLT intake, not loose. I then grabbed my SCT and plugged it in. NO Codes found.

So I started the car back up and the wrench was no longer on and drove normal. I checked my plugs last week and no signs of the dreaded #8 failure. Anyone ever have this issue? If so what should I look for?

Car info

2011 GT
JLT Intake
Lethal O/R H pipe
Magnaflow cat back
Kurgan Tune
around 6400 miles
All Mods of been on the car for around 5000 miles.

Posted this on another forum but didn't get many responses. I drove the car for about an hour tonight and it drove fine and still no codes. I really do not want to take it into the dealer due to my mods.

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure man. These are all the issues I've had.

1wk - I had my driver side airbag fault come on
3wk - wierd squeak from right rear brakes, went away after a few months
7mo - Sirius Satallite Antenna fault, took them 3 weeks to get the correct one
15mo - weird service advancetrac light, and tc goes off, fixes itself when car restarted

No other problems.

hiflow catted magnaflow x
lund 93 race tune
custom corsa setup

no other power mods.

PS: I could've sworn I read of something like this happening on another forum around Dec '10. Maybe SVTP?

Entrenched

forum member
Reaction score
I have had this happen before with the illuminated double wrench. My research points to something in the throttle body being off. I've never gotten a code related to it but it only happens when I am aggressive with the throttle while the car is still cold. You should be able to drive it (albeit slowly) until the car clears up.

2011BaseGT

forum member
Reaction score
I had this happen to me one time at the track. It's some sort of protect mode I think, but mine cleared up after a restart as well.

It may be due to detonation or a lean condition possibly, not sure. I would contact your tuner and send a datalog.

Reaction score
Had this happen to me but i was actually driving the car. Went to shift into 4th and as best i could tell i was either A) Locked out or B) missed the shift. I don't see myself missing 4th, but when it went to go into gear it felt spongy, the engine overrevved, and then went into the same mode like you're talking about. I pulled over, restarted the engine and then everything was fine.

Mikes5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Dirty TB or MAF ?

Checked those this morning both clean as a whistle. LOL Drove the car again today and has not done it again. This was the first time I've pressed the throttle while it was still at the cold high idle. That will be the last I ever try to move it while its cold. Lesson learned. :oops1:

When I get back from FL Ill just take it up to Bob Kurgan and have him take a look at it.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
I guess this may be related but don't want to thread-jack, but can anyone tell me why the car skips/stumbles after you first start it up and attempt to rev it. It doesn't matter if it's a warm start or cold start.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I guess this may be related but don't want to thread-jack, but can anyone tell me why the car skips/stumbles after you first start it up and attempt to rev it. It doesn't matter if it's a warm start or cold start.

What's the build date of your car? There was a TSB for this issue.

Sent from my DROID2 Global using tapa-whatzit-thing

cdog1157

Reaction score
I've had this happen once (after having it dynoed) while driving about 30 mph and I thought my driveshaft came apart under the car, at least that's what it felt/sounded like. I was close to home and afraid to turn it off so I drove it about 2 miles. As long as you go 10mph or less then it's ok, any more than that and it feels like you're dragging a large metal object, lol. Anyways, the manual says that it's a Throttle Position Sensor fault and it won't throw any codes. Only thing the manual says to do is take it to the dealer, lol. Mine hasn't done it again and that was about a year ago.

cdog1157

Reaction score

When you first start your car it's in closed loop mode for several seconds. Wait about 30 seconds before you drive and if it still stumbles then it's probably needs the TSB fix as mentioned above.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When you first start your car it's in closed loop mode for several seconds. Wait about 30 seconds before you drive and if it still stumbles then it's probably needs the TSB fix as mentioned above.

I believe you mean "open loop." The motor runs in open loop when first started. The control system briefly ignores the O2 sensors, thus it has no feedback, therefore creating an open loop.

cdog1157

Reaction score
I believe you mean "open loop." The motor runs in open loop when first started. The control system briefly ignores the O2 sensors, thus it has no feedback, therefore creating an open loop.

You're right, I had it backwards, lol.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
What's the build date of your car? There was a TSB for this issue.

That's it....Doesn't do it after 30 secs or so..Thanks man.

Back