Longtube headers vs o/r x and muffler deletes

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
I believe Joedls is running O/R X with GTAs. Not sure if he has L/T. The car is raspy but not in a bad way.

TexStang

Reaction score
i wanna hear from some of u guys after a couple thousand miles with the on3 kit. its a great deal until the turbo seals blow, the center section starts flopping around and the turbo headers crack cause its all cheap chinese junk.

$1800 will always be too good to be true. its that cheap cause its junk. just saying.

Usually it seems with chinese stainlesses is that they are thinner than designated, or that the welds were not shielded front and back and are weak do to porosity or oxidation. Those two are often what lead to cracking, as well as using the wrong filler rod. 300 serious stainless steels actually have a decent coeffecient of thermal expansion, so as the headers heat up, if the wrong filler was used, it can cause welds to crack.

I had a professor who is big here (Texas A&M) in the manufacturing processes etc. He is from China and would show us tons of pictures in class of Chinese welding stuff in shops with loads of improper gear. So wrong fillers, improper shielding, etc has to happen. FWIW, my favorite picture was a Chinese Welder wearing a piece of cardboard with a rubberband holding it to his head, and a cut out for sunglasses as a welding hood.

anyways, just a bit of info. Sorry for the offtopic-ness

Last edited:

antonio1988

Redline: 8600rpm
Reaction score
Usually it seems with chinese stainlesses is that they are thinner than designated, or that the welds were not shielded front and back and are weak do to porosity or oxidation. Those two are often what lead to cracking, as well as using the wrong filler rod. 300 serious stainless steels actually have a decent coeffecient of thermal expansion, so as the headers heat up, if the wrong filler was used, it can cause welds to crack.

I had a professor who is big here (Texas A&M) in the manufacturing processes etc. He is from China and would show us tons of pictures in class of Chinese welding stuff in shops with loads of improper gear. So wrong fillers, improper shielding, etc has to happen. FWIW, my favorite picture was a Chinese Welder wearing a piece of cardboard with a rubberband holding it to his head, and a cut out for sunglasses as a welding hood.

anyways, just a bit of info. Sorry for the offtopic-ness
Funny you should mention that, the steel is American and American made, it's the turbo, wastegate, and bov that are the Chinese things in the kit

Chris B.

forum member
Reaction score
Regarding gains from headers.

Has anyone had their car dyno tuned before the header install and then afterwards to show the true benefits with that being the ONLY change?

Without the dyno tune before hand it's not a fair comparison.

Here is a screenshot of my 2008 GT dyno results.

2008%20Mustang%20Dyno-1024.jpg

The blue line is stock. The red line is with the Steeda CAI and the Steeda 91 octane Cali EMissions tune. The Green line is with the Kooks 1-5/8" long tubes and catted H pipe added after the Steeda CAI. All three were done on 10% ethanol gasoline from the same gas station.

The only change between the red and green lines was the Kooks long tubes with Catted H pipe. I didn't get a new tune after the headers.

When I was comparing dyno results before, using either SAE or STD correction, my long tube headers with catted H pipe picked up more power than other people did on S197's with an off road X pipe or an off road pro chamber or shorty headers and an off road X pipe.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back