Minimum Brake Pad Thickness - Track Use

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that allowing the brake pads to get too worn results in more heat transfer to the caliper and thus the fluid,i.e. the pads act as an insulator.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience on this?

For track days how far do you let your pads get worn before you replace them?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I change them once the rotors crack... Seriously. Plenty of thickness remaining, but the heat has done its damage, so...

If you've got less than 50% of the pad material remaining, I would change them out before I leave for the track...

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
My thoughts/practices:

If you hit 50% or think you will during your next track day, have a fresh set on-hand and be ready to swap them in between sessions if necessary.

All the pads I've seen have at least one groove in them that will give you an indication of remaining pad life as well. You can measure this (roughly) on-car or if you have fixed calipers you can pull the pads. Measure the depth using this groove before the first session when you are setting up your car for the day. Then you can measure again after each session (or perhaps halfway through the day) to see roughly how much pad is consumed per session.

Typically once this groove has worn away and the pad face is all uniform height, the pads will have to be changed before going on-track again.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back