MBRP Axle Backs split open under boost on my GT500

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, but for their claims of hp, it most likely shouldn't of happened.

Its a none issue on the replacement since summit is taking care of it, its the bumper im more angered about.

I do have a wotbox, but this didnt happen on a shift. I'm hoping the Roushes hold up better though.
No I agree. Looks like a seam for sure. All it takes is a little bellowing and panning of the muffler to start a tear at a seam. You see this a lot with intercoolers that aren't braced and have a large cross sectional area. It finds a seam,....

6185482051_dbc96833c3_z.jpg

WOT box was probably the culprit over time. But welds along the chamber walls to the skin would have all but eliminated the panning effect and this problem. It looks like you two stepped while on nitrous lol. If Roush is straight thru it should work better for you.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
No I agree. Looks like a seam for sure. All it takes is a little bellowing and panning of the muffler to start a tear at a seam. You see this a lot with intercoolers that aren't braced and have a large cross sectional area. It finds a seam,....

6185482051_dbc96833c3_z.jpg

WOT box was probably the culprit over time. But welds along the chamber walls to the skin would have all but eliminated the panning effect and this problem. It looks like you two stepped while on nitrous lol. If Roush is straight thru it should work better for you.

These are Roushes

421127.jpg

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I hope the roushes last while using my wot box. If not, I'm gonna have to think outside of the box.

I see what you did there..

Roushes sound nice on the 5.0's..

The mbrp's that I just installed are bullet type maybe they are "race"?

4bb72a69-11c3-78a3.jpg

Last edited:

MikeT

forum member
Reaction score
my buddy is a rep for MBRP, i let him know about this thread

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score
WOT box could have gotten it started and they just let loose when they let loose.

I might have to get some roushes too...

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
my buddy is a rep for MBRP, i let him know about this thread

I already opened up some dialogue on the contact us section on their page, letting them know what I want.

I thought about going with those but after seeing how thin of a material they use and poor build quality of the particular product I bought, well.. You can see what happened there. Besides my goal from switching from Bassani to MBRP was to make the car quieter after the long tubes and catless X went on.

Last edited:

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I already opened up some dialogue on the contact us section on their page, letting them know what I want.

I thought about going with those but after seeing how thin of a material they use and poor build quality of the particular product I bought, well.. You can see what happened there. Besides my goal from switching from Bassani to MBRP was to make the car quieter after the long tubes and catless X went on.

If you are wanting quiet you are screwing up going with the Roush mufflers. It's going to be unbearable without cats.....

Memphis 05

forum member
Reaction score
Those mufflers went pop... Hope they set you right I want to hear how they treat you on the back end.......and what you think of the Roush exhaust

On a side note.... This helped quiet my exhaust

I installed the Dyno max " race bullets" along with the bassani, no cats and long tubes. After the install the car had the perfect tone. It helped quiet down the exhaust and got rid of the drone. It helped for sure. They were installed between the x pipe and the mufflers.

MikeT

forum member
Reaction score
Lets be honest here, it was some type of backfire to cause something like that. . . prob still shouldn't have happened, but I bet any chambered muffler would do something like that over time with a WOT box on the car

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Is it me or does the muffler housing look extremely thin? I'm no expert on muffler construction but that looks like tin foil! :crazy:

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
KABOOM! That's Crazy, But I've seen that before.

I've never ran a wotbox always just power shifted through the gears.. I was going to run one once I get my boost set up though.. I wonder if my flows will hold up to it. hmmm

sub'd

MikeT

forum member
Reaction score
KABOOM! That's Crazy, But I've seen that before.

I've never ran a wotbox always just power shifted through the gears.. I was going to run one once I get my boost set up though.. I wonder if my flows will hold up to it. hmmm

sub'd

I ruined a set of flowdisasters on an N/A 3V. . . in less than 10k miles. . . :tdown:

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
I ruined a set of flowdisasters on an N/A 3V. . . in less than 10k miles. . . :tdown:

Hmm, they've been on my car for quite awhile no issues, but I've been n/a. Thats weird .. but I'll probably end up changing eventually anyway.

antonio1988

Redline: 8600rpm
Reaction score
Holy crap! I don't know if I should be impressed with your power or disappointed with their build quality

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
If you are wanting quiet you are screwing up going with the Roush mufflers. It's going to be unbearable without cats.....
won't be as bad as the bassani that was on their prior to the mbrp

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Lets be honest here, it was some type of backfire to cause something like that. . . prob still shouldn't have happened, but I bet any chambered muffler would do something like that over time with a WOT box on the car

They popped on acceleration, not a shift.

etc1006

forum member
Reaction score

4bb72a69-11c3-78a3.jpg

Those bullet style are the ones I have lined up for mine from a buddy in AL. He got them from another buddy when he traded his car in, ~2000 miles on them. Now I just need to pick my car up.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Hmm, they've been on my car for quite awhile no issues, but I've been n/a. Thats weird .. but I'll probably end up changing eventually anyway.

But you don't blow fireballs like us, bro :boobies:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back