lindertw's plain jane '05 GT - 2013 in review

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
not necessarily a build thread as my ride pales in comparison with just about every other car on this board - more of a progress thread.

Summer of 2011 I picked up a low mile (8,200) '05 GT. The original owner installed the following:

- K&N CAI
- FRPP shorty headers
- FRPP GTA mufflers

mustang_drive_015.jpg

I kinda like the factory look, and the only external mods I've considered are spoiler delete and the Cobra Jet quarter window treatment, maybe a Bullitt grill. But I haven't gotten around to doing either of those, rather I've focused on getting the suspension dialed in for drag strip duty.

The local club (NVMC) had a dyno day and I decided to give it a go: 295 rwhp / 316 rwtq

That first winter it went up on jack stands and I installed the following:

- UPR/Granatelli Motorsports radiator support/sway bar eliminator
- Metco UCA mount
- Metco UCA (installed in top-most of two holes, simulating OEM position)
- Competition Engineering adjustable panhard bar
- Competition Engineering panhard bar brace
- FRPP bumpstop kit
- Strange single adjustable rear shocks
- Cobra Jet rear springs (M-5300-Q)
- BMR relocation brackets
- Metco LCA (installed in top-most of three holes on relocation brackets)
- M/T 17" ET Streets mounted on spare OEM 10-spoke wheels

90d6355e.jpg

That spring I hit the local 1/8th mile track with friends and did pretty crappy (no driver mod), but it was fun to get the car out. Summer of 2012 saw the install of Steeda UDP's, and a tune by JJ@Woodbine Motorsports: 302 rwhp / 317 rwtq

In the fall of 2012 I had the following work done by a local shop:

- frpp 4.10's
- truetrac
- lpw diff cover

preview_image_0_7395414.jpg

continued in post 2...

Last edited:

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
...continued

It hasn't been on the dyno since having 4.10's installed - it's just a number, and I'd rather have time slips
biggrin.gif

Winter of 2012 the car again went up on jack stands and I installed:

- strange single adjustable front struts
- cobra jet front springs (M-5300-Q)
- GT500 strut mounts
- drive shaft loops (still rocking the two piece drive shaft)

I was able to assemble all the front end bits ahead of time, so the swap was pretty easy:
C7A84622-A47B-4279-B82E-54D9DC15FBDC-879-00000160F11AFDB5_zps06c22fd5.jpg

The cobra jet springs I have are considered "non-lowering" and they really only drop the rear about 1/2" and it essentially levels out the car (28.5" from floor to top of fender well at all four corners).

mt_et_streets_apr13_zps4bf262ed.jpg

Ok, I have all this stuff installed - now what? I know I need driver mod, I've only made a few 1/8th mile passes to date. That will come with time, but how best to tune the suspension? I started reading up on instant center and anti-squat, and decided to get a baseline using this calculator

18apr13_suspensionplot_UCA_upper_LCA_upper_zpsbccf11ac.jpg

Because I wanted something more than the stick figure from the calculator (and because nerd) I decided to plot my measurements and overlay them against a blueprint view of an S197. In theory, if my model is correct, I can calculate the measurements for any planned change (springs, tire height, UCA/LCA position) prior to turning a wrench on the car and know how my instant center / anti-squat will change

s197_plot_zpse945a537.jpg

There really is no magic number - I need to test, test, and test some more to find out exactly what my car wants. Because my car isn't lowered, my power level is fairly low it was recommended I configure UCA and LCA near the factory locations.

continued in post 3...

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
...track time!

I decided to hit a test & tune night at MIR for my first trip down the 1/4 mile. Since I was going by myself, I decided to drive with the M/T ET streets already on the car, so I aired them up to 30 lbs and left the strut/shock settings at +6 clicks at all four corners and made the 85+ mile trip.

I get to the track, go through tech and then lined up. There are a million things running through my mind at this point, most importantly I didn't want to be that guy and do something really bad. Since I still had my street tires on the front I drove around the water box and backed up for a quick clean off of the rear tires. I lined up and on the third yellow I side stepped the clutch at 4500+ rpm, and then it hit me, I never aired down the rear tires!

I remember hearing the announcer crack a joke about me spinning wildly off the line as I cruised to a 15 or 16 second run. I went back to the pits, collected myself and aired the tires down to 18psi. The weather was cooling off (low 70's down to mid 60's as the night progressed), and DA was less than 900'. I lined up again, and my second run was a 12.814 @ 106.36, with a 1.75 60' and backed it up with a 12.954, 1.855 60' @ 106.52mph.

14E1ABEB-E317-46A3-A502-9561047C0C6A-136-00000008224D3FCF_zps55cd1cf7.jpg

I drove over the scales after the run, and came across at 3670 (with driver, 3/4 tank of gas, and a gutted trunk). My unofficial goal all along was to break into the 12's, I didn't think it would happen so soon. This was only my 2nd pass down the 1/4 ever, so driver mod is pretty much non-existent. And as I was driving home, it dawned on me that I never adjusted the struts/shocks, they were still set at +6 clicks at all four corners.

After I got home, I was on yellowbullet and realized there was a photographer at the track (there was a big event planned at MIR on Sat/Sun, and he was there to watch those racers make test hits), so I PM'd him with my car number and run times to see if there was any chance he snapped a pic of my car. Imagine my surprise when he sent me this:

2013_test_and_tune_full_res_zps0323d6d9.jpg

The local club (NVMC) hosted a track rental at Mason Dixon in Sep 2013. My plan was to only make one change to my setup - set the front struts to full loose (leaving rear at +6, and rear tires at 18psi). I tried to manage my expectations, as I don't know how to compare track prep between the Mason Dixon and MIR. I made six runs, with a best of 12.66 @ 107.25, with a 1.77 60'

95DE7D4A-02D4-4848-BB44-5F4B94724FDA-4326-00000937B68F3B31_zps6542aae7.jpg

Temps ranged from mid 50's to low 70's throughout the morning, and I think DA ranged from 200' to 700'. I went through the dry lane each time, with minimal burnout just to clean off the tires. No pics or vids of these runs (yet).

