Modding 2010 gt help.

drewmarsh53

Reaction score
Hey there, i'm new to this forum. I'm also new to mustangs as of last year when i bought my 2010 gt. I have very basic knowledge but have studied some forums, so i know atleast how to ask for help :D. So i've pretty much knocked out all my appearance mods early in and now i yearn for more power. It seems to be a common illness, heh. So first things first, my mustang is a daily driver. So i'm not looking for extreme power, but i would definately like some more aggression under the hood. As of now i have done:
c&l cold air intake ( no tune )
40 series flowmaster dual exhaust
The rest is apperance mods:
Louvers
nitto extreme zr tires
gt500 black matte wheels
racing stripes
tint
From what i have read it seems almost 50/50 on people opinions. Many suggest going Intake/cams/headers combos and others mention that you could get more out of supercharging for almost the same price when you consider labor for the i/c/h combo. I also am not really sure what kind of suspension work or supporting mods i will need either way. I've heard lowering the car is a great idea. The 2010 gts claim 315 hp stock, and my goal is to be somewhere between 450-500hp. My budget isn't exactly limited, but like i said before, i dont want top of the line everything/ unfathomable power,heh. 450-500hp will make me a happy man. The best bang for your buck kinda attitude. Open to any and all opinions.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
blower

/thread

Moved - this is not a tech topic here. Please review the following:

1)
search_it_noob.gif

2) read:
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/announcement.php?f=19

3) review:
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30272

antonio1988

Redline: 8600rpm
Reaction score
From what I have come to learn on both the S197 platform and with the Z, the best money you spend would be to do an overhaul of the suspension. It will make more of an impact than adding 200hp any day of the week and make the car much more fun to drive.

You won't find that a whole lot of this advice in the forum because everyone wants more power, I want to put it all to the ground

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For you to reach your wanted goals of approx 450 hp get a blower/turbo. Don't waste your time and money trying to achieve that 450 hp goal NA because on a 3V it ain't going to happen...period.

There will be those that will say it can be done but not at the price of which a turbo/blower costs.

S&H Performance has a very good product/pricing that would fit your power goals, if turbo's are not your thing there are superchargers for sale in the classified section that are reasonably priced.

As stated when you get the power you need to get it to the tires or all you are going to have is a spin fest; there are a lot of good choices out there for suspension parts, I recommend contacting Sam Strano as he is very knowledgable about suspension parts, he road races and has drag raced and get can you pointed in the right direction; keep in mind that look good parts don't always mean go fast parts, if you lower the car the lowering springs won't work as well as other springs when it come to road racing/drag racing. You need to decide/tell us what you want the car to do/be setup for before recommendations can be given.

drewmarsh53

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. So to answer your question greg hazlett, i don't plan on doing drag racing really. It's pretty much gonna be a street car that i will occasionally to 1/4 mile just for fun. I don't plan on being competitive with it or anything. I was actually leaning more towards the s/c r turbo too. Say i did find one that i actually wanted and was ready to purchase, would there be any supporting mods i need to get as well or do the kits typically come with what you need to run safely on a basically stock engine? It looks like some combination of blower/turbo or sc with suspension upgrades will get me what im looking for.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Depends on the kits you look at but things you will want to ensure are included and if not budget for/buy are 1 step heat range colder plugs-for your car the NGK 7554's, a MAFia, 39 lb injectors and probably a BAP (Boost a pump)

For suspension that is preferrence, if you want looks over performance than 1.5 lowering springs would be fine and any of the aftermarket LCA's will be an improvement over stock.

iceguyb14

Mustang Fanatic
Reaction score
I personally would recommend getting a roush supercharger. the m90 with a pulley and tune will put you over 450hp at the crank and make the car a blast to drive, but not require major engine work or a new clutch, etc. i'd also recommend lowering it with some springs, but not so far that you need new struts/shocks. some steed sport springs would work great. you'll also want a new adjustable panhard bar to center the rear after the drop. some new lower control arms would be great too to help combat wheelhop. as far as other appearance things id recommend, i'd get the cdc chin spoiler and side splitters and a gt500 rear valance and spoiler. the combination of those items look great on the cars (i had it on my 2010 I had).

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
The M90 is not a good blower for v8. It was designed for v6 and already turns too fast and runs hot. Plus you want an intercooler you'll be nothing but sorry without one.

iceguyb14

Mustang Fanatic
Reaction score
The M90 is not a good blower for v8. It was designed for v6 and already turns too fast and runs hot. Plus you want an intercooler you'll be nothing but sorry without one.

Pshh there are PLENTY of people running it on the 4.6 without problems. Don't push it to 12psi or 14 or something, but at 8psi it's fine.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought the M90's came with the intercooler, it's built into the blower and takes the place of the stock intake...and they come with a heat exchanger, no?

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score
Pshh there are PLENTY of people running it on the 4.6 without problems. Don't push it to 12psi or 14 or something, but at 8psi it's fine.

The problem with the M90 is that it is a small inefficient blower priced like a larger better blower. For roughly the same price you can get an intercooled Paxton or Vortech Centri and make more power and be more efficient. Price the M90 in the $3,800 range and it would be a better buy IMO.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

It cant even make 12psi or 14psi on a v8 lol, you'd be hard pressed to see 8psi as it is. At 6psi it already falls outside the efficiencey range and is close to max blower rpm on a 281 with a 6200 rpm red line.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Countdown to the M90 head cheerleader arriving...5...4...3...2.....

Nick? Oh Nick...?

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
id say contact beefcake on a paxton 2200 for your power needs,and a great price.

drewmarsh53

Reaction score
Great accessory ideas iceguyb14. I think I'm good on appearance for now though. Money that could be spent towards performance :D. So I think I'm leaning towards the vortech or the paxton superchargers. There are pretty varying prices/results from both superchargers. Any opinions on which gives the best bang for your buck? I saw a vortech one on americanmuscle for $4k that gets me up to 420hp from 315hp stock. Not sure if its better to just save for the high output one and push close to 500hp or not. Also Paxtons 2200 novi gets up to a 170hp increase haven't seen the price forthat

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you look at the Vortech for sale in the classifieds? That is a good price.

If looking at new concur with contacting Beefacke for pricing; the Paxton 2200 will give you close to 500 to the wheels which is getting close to the max power the stock internals can handle.

The Vortech's do not make as much power but are "safer" since they don't get near the magical 500 hp mark where things can go south in a hurry....plus with the Paxton you have to do the MAFia, injectors, BAP, etc where as the Vortech is less power so you may not have to do all the others things up front.

A nice thing about the Vortech is you can "dial" up your power level; start with the 3.6 pulley and when you want more power a pulley costs around $40-50 used and $80 new so for relatively little money you can add 1-2 more lbs of boost which on average equates to 10-20 hp depending on supporting mods.

drewmarsh53

Reaction score
Greg, do you have a link to the vortech for sale in the classifieds? I couldn't seem to find it. And is beefcake the username of someone on this forum I'm guessing? Sorry to ask so much, heh.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back