Max/Ultra Performance Summer tire for Autocross/Track days?

Towelly

forum member
Reaction score
Hello all - I am going to be hitting up a few NASA events (As many as I can afford) and be doing quite a bit of Autocross racing this summer. I am pretty much a newb to autocross and roadracing. The last time I autocrossed was in a 1993 SHO five years back and a 2002 WRX after that about 3 years back. Now I will be fielding a 2011 5.0, so a whole new world. I tracked my old WRX a few times, but once again, not even the same class.

I have done a limited amount of research and think that going R-Compound directly out of the gate is not a good idea. I am trying to save my factory rubber for road use only, so I am in need of a tire that will hold me over on the autocross course and road course alike.

I looked at 3 tires, Falken FK 452's, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's and Continental Extreme Contact DW's. Would any one of these be a good choice? They are a good bit cheaper than R-Compounds available. All in the $170-$190 price range. I'm willing to go up to $200 a tire if that will get me a tire that is worth the money, but I would rather not spend more than that if possible as I don't plan on these lasting more than one season. If they do, great. But all they have to do is get me through a season of racing. Which for me is hopefully going to be at least 2 HPDE events and 8+ autocross events.

Any opinions welcome and I am not stuck on any of the tires listed. I just noticed they are all reasonably priced and come in 265/35/18, which is the size I'm shooting for. Again, this is basically a effort to save my stock rubber for street driving and not spend a small fortune on 19" rubber every racing season.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Given equal tread patterns, I check the tread wear ratings - usually the lower the number, the softer and sticker the tire for better traction on autox or road course.

Falken FK 452: 300

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo: 280

Continental Extreme Contact DW: 340

Personally, I would go with the Falken RT-615 (200 wear rating) 265/35R18 for only $219 if you have a tight budget. I used them on my Celica GT and Corvette. Are there better street tires, absolutely. $219 is inexpensive. www.vulcantire.com

Last edited:

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
I wouldn't go with any of the tires you mentioned, they are not ultra or max performance tires, not even close really.

Dunlop Star Spec, Kumho XS, Bridgestone RE-11, Nitto NT05, and a few others are truly max performance tires. You should be looking at tires with a 200 treadwear rating.

I would suggest expanding your budget to about $250 per tire. There is no such thing as a good cheap tire, just good tires and cheap tires.

I personally use 275/40/18 NT05s for daily driving and the occasional auto-x (I usually use R-comps for autocross).

Last edited:

Towelly

forum member
Reaction score
I think the RE-11's are a bit to rich for my blood this season @ ~ $280/tire, but NT05's I could probably swing @ $211/tire. My wallet is going to be angry at me this year. LoL

Prices as per discounttiredirect.com and in 265/35/18.

Keep in mind I'm pretty much "blowing my wad" on suspension this season and picking up a brand new car...

Last edited:

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
go with the 275/40R18, i think the 35 sidewall will be too thin.

Towelly

forum member
Reaction score
For the SCCA class I am thinking to run 265 is the size limit. Unfortunately I won't be able to run HPDE events exclusively this season and still get as much seat time as I would like. So I am running autocross as well to focus on car control as well as save some money. Won't be able to afford it between ordering a new car, buying suspension parts and paying the Entrance/Membership fee's. Unless I get a unexpected sponsorship or run into some money. FYI, these will be track only tires.

Last edited:

L.Sanchez

forum member
Reaction score
I second the RT615's from Falken. Had great experience with them and multiple track days on them. Wore well, lots of grip and great look. I wish they made that tire in the size i'm looking for now. I also would recommend Kumho tires too. There MX was great, so I know there new KU series tires should be a step up. Just stay away from the Invo's.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back