Maybe stupid question... maybe not.

D'prived

Friends in crawl spaces
Reaction score
You've just installed new front springs and struts and you put the top plate on. Everything is looking good and you install the strut/assembly with the four studs back in your car. My question... the center nut that holds the top plate to the strut... how the hell are you supposed to torque that nut down when the center part also spins with it? :icon_mad:

Last edited:

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i don't think you can actually get a torque wrench on it. there's a flat spot on either side of the strut stud that you can hold still with an open end wrench and then tighten the center nut with a large box end wrench. at least that's what i did.

striker 5

forum member
Reaction score
i don't think you can actually get a torque wrench on it. there's a flat spot on either side of the strut stud that you can hold still with an open end wrench and then tighten the center nut with a large box end wrench. at least that's what i did.

that what I did also I tighten it as tight as I could been driving on them for two years no problems

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
just hit it with an impact wrench til the bushings crush to the correct rate...

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Aren't you supposed to tighten that before you put the strut back on the car?

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
just hit it with an impact wrench til the bushings crush to the correct rate...

i don't think he said what kind of struts he has, but with the d specs the instructions say not to use an impact at all

Aren't you supposed to tighten that before you put the strut back on the car?

it depends on how he took it apart. if he didn't use a coil spring compressor like most of us, he would do it while it's mounted to the car

D'prived

Friends in crawl spaces
Reaction score

That's also what I did but there is no way you're going to torque the nut to 46 ft-lbs with a box wrench. Apparently I was able to tighten down the driver's side enough becuase after I installed the strut back on the car I was able to use my torque wrench and tighten it to 46 ft-lbs. The passenger side was a different story the center strut spindle turned with the outside strut plate nut. I was just wondering if anyone had a trick they used to get it tight enough to lock the center spindle in place. I did find these...
15-16%20crows%20foot.JPG

Last edited:

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
i have some box end wrenches that have pretty long handles on them
It may be just folk wisdom, but my memory is that the standard configuration of combination wrenches (box and open ends on the same shaft) is such that a normal user can apply enough force to reach approximately the correct torque* for the usual bolt diameter appropriate to the wrench size.

*Clean-and-dry surfaces; not lubricated.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
these are box on both ends. whatever the case may be, i've had the struts in and out several times, haven't used a torque wrench, and i haven't had any problems

wdkingery

@ home installer hero
Reaction score
i don't think he said what kind of struts he has, but with the d specs the instructions say not to use an impact at all

everything says not use an impact on it..

just bump it a few times with the gun and it's done

D'prived

Friends in crawl spaces
Reaction score
these are box on both ends. whatever the case may be, i've had the struts in and out several times, haven't used a torque wrench, and i haven't had any problems

I understand what you're saying but when it comes to things like this I kinda like to go "by the book." So I am just wanting to get the strut plate nuts torqued to the specified 46 ft-lbs. If nothing else just for my own peace of mind. :sleep:

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OP, not a stupid question, just a stupid thread title that will make it hard for people to find this information in the future.

D'prived has the answer to your question. It's called a crow's foot. Use it with your torque wrench, while holding the piston steady with a smaller wrench. You'll need to apply a torque conversion factor, which should be easy to find on Google.

Also, you can rent spring compressors from Auto Zone, and assemble the strut assembly out of the car. It's easier that way, in my opinion. Some people put everything together and put a jack under the strut to compress it. PITA, IMHO.

D'prived

Friends in crawl spaces
Reaction score
somehow i thought we were still talking about the center nut on the strut. i've never taken the plates out.

We are. You have to take the top plates off when you change the spring. The 20mm nut that holds the top plate against the spring needs to be torqued to 46 ft-lbs. This is not possible using a socket on the nut because it covers the center spindle on the stut and just turns with the outside nut. However, if you use a crow foot open end torque attachment you can use a wrench to hold the center spindle in place while torquing the 20mm plate nut.

CandyRedGT

forum member
Reaction score
If you use the crow's foot.....what do you adjust the torque to.....to make up for the wrench flex?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back