Meguiar's Compound Question?

SilverBolt

Its "just" a sixer.
Reaction score
Tomorrow I plan on fully detailing my car. I was wondering which product would you guys recommend using by hand.
- Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
- Meguiar's Swirl X
- Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0

I don't have a porter cable that is why I am resorting to doing it by hand.
Thanks in advance for any responses!

RDK

forum member
Reaction score
if you cant feel anything.. use ultimate comp. its the best out there..

but you should wax it after using it.. you can use the ultimate up to 5 coats..

If you have any questions let me know, as i was am sponsored by meguiars for about 7 yrs

SilverBolt

Its "just" a sixer.
Reaction score
If you have any questions let me know, as i was am sponsored by meguiars for about 7 yrs

Here is my plan of attack for tomorrow:

1. Wash car in some dish washing soap to strip any old wax.
2. After drying I then plan to clay bar the entire car.
3. Then I'm going to use one of the previously mentioned compounds on the car.
4. I will follow that up with 1 coat of nxt 2.0 wax and 1 coat of gold class wax.
5. Finally soak my arm in some ice after all that labor.

Any steps you think should be moved around?

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would go with a polishing compound, then your final wax with NXT 2.0...

bullitt 736

Reaction score
Apply one thin coat of NXT. Allow to cure indoors for 12 hours. Apply a second coat. Cure 12 hours. Then apply the Gold Class. This will protect you for quite a while.

If you skip the second NXT coat, still let the NXT cure before applying the Gold Class.

Don't worry about cure time if you only apply a siongle coat of NXT although I wouldn't go outin a rain storm immediately.

Last edited:

SilverBolt

Its "just" a sixer.
Reaction score
Apply one thin coat of NXT. Allow to cure indoors for 12 hours. Apply a second coat. Cure 12 hours. Then apply the Gold Class. This will protect you for quite a while.

If you skip the second NXT coat, still let the NXT cure before applying the Gold Class.

Thanks! I didn't know you had to let the stuff cure.

topbliss

Reaction score
Thanks! I didn't know you had to let the stuff cure.

you don't.. I have no idea where he got that but with gold class and NXT no cure time is not recommended by Maguires... Bullitt, can you explain to us more??

Last edited:

SRTthis

Reaction score
id use meg prof fine cut cleaner after clay bar
then meg prof show car glaze
then meg prof hi-tech yellow wax

ive had good results with this. but have since moved to britemax products but its hard to find

bullitt 736

Reaction score
you don't.. I have no idea where he got that but with gold class and NXT no cure time is not recommended by Maguires... Bullitt, can you explain to us more??

Actually Meguiars doesn't recommend layering. They recommend a single coat of NXT so cure time does not apply, therefore no mention.

Most sealants do require curing to set up if applying a second coat of sealant or a carnuba topper.

Autogeek eludes to it in their "How to"
http://autogeek.net/car-wax-detailing.html

The sealant I use specifically calls for curing.
http://autogeek.net/wg5500.html

DKS's first post in his stickie mentions it too.
http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40276

I just apply what a few products call for across the board if they don't specifically address it. Hope this helps.

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score
Just a tid bit. Meguire's also calls it wax, but it's a sealant. They may not recommend letting it cure, but almost any sealant requires curing time for it to bond to the paint properly. Yes, it might not be necessary, but it's not a bad idea, either. I've tired it both ways, and when you let it cure before you apply the wax you get a much better end result. If you wax too quickly after the sealant you can get a splotchy appearance and requires much more hand polishing to get the finish where you want it. Just my 2 cents.

And yes, with the choices you have, doing it by hand, I'd use the UC. Scratch X is for spot treatment, that's why it comes in a tiny bottle. Swirl X is less aggressive the UC and will take more work if you're doing it by hand.

SilverBolt

Its "just" a sixer.
Reaction score
I went ahead and allowed the nxt 2.0 to cure for about 18 hours inside my garage and then applied a thin layer of gold class wax. The Ultimate Compound worked awesome and got almost all the micro-scratches/swirls out. I'll post some pics of the finished product tomorrow!

Thanks for everyone's advice!

topbliss

Reaction score
I went ahead and allowed the nxt 2.0 to cure for about 18 hours inside my garage and then applied a thin layer of gold class wax. The Ultimate Compound worked awesome and got almost all the micro-scratches/swirls out. I'll post some pics of the finished product tomorrow!

what the heck then.. Il give it a try over the winter on my car too then!

DKS

Wax on, Wax off.
Reaction score

Link the post in here if you don't post the pix in this thread.

SilverBolt

Its "just" a sixer.
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't gotten around to posting some pics yet. I've been swamped with school, getting ready for midterms. Tomorrow I'm going to cruse around and find a decent spot to take some pics!

SilverBolt

Its "just" a sixer.
Reaction score
what the heck then.. Il give it a try over the winter on my car too then!

I was super skeptical about the benefits of using a compound. After using it however, it changed my mind completely. I definitely recommend giving it a try.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back