Long tube headers upgrade

Merit1

Reaction score
I've added a CAI, BBK 85mm throttle body, and the Boss 302 intake manifold with a tune to my 2011 GT. The next logical step is to add the long tube headers and required exhaust. I have two concerns. One is the ground clearance with the headers, and two is trying to keep the sound as close to what the stock exhaust is, without getting radically louder. The stock exhaust has a nice rumble under normal acceleration, but sounds awesome if you really get into it. I know that the long tubes will inherently make it louder, but I just don't want something radically louder than what I have. So many choices out there, but hard to choose without actually hearing it in person. Can anyone speak from actual experience?

Reaction score
I just installed pacesetters on my 05 with the smallest possible magnaflow cats welded into the H pipe and i'm scraping them everywhere. Turning my coilovers up tomorrow, sadly..

Sound wise its made my corsa sports at least twice as loud.

Mikey383

Reaction score
I had no issues with header clearance until I lowered my car. Now, I scrape the collectors if I go over a speed bump at more than a crawl.

Not sure why you'd want to keep the stock exhaust sound. It seemed way too quiet for a sports/muscle car.

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
What about just doing cat deletes? Isn't most of the restriction on Coyotes in the cats?

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
I don't get it...you want headers/exhaust, but like the current sound so why not keep what you have? Until you're 100% certain on vehicle's upgrade plan(s), leave things be (my motto). Then, go to a few car shows (Mustang-only, preferably) and look/listen at cars. If you get there while people are setting up, it's a beautiful sight/sound. Find one you like and talk to owner...they're more than willing to show-off the fruits of their labor and you'll have a clear understanding of where to go w/your mods...IMO. Enjoy!

Merit1

Reaction score
I bought my car second hand at a dealer. The original clearly made some mods, and I was always suspect if the exhaust was factory. Looking at it when it’s up on a rack, it sure looks like it, but I assure you it’s not that quiet. With the larger throttle body and the Boss intake I’m bring more air in, but stifling the HP potential with restricting the exhaust. I’ve been conflicted if the HP gain is worth the exspense of headers and exhaust. If anyone has more info on the cats being being the main restriction culprit, I’d love to hear about it.

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
Contact a tuner and/or do some googling and you'll find a number of threads on various forums about it. Yes, long tubes get you the most hp but the simple cat delete (or ORH/X pipes) will get you a pretty nice gain that isn't far off for a ton less money.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had high flow cats on my car prior to headers, kept high flow cats on after the header install and it was much louder. Headers make the exhaust much more "bassy."

As for ground clearance, never been an issue on mine, they tuck up inside the framerails. Only time they ever hit the ground was when they stripped the pavement at the end of my street and it was about a 2" drop off.

Merit1

Reaction score
I’m definitely going to check into the high flow cats option. It seems like a good option. I can use the money I save to buy a new shifter, upgrade the brakes & stereo. There’s always something to buy, isn’t there.upload_2018-12-24_8-33-59.jpeg

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have emission testing? Something to think about if you touch the cats as it's getting harder and harder to pass emissions depending on what state you live in.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
I bought my car second hand at a dealer. The original clearly made some mods, and I was always suspect if the exhaust was factory. Looking at it when it’s up on a rack, it sure looks like it, but I assure you it’s not that quiet. With the larger throttle body and the Boss intake I’m bring more air in, but stifling the HP potential with restricting the exhaust. I’ve been conflicted if the HP gain is worth the expense of headers and exhaust. If anyone has more info on the cats being being the main restriction culprit, I’d love to hear about it.

The exhaust on the Gen1 'Yotes was in most peoples opinion pretty quiet at idle and not too loud WOT.

The gains with BOSS intake really don't start til 6k so you would be better off with headers and a full 3" exhaust and running it out to 7800.

Good thing is there's a crap load of cheap Feebay headers available these days that actually fit ...

A couple local guys were at 450rwhp back in the day on the BOSS intake, headers and corn fed.

JerryZ

Reaction score
I have a 2014 GT with only CAI & tune. I also wanted the nice power gain without too much noise level. I installed the ARH LT's with race cats with the rest of exhaust stock. The sound level definitely went up, but not at all annoying IMO. It seemed to have a nice power gain as well. After a few months, I decided it was just missing some of the deep rumble. I went to the GT500 axlebacks and got a nice, deep rumble . The sound level just went up slightly from where it was with stock axlebacks. If you want LT's, you are going to get significantly more noise levels. If you're happy with the sound you have, I'd recommend you leave as is.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back