Mcgard open end lug nut question

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
So being i put the racestars on for the track and got longer arp studs and want to put my 18's back on the car for street duty i cant use the stock lug nuts cause of the longer studs im sure. Can i use the mcgard open end lug nuts that i use for my racestars in place of the stock lug nuts for my 18's and just save the offset washers to the side?

Car and 18inch wheels are not accessible at the moment which is the reason im asking this.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
do your 18" wheels use shank style lug nuts or cone seat style lug nuts? If your 18" wheels use a shank style lug nuts, is the shank diameter and length of the shank the same as your McGard lug nuts?

If you answered no to either of these questions you will need to purchase open ended lug nuts

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
do your 18" wheels use shank style lug nuts or cone seat style lug nuts? If your 18" wheels use a shank style lug nuts, is the shank diameter and length of the shank the same as your McGard lug nuts?

If you answered no to either of these questions you will need to purchase open ended lug nuts

the 18's were using stock lug nuts so it would be cone seat then correct?

i wonder if autozone or pep boys have open end lug nuts then

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
the 18's were using stock lug nuts so it would be cone seat then correct?

In your OP you stated your 18" wheels. I didn't want to assume they were your stock wheels, but if they are, then yes they are cone seat. Therefore your McGard shank style open end lug nuts will not work.

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
In your OP you stated your 18" wheels. I didn't want to assume they were your stock wheels, but if they are, then yes they are cone seat. Therefore your McGard shank style open end lug nuts will not work.

alrighty then, all i need is the 1/2x20 size or do i need to know the knurl size or whatever its called.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So, I am in the same position as classic, or will be soon. I was afraid of the answer when I read his question. I am thinking that a long ass stud hanging out of my Razors, with open ended lugs is gonna look like ass.

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
yeah i got to see for a somewhat lengthy lug nut so i dont see a good portion of the studs with my street rims on.

or i was thinking this and just put up with the assed out look it may bring
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-70983/

ok from ford the part number for open end lug nuts are M-1012-G which are labeled as 79-04 mustangs and cobras with longer studs but are still 1/2-20 with 60degree cone seat and 13/16" hex, so yes they will work for us as well.

i just ordered from poweredbyford.com and are 4.95 per pack of 5

Last edited by a moderator:

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
Get em thru amazon.com
Cheaper than summit and free shipping.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back