MDRS 2010

kdesigns

forum member
Reaction score
Didn't know if this should go under Home Improvement or Hobbies, but since it involved a kitchen remodel...

MDRS is the Mars Desert Research Station, located near Hanksville, UT. I was part of the team that went out last week to do some work on the "Hab". Artemis is the mission director, Gary Fisher was in charge of getting the grey water reclamation back up and working, Laksen Sirimane, Joshua Nelson and I were the grunts.

MDRS at 4AM - Note the Big Dipper to the right of the photo.
mdrswbigdipper2010.jpg

The Kitchen "Before". notice that the A/C unit is actually resting on the top of the cabinets, and supported with rope. Fun!
kitchenbefore.jpg

After. The A/C is now properly supported, cabinets installed, plumbing rerouted, one window trimmed (the other is ready, just had to wait until the counter top dried before installing it).
kitchenafter.jpg

Note - Artemis and Josh will be there until Tuesday getting the doors/drawers finished and getting everything put back in it's place.

Ikea assembly :-(
I don't "assemble, I was busy replumbing the sink and patching drywall :)
laksenartemis.jpg

The University Rover Challenge was taking place at MDRS at the same time. Oregon State U won the competition:
osu1.jpg

The OS rover - notice the white trucks in the background - they were filming a movie right across the road from the Hab!
osu2.jpg

There is a major Dino "dig" going on about 2 miles from the Hab. But, there is also a major dino find about 500 yards from the Hab. Can you find the Dino in this photo?
dino1.jpg

Right here! The "Dino" people will be doing an excavation on this mound in the near future.
dino2.jpg

Here's a shot showing a piece that has broken off, revealing the actual fossil. Cool stuff!
dino3.jpg

This was my 3rd trip to MDRS, thanks Sara (Mom-in-law) for the experience!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back