Mick's DIY Stealth Blower Pully Thread

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
Micke's DIY Stealth Blower Pulley Thread

Prob'ly been done before; I couldn't find it.

Various reasons for doing this; you decide if it's worth it or not. One added reason to all that for mine: Was a used pulley and a bit chewed up on the front most visible pulley lip.

Materials left over from painting stainless exhaust tips. I thought I may as well use 'em again here. Didn't know if 220# would be rough enough for material to be removed or not but it was:

stealt10.jpg

anodiz10.jpg

Aluminum is soft, so after anodizing was gone, it went fast. Frickin' evil incriminating lettering is GONE:

letter10.jpg

Pulley cleaned a lot and masked. Red arrow points to a contaminant I missed which caused a colossal fish eye.

maskin10.jpg

so_cal10.jpg

Suggestions/warnings: "Chirping" threads say that among the dozens of reasons that cause the dreaded chirping noise, paint rubbing against belt can do it. So I masked to avoid this; used razor knife to fine cut masking tape around the top of the inner bevel of the pulley rim

Micke

Last edited:

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
it'll do. no more "arrest me" 'SVT Cobra 3.25' bright silver stamped text.

itll_d11.jpg

Last edited:

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
I can't recommend paint that stays as ridiculously soft as SEM ProMax. Use anything else. I'm thinking Krylon Fusion would probably be better with no primer bs at all.

Last edited:

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
Thump RRR 3.1" Whipple Pulley - excellent value, IMHO

During data logging, I'd set up a MAP sensor and logged blower boost. For my very high altitude and stock long block, I noted that a 3.00" pulley was just a tad too much but that a 3.25" pulley was leaving some boost on the table. I couldn't find any affordable 3.1 or 3.125" 8 rib pulleys back then. So I stayed with the 3.25" pulley... until now.

I recently noticed that Thump RRR is making Whipple 8 rib pulleys in 2.9" and 3.1" and better yet, the price is $95..! Readily available in plain aluminum color or special order in other colors, so I went with aluminum figuring it would better match the rest of the belt "wheels".

They shipped pronto as always and it got here today. Nice looking design and appears very strong. Name and size are deeply stamped, so 'stealthing' this pulley is gonna take some serious sanding. Fortunately, the front of the pulley is plenty thick so the sanding won't compromise the lip 'er whatever ya' want to call it:

thump_10.jpg

Back view:

thump_11.jpg

Machining looks to me to be well done and though there are some minor burs here and there on the inner lightening holes, I count this product as an excellent value for the price point. :thumb: Since I'm sanding anyway, I'll take the burs down too, mask the grooves and clearcoat the front facing areas.

Ok. Time to eat some aluminum dust and then some more pics.

Last edited:

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, that text was deep

I figure the text on the pulley must have been roll stamped because it was extremely deep. It took a lot more sanding/lapping than I expected. One hour and 17 minutes using 100# ruby emery paper on a flat surface and a bunch of criss cross, circles, figure 8's, etc. And that was just the rough sanding. It's too much hand sanding and I don't recommend it & probably wouldn't do it again.

I have a tabletop belt sander but I was concerned I'd never keep the surfaces parallel if I used that.

If I had it to do again, I'd probably try the obvious like see if Thump could make one special order without text or have a machine shop turn the front face on a lathe. Anyway, the text is gone. Here it is rough sanded:

thump_12.jpg

So did it leave enough lip thickness? Looks like it did:

thump_13.jpg

Ok, on to finer grits, sanding down some burs, prep for clearcoat...

Last edited:

MountainMichael

forum member
Reaction score
finish sanded/scotch brited

I guess this will have to do since I'm tired of sanding.

finish10.jpg

On to masking and clearcoat.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back