Misfire.....?

randys06v6

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so I did the one thing I swore myself I would never do..... Take it to a ford mechanic.... He said its misfire ..... But he doesn't know what from. ...

How the hell is this misfire?!?! lol

I can almost reanact it whenever I want. I just have to barely put the motor under load as you can tell I was doing. Then let it idle when I feel it running rough.

Then, all I got to do is rev it up and it goes away. How the hell is that misfire lol

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Did you take off your covers and check the followers? Cams look good? Sounds like a follower is banging, I've heard it before. Sounds pretty serious though.

randys06v6

forum member
Reaction score
Raised idle. Followers all look great. Thing is. When your trying to pinpoint. It doesn't sound like it comes from under the valve covers. More centralized. And it has hesitation/misfire when accelerating from a slow roll or stop but goes away when you get up into the rpms

randys06v6

forum member
Reaction score
Oil pressure perhaps? How would I go about on checking that with a mechanical gauge

randys06v6

forum member
Reaction score
Fuck me running. How does the car feel driving? Totally normal?

Car feels strong as hell. When I drove it until it get hot is only time it does this. It's not a consistent thing but I know how to reenact it easily. And it doesn't sound like it fires on all 8 cylinders when it happens

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Oil pressure perhaps? How would I go about on checking that with a mechanical gauge

Assuming you've got the mechanical gauge already. Remove the factory sensor (driver's side of the block, you can get to it from under the car), install the fitting/line from the new gauge, and tape the gauge to your windshield for a run up and down the highway.

Have you checked to see if there are any codes? There can be one even with the engine light off.

I need to go read your other threads if this isn't your first time with this problem.

randys06v6

forum member
Reaction score
Assuming you've got the mechanical gauge already. Remove the factory sensor (driver's side of the block, you can get to it from under the car), install the fitting/line from the new gauge, and tape the gauge to your windshield for a run up and down the highway.

Have you checked to see if there are any codes? There can be one even with the engine light off.

I need to go read your other threads if this isn't your first time with this problem.

Yes I have the gauge. No codes at all. Checked that as well. And your meaning the censor next to the oil filter?

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score

Good point. However, not all scanners will recognize this. I have multiple scanners and amazingly they can all tell me different things. For instance my small Launch Code/Data Reader might not recognize something that the shops Snap On scanner will. It is a Full Blown Verus.

randys06v6

forum member
Reaction score
Good point. However, not all scanners will recognize this. I have multiple scanners and amazingly they can all tell me different things. For instance my small Launch Code/Data Reader might not recognize something that the shops Snap On scanner will. It is a Full Blown Verus.

Hmm. Well all I used was my sct tuner lol

lee12609

forum member
Reaction score
low oil pressure to the phaser, cam timing gets out of whack and valvetrain gets loud, increase RPM and pressure increases to the phaser and the problem goes away. thats my theory anyway.

randys06v6

forum member
Reaction score
low oil pressure to the phaser, cam timing gets out of whack and valvetrain gets loud, increase RPM and pressure increases to the phaser and the problem goes away. thats my theory anyway.

So maybe vct solenoids? Or pressure problem elsewhere

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I have no clue if he scanned it at all lol

That would be my first thing to do. If a customer is complaining about a "Possible" Misfire the vehicle needs to be scanned. The High end scanners allow us to see data that the basic code readers/scanners do not.

Back