Still more testing to do, but overall I'm pleased with the results (given stock clutch, shifter, 2 pc drive shaft, stock TB, intake manifold, CMDP's still in place, OEM cats still in place, full interior, etc.).

skip to 3:30 and 6:30 for my first two runs at the NVMC track rental

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
MIR track rental on 18OCT, another new PB... Temps ranged from 59-65 deg, with DA 76-465ft as the day progressed (per dragtimes weather info/calculator).

12.425 @ 108.93, w/1.67 60'. backed it up with a 12.463 @ 108.68, 1.69 60'

18oct13_MIR_newPB_zps121af0bb.jpg

-weight with driver/gear 3660 lbs
-front struts set to full loose
-rear shocks set to +4 clicks
-rear tires @ 18psi
-launching at around 5000rpm

I'm in the left lane on this pass

hit MIR's test and tune 08nov. DA late in the night was amazing:

D86BCC12-72BB-4BC7-AE46-7AFB6DE0A2E0-700-00000299F9A9B834_zps3654daee.jpg

384CD93E-D64A-4383-8D4F-2BC83E4CADC1-700-00000297CEAE2BC7_zps058fdb75.jpg

I moved my LCA's to the middle hole on my BMR relocation brackets, otherwise the car was set up as shown below:

-weight with driver/gear 3680 lbs
-front struts set to full loose
-rear shocks set to +3 clicks (change from my previous best)
-rear tires @ 18psi
-launching at around 6000rpm

new LCA positioning (need to remeasure/recalculate IC/AS this winter)

suspension_update_15nov13_zps212103b4.jpg

R100-1024x819_zps222e8967.jpg

I think I need to bump up my rear tire pressure just a bit, and leave off the rev limiter.

The car is pretty much done for the winter. I picked up a set of skinny front wheels and tires (15" Weld RTS and 28" M/T ET fronts), shaving 52 lbs off the front end.

front_runners_2_zps06c94534.jpg

front_runners_1_zps860b5574.jpg

winter mods:

- raptor shift light install
- check/reset pinion angle to -2.5 deg (new front wheels may have changed it slightly)
- recalculate instant center / anti-squat values
- I recently picked up a spare cloth drivers seat from JPC racing's spare parts vault that I'm converting to manual.

Running the manual driver's seat on track days, along with removing the passenger seat I should lose another 65-70 lbs. My goal for the spring is 12.1x's...

I want to say thanks to everyone I've pestered in PM's - I've learned a great deal and you all have helped tremendously with suggestions for how to set my car up.

Thanks for looking! :thumb2:

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
nice to see the thread, good stuff bro!! I'ma get there real soon lol.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
Between you, ^ this guy and GT-350, it almost makes want to keep the car how it is and just keep driving it! That's great with just with mostly suspension, you have a bit more add ons than I do...but that just shows me the potential left on the table. Keep at it man!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
^get that 60 down to the 1.6's and you're in the 12.4's get out there and don't be a lazy bitch! :roflmao:

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
Lol..my current tires are done (showing cord). Next set will be 28's as the car is going turbo. I wouldn't expect a new best with a taller tire unless I stepped up to 4.30 or 4.56's, but unfortunately, I'm also stepping down in gear. Like I said, the temptation is there man!

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score

Dam that's a whole different type of "Poke" lol. Those welds look sweet though. You'll love the raptor shift light, It made my car a whole lot more consistent.

So HP mods are K&N CAI, Shorties, Axle Back, Steeda UDP, and custom tune?

Last edited:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
How cool is it that photog had that amazing pic man! You should print and frame that one

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
thanks all!

Between you, ^ this guy and GT-350, it almost makes want to keep the car how it is and just keep driving it!
stay N/A and keep tuning the suspension/tire setup!

This is a great thread. Making me completely rethink my suspension!!
do it....

How cool is it that photog had that amazing pic man! You should print and frame that one

it was a lucky shot. I bought the hi-res photo from the photog and had some 24x36 posters made (for $5 each - my wife had a coupon) - put one in the garage, sent another to my dad :thumb2:

Last edited:

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
Dam that's a whole different type of "Poke" lol. Those welds look sweet though. You'll love the raptor shift light, It made my car a whole lot more consistent.

the 28" tire is fatter than a 26", visually it'll take getting used to.

So HP mods are K&N CAI, Shorties, Axle Back, Steeda UDP, and custom tune?
Correct, those are my only HP mods (the 4.10's help me get down the track a bit better too).

I've mulled over cams because I love the sound, but I can't get past the cost when you factor in install and having it tuned on the dyno again. I've read so many thread where folks head down the slippery slope of cams/intake manifold/throttle body/long tubes, etc. etc. etc. and then at some point put it back to stock.

Don't get me wrong, we all want to go a little faster - but where does it end? Once you hit 11.99 you want low 11's, and then 10.99 and on it goes. I'm satisfied with where it's at now.

topbliss

Reaction score
nothing short of amazing.. So basically you have a stock 3v with a proper set up suspension and you are DEEP in the 12's? Goes to show you that a proper suspension set up is more valuable then hp mods..

Take that Coyotes! :)

Love your car.. Mint mint mint.

Back