Location of Microphone

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone know with certainty where the microphone is located on a 2012 GT Convertible. I had a GPS/Navigation/radio/phone installed today. I ask that the microphone be connected to the existing microphone wiring. When the installation was complete, they told me it was in the air vent. That just doesn't sound right to me.

I used these guys four years ago and they did a great job. Not so sure this time.

JC SSP

Reaction score
First is the system working correctly then the microphone is there.

Look for a small black device in your vents, by the side pillar, visor or rear view mirror… even on the steering column.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Could be built into the dome light area if you have any type of overhead console. Look for a spot that there are a few lines cut into the plastic.

13v6

Reaction score
I have a quick tech manual for the 2012 and this is what is says:
"SYNC Microphone
• SYNC microphone is integrated with the
electrochromic rear view mirror"

I got nothing else.

JimC

Reaction score
In my 2013 the mic was in the upper console where the top control and interior lights are.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Definitely built into dome light center along with proximity sensors if you have them. If they said its in the vent they most likely installed the aftermarket mic there which would be pretty dumb. With the ac going the other side would hear nothing but wind noise.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
It's in the rear view mirror in 2012, in 05-09 it isin the dome light housing

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone for your input. There were several opinions of where the mic was located. I agree with JWEC, if it was in the vent it would sound as if you were in a wind tunnel. With the different opinions/ or statements i decided to Google the question. So, far I have never been able to stump Google. Google says it's in the mirror and the two spots we see on the dome are motion detectors tied to the cars security system. This only pertains to convertibles.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
It is in the mirror in you car, that is not an opinion. Call someone and smack the mirror, I bet they ask what just happened.

In the first generation S197 it is in the overhead console.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
This story only gets worse. When I went back and relayed the information to them, they now told me they could not connect to the existing microphone as the wiring wasn't compatible. Also, they installed a system they said was better than the ones I had gotten from Utube and Mustang sites. On the way home the map screen was washed out (expected in a convertible) but when I pulled into the garage it was still washed out.

I didn't use the car for two days and when I went to use it the battery was totally dead, Key fob wouldn't work, etc. Put the charger on the car for 24 hours. Next day it, started. The following day I was going to town, car was totally dead again, except I noticed the controls that came with the new GPS, Navigation, climate controls were all lit up. They too went out a few minutes later after it had sucked all the juice out of the battery.

I called them and after charging the car for another 24 hours, took the car back and they totally removed the new system. They have ordered the one I asked for in the first place.

As I said in an earlier post these are the same guys who installed a system in my 08 Mustang and the experience was great. Same folks, totally difference experience.

JC SSP

Reaction score
At least they are attempting to correct the issue…

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
The saga continues. One of my requirements was that the system darkens during nighttime driving. I was assured by the installer that the new Kenwood, Garmin would automatically darken when the headlights came on; they don't. Contacted Kenwood Customer Service and they say my Model system will go into a nighttime mode when the headlights come on. They're telling me the installer didn't connect the system correctly. So back again

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back