MGW Gen3 RACE SPEC shifter Install:

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
So Hamilton, you went with the non-RACE Spec shifter and metal bushings? Seems like George figured out that the side to side deflection of the shifter can be almost completely eliminated with a metal bushing!!!!! The superior shifter's he makes is just Lagniappe!!!!! No need for 14 tons of mangled hardware powder coated blue that INCREASES NVH for 99.9% of its users trying to replicate what George does with a single bushing change. LOL!!! Genius!!!:laughlots:

Yeah ended up getting bushings and shifter on a deal from George for $345 total, hoping it gives sufficient results to avoid buying the $500 shipped for the race spec

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
I just ordered the metal bushings to use with my newly acquired Barton and barton 2 post setup.. I just recently started to get lockout above 7500 rpm.. Now my car has (clutch, flywheel, AM SR short shifter, Jpc clutch line, JHR rear bracket, helper spring removed and amsoil trans fliud and dot 4 fluid) Car just this last track outing wouldn't shift above 7500 First time ever for me and this trans.. So we will see how the bushings and new shifter with the 2 post bracket works.. Last effort before a t56 magnum goes in or a auto swap..

what clutch you using Kevin? if I end up having to pay outta pocket for a transmission rebuild, I'm gonna do a clutch as well

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk

stang8psi

forum member
Reaction score
what clutch you using Kevin? if I end up having to pay outta pocket for a transmission rebuild, I'm gonna do a clutch as well

sent from my HTC M8 using tapatalk

I am using a spec 3 and I don't like it.. It chatters and its more of an on/off switch! I want to change it to a mcloed but I don't want to drop that coin on that twin disc clutch when ultimately the mt82 will eventually be taken out.. I am until that time though going to possibly change to a 2+ disc ($175.00 from spec for new disc) to make it more street friendly.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
I am using a spec 3 and I don't like it.. It chatters and its more of an on/off switch! I want to change it to a mcloed but I don't want to drop that coin on that twin disc clutch when ultimately the mt82 will eventually be taken out.. I am until that time though going to possibly change to a 2+ disc ($175.00 from spec for new disc) to make it more street friendly.
yeah I had a Spec Stage 3 in my old Fox Saleen that Steve now owns, it was either off or on, lol no in between, and you could not slip it at all! Im looking at doing a Exedy Mach 500 since my horsepower level will remain where it is right now, so I dont need a $800+ clutch

I'm running the Ram 9.5" Twin Disk at 700+ rwhp and it's smooth like buttah. Feels like stock.
yeah man, I hear the twin disc are the way to go, I just dont need that much clutch for my mild just over 400rwhp car

stang8psi

forum member
Reaction score
I have also been tossing around the idea of the exedy Mach 600 kit.. I want to make a couple hits on nitrous but also want a street able setup.. this spec is so hard to drive... not sure if just changing out the disc to a 2+ will make driving more enjoyable

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
I have also been tossing around the idea of the exedy Mach 600 kit.. I want to make a couple hits on nitrous but also want a street able setup.. this spec is so hard to drive... not sure if just changing out the disc to a 2+ will make driving more enjoyable

yeah it will help, the stage 3 is a 6 puck disc if I remember correctly, the 2+ will help drivabilty greatly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullitt boy

Reaction score
So what I am getting from this is the Blowfish racing that I just received today is not going to be a good addition to my drive train when added to my MGW shifter that is already in the car ? I don't have the "race" MGW so I thought this would be a good set up. Any one who has the same set up and drives their car often please chime in.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
So what I am getting from this is the Blowfish racing that I just received today is not going to be a good addition to my drive train when added to my MGW shifter that is already in the car ? I don't have the "race" MGW so I thought this would be a good set up. Any one who has the same set up and drives their car often please chime in.

The Blowfish bracket is for the MT-82. Not sure if it works with the 3650 in your Bullitt.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
no this is for the 2014 with the procharger. the Bullitt has the t56 with a steeda tri ax we also adapted a CHE torque limiter onto the t56 and has no issues at all
I have the MGW in the new car.
just bought a ton of mods for the 2014 GHIG , Koni yellows, p springs , TSS billet oil pump gears , 4;10s, MMS castor / camber plates and the BFR shifter bracket. I want it to all come together as well as the bullitt has. .I have to get it down to JPC and get the ID1000s and get it dyno tuned. We did the data logging and it went well but I think there is more to be had, it made 547 rwhp /437 tq

Last edited:

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
If you have the non-race spec MGW the blowfish bracket will complement it. I am looking at picking up the new solid bushings since I dont have the coin to swap to the race spec.

steve13gt

forum member
Reaction score
Does the new Race Spec MGW increase NVH over the previous model? And does the previous model increase NVH over stock.. Been looking at these for a long time.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I think not expecting NVH and getting race spec parts are kind of at odds with each other.

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
Does the new Race Spec MGW increase NVH over the previous model? And does the previous model increase NVH over stock.. Been looking at these for a long time.

steve13gt:

The MGW Race Spec shifter is as quiet as stock. The R/S did not come with a heat shield and DynaMat like the previous MGW did but it did come with a noise pad that sits on the tunnel (under the stock piece) and MGW provided three pieces of heat shield/quieting material that can be stuck onto the shifter box. I have not crawled under the car to put those three pieces on yet but there is no increase in NVH inside the cabin. YMMV.

Chris

steve13gt

forum member
Reaction score
Just seems to be so many options/combos now
I was just going to go with the MGW shifter "original?" Then I was waiting for this revised shifter but the name "race spec" implies added NVH (@fdjizm) but doesn't mean it necessarily does. Maybe I'll wait out a few more reviews for what the "best" combo is. With the new MGW being mounted firmly to the transmission, and firmly to the body, is it not acting like a transmission mount almost?

MGW+Street Blowfish
MGW Race Spec
MGW Street

steve13gt

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe Ill have to review the install.. I thought it had a solid mount to the body behind the shifter

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back