Lund TT kit Alpha X build (Goin heads up racing)

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Might as well start off with the money shot, then get into the details:

installed.jpg

Figured it was time to share some progress. I wanted to get my car competitive in a local heads up racing org here and Ken, Jake, and Lund agreed to help by using one of their twin kits on my car as further testing of the Alpha kit in a remote install scenario. With the huge DA's we see in Colorado, turbo seemed the best choice of power adder to efficiently overcome the thin air, and the base turbos supplied in the Lund Kit fit perfectly in my class limit of twin 60's. Anybody near Colorado interested in heads up racing here check out Automotive Performance Center racing

My car ran 10.42 last year with a whipple 2.9 and stock bottom end, stock 6r80, and 2c circle D converter in ~10,000 DA's in 100 degree weather. With the help of the Lund Kit and some other changes I'm hoping to knock at least a full second off of that time at elevation. When this car hits sea level expectations are to be well into the 8 second range

I'm more of a disassembler so luckily I have a buddy here that has done the turbo install and tons of other work on the car, Jon (Slagburn here on the forum.) Greatly appreciate that help, this project just wouldn't happen without it.

Now onto the build list:

• L&M built motor, 11 to 1, Diamond pistons, Manley billet I-beam rods, MMR valve springs w/ titanium retainers, ARP bolts/studs, tss oil pump gears, stock cams/heads
  • Lund Racing twin turbo kit with base turbos
  • Strange 9" rear shortened just a bit (basically the cobrajet housing), 35 spline, Aluminum yukon case, spool, trying 3.50 gears first
  • Powerglide trans - Reid SFI case and bell, transbrake, 1.80 1st gear
  • Strange brakes front and back to drop some weight
  • Wolfe Racecraft 10pt chromoly cage being welded in by Overkill Racecars
  • Various suspension bits
  • Trunk Fuel Cell and Weldon 2345-a fuel pump, scrapped the stock tank to drop some weight and move it towards the rear
  • Putting the car on a major diet, would be nice to see it near 3400 with me in it this year

Now onto some pics of past and present:

Here is what the car looked like last year in it's 10.4x trim:
20120407133512389.jpg

Here is a vid of one of my better mph runs last year, this was on a 10,000 density altitude day in 100 degree temps:

After deciding to get serious and try to be competitive heads up, the perfectly good motor with <8000 miles on it was pulled to go stronger. So we went from this:

idlerx.jpg

To This:

emptyh.jpg

onthegrounde.jpg

Then the motor got shipped off to Michael at L&M to have him throw in some solid parts. Once it got back we threw it back in the car in N/A form for breakin and to wait on the turbo bits. Stock power just isnt' the same after having over double it for a year:

24724365.jpg

Then came time to get ready for the 10pt cage install:

dashn.jpg

dashframe.jpg

reargutted.jpg

trailered.jpg

Along the same time bunches of fun stuff started showing up, including the turbo bits, rear end parts, seats, brackes, etc:

partsr.jpg

Since the strange rear and center parts showed up, Jon assembled it so Overkill could slap it in the car while it was at their shop:

rearcrate.jpg

A few of these guys showed up for the rear as well:
wheelslp.jpg

Quick test fit with the rear in the car just to get an idea of how things will look/fit:

wheeltest.jpg

Meanwhile the chassis shop was a bit backed up so we grabbed the car back to start throwing transmission and turbos at it. Here it is the day after picking it up...loving me some Colorado spring time:

phuckspring.jpg

Got the powerglide up in the tunnel, took some massaging due to how wide the pan/rails are on the glide. Crazy to think a 6spd auto fit in there so well:

glidend.jpg

And finally we are back to the present, the money shot with the turbo kit installed. We got to fire it up on a temp fuel system with a manual bump of the starter. Was great to hear it fire and idle after sitting for quite some time. I unfortunately don't have any video yet but will try to grab some. The car sounds amazingly tame for open downpipes, people will have no clue what the car is capable of from the sound of it.

installed.jpg

Last edited:

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
There is still quite a bit of work and parts to be purchased before the car is ready for prime time. Next week it goes back to the chassis shop for the cage work, to mount the seats, and some other stuff.

Still have to plumb the fuel and water systems and wire the pumps, tbrake, etc. Hoping to have the car ready to test near June 1st, that is pretty optimistic though.

Torched S197

forum member
Reaction score
Some people have a closet of parts, you have what looks like a living room or bedroom of parts.

Very nice build, should be a rocket

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice build, good luck, guess little street use from now on?

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Nice build, good luck, guess little street use from now on?

Nope, not really. I'm trying to do everything I can to be competitive in my class as I'll be up against people hundreds of pounds lighter with 130+ more cubes than I have. Also once I hit the point here I needed a 10pt cage in the car I just didn't feel safe on the street with it anymore. The roofline on on these cars is very low, no way to keep that halo bar far enough away to not hit it with my head if ever in a wreck on the street. No amount of padding would make me feel safe either. Other people do it, but not for me.

So, just decided to go all in. With 3.50 gears if I ever want to drive it on the street a little just to prove a point I could, but not what I'm going after with this one.

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Nice build. Stock block??

Yup, the motor was put together before a lot of people started pushing out chunks of cylinder. This season the plan is just to think happy thoughts and let it eat. Hopefully the weight reduction, tbrake, etc will help me get where I want to be without leaning too hard on the motor. Would be nice for it to survive till winter.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrat's on a serious build! Good luck at the strip!

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Did you win the lottery? Lol. Badass build. I'm guessing your going for mid 8's?

DSargent09

Get iT!
Reaction score
No kidding on the lottery comment lol!

Can't wait to see this thing run.

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
That's sweet man! How much power were u putting down to pull 10.42? I live up in ft Collins I'm hoping to run 10.50 this year on my new setup with the 5 speed.

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Did you win the lottery? Lol. Badass build. I'm guessing your going for mid 8's?

Just lucky to have a good job, live in a cheap area, and eat a lot of ramen noodles these days. I'm confident of mid 9's up here at elevation. 10,000 DA's hurt more than most can imagine. When I get the car to sea level I think it is pretty certain to be in the 8's...where in the 8's will be the question.

That's sweet man! How much power were u putting down to pull 10.42? I live up in ft Collins I'm hoping to run 10.50 this year on my new setup with the 5 speed.

I have no idea what it was doing for power at that level. It did 560 to the wheels uncorrected with a 3.25" pulley on the 2.9. Put on a 3" for the track (about another 2psi) but never dyno'd it on that pulley.

I'm just over in Greeley, you heading down to the RWR dyno day this weekend?

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
Just lucky to have a good job, live in a cheap area, and eat a lot of ramen noodles these days. I'm confident of mid 9's up here at elevation. 10,000 DA's hurt more than most can imagine. When I get the car to sea level I think it is pretty certain to be in the 8's...where in the 8's will be the question.

I have no idea what it was doing for power at that level. It did 560 to the wheels uncorrected with a 3.25" pulley on the 2.9. Put on a 3" for the track (about another 2psi) but never dyno'd it on that pulley.

I'm just over in Greeley, you heading down to the RWR dyno day this weekend?

Right on man. Ur probably gunna be the first 5.0 in the 9's up here huh?

I didn't no they were having a dyno day. But Iv been wanting to go check out their place for some time now. Mabe Il stop by, what time they doin that?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back