Mods happening this Friday

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Richard is installing this on my baby this Friday....

Custom Stock-looking 2.6" Black Blower Pulley
Metco Idler - double bearing (Black)
Fluidyne Heat Exchanger
xCal3 Tuner & dyno tunes
NGK Plugs
Hypertech thermostat (160ºF)

:beerdrink:

Last edited:

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
Richard is installing this on my baby this Friday....

Custom Stock-looking 2.6" Black Blower Pulley
Metco Idler - double bearing (Black)
Fluidyne Heat Exchanger
xCal3 Tuner & dyno tunes
NGK Plugs
Hypertech thermostat (160ºF)

:beerdrink:

From my experience don't go with the Metco Idler if you don't want to deal with warranty issues. Just get the stock look idler from VMP as well. Learn from my mistake! :)

07stangcs

Undecided
Reaction score
Damn you Marc. I tried to hold my jealousy back after you traded my clone in for the black beast. Now your making me want to trade mine in on either a 5.0 or if i can find a deal on a used 500. Only problem is I just paid good money for my motor and heads 9 months ago an I won't get shit for that if I sell it. I have everything ready for my next power adder and all I need is anyone of the "tuner kits" for whatever I pick. I'm thinking a single 76mm .81ar on E85! So when u see Richard this Friday for the goodies, tell him some turbo E85 tuning maybe heading his way soon. Juuusssst maayyybe.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
From my experience don't go with the Metco Idler if you don't want to deal with warranty issues. Just get the stock look idler from VMP as well. Learn from my mistake! :)
Thanks for your concern, but I'd already ordered it; I wanted the quality of the Metco with double bearings, and I seriously don't think the Ford tech would be fooled by the fact that the idler looks like a stock item! The reason I'm using the stock-looking pulley is that it just looks right.

:) thanks

Damn you Marc. I tried to hold my jealousy back after you traded my clone in for the black beast..... tell him some turbo E85 tuning maybe heading his way soon. Juuusssst maayyybe.
will do. Your car IS sweet as well!

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for your concern, but I'd already ordered it; I wanted the quality of the Metco with double bearings, and I seriously don't think the Ford tech would be fooled by the fact that the idler looks like a stock item! The reason I'm using the stock-looking pulley is that it just looks right.

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=206&parent=104

vmp265.jpg

A Ford tech wouldn't looks twice at this and and the stock look pulley. It's a proven setup that runs on a ton of GT500s. As long as you haven't used the Metco you can return it. I thought people would have learned from my woes.:hammer:

Last edited:

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=206&parent=104

vmp265.jpg

A Ford tech wouldn't looks twice at this and and the stock look pulley. It's a proven setup that runs on a ton of GT500s. As long as you haven't used the Metco you can return it. I thought people would have learned from my woes.:hammer:

Richard trusts the Metco and the positioning of that idler versus the pulley is such that wraps the belt around the smaller diameter pulley for more of its diameter.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
A Ford tech wouldn't looks twice at this and and the stock look pulley.
I work at a Ford dealer, I work on these cars on the side, I've modded them, I sell performance parts, I've driven them, etc... And even I would never know the difference.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After doing a baseline pull on the dyno, the aftermarket JLT airfilter I'd previously installed (in my "infinite wisdom") flowed so much better than the stock unit, that it made the MAF sensor go haywire and the motor was running too lean and I was actually losing power (max sustained 415 rear wheel hp). So Richard put in a stock tune that he adjusted to account for the airfilter and we did a 2nd baseline pull; 438 rwhp....much better, especially given the 90*F plus ambient temps.

The fluidyne heat exchanger has more than twice the capacity of the stock unit, and the 2.7" pulley (stock is 3") will spin the blower faster for 3 to 4 psi more of boost, which will not only generate an extra ~ 60 to 80 rwhp, but also result in the torque peak moving lower I the rpm range.

I'm hoping for 530 rwhp 502 rwtq.

Will keep you apprised of the final result. ;)

Last edited:

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I work at a Ford dealer, I work on these cars on the side, I've modded them, I sell performance parts, I've driven them, etc... And even I would never know the difference.

I'll post the pics when it's done. The pulley is like stock.

07stangcs

Undecided
Reaction score
Sissy...........

Trust me SD. If I thought I needed twins to reach my goal I'd take your stealth kit in a heartbeat. Frankly at my compression I don't think I'll need anything more than 10lbs to reach my power goal

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Trust me SD. If I thought I needed twins to reach my goal I'd take your stealth kit in a heartbeat. Frankly at my compression I don't think I'll need anything more than 10lbs to reach my power goal
dude, don't forget you need to do the fog-light deletes....you have unused potential there....

07stangcs

Undecided
Reaction score
Lmao! No fog delete for me... More worried about a baby car seat delete. This whole DD crap is killing me. Might have to use my Silverado as my DD and strip this car for a cage.

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
After doing a baseline pull on the dyno, the aftermarket airfilter I'd previously installed (in my "infinite wisdom") flowed so much better than the stock unit, that it made the MAF sensor go haywire and the motor was running too lean and I was actually losing power (max sustained 415 rear wheel hp). So Richard put in a stock tune that he adjusted to account for the airfilter and we did a 2nd baseline pull; 453 rwhp/438 rwtq....much better, especially given the 90*F plus ambient temps.

The fluidyne heat exchanger has more than twice the capacity of the stock unit, and the 2.7" pulley (stock is 3") will spin the blower faster for 3 to 4 psi more of boost, which will not only generate an extra ~ 60 to 80 rwhp, but also result in the torque peak moving lower I the rpm range.

I'm hoping for 530 rwhp 502 rwtq.

Will keep you apprised of the final result. ;)

If your pulling 453RWHP as a baseline I'm guessing you'll be around 510RWHP with the pulley swap. The jump isn't as big for 2010 owners as it is for 07-09 owners. We already have a more aggressive tune to start with.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If your pulling 453RWHP as a baseline I'm guessing you'll be around 510RWHP with the pulley swap. The jump isn't as big for 2010 owners as it is for 07-09 owners. We already have a more aggressive tune to start with.
Your comment was right on the money bpmurr. Ok so in my post above, I made the mistake of not looking at the CF on the baseline run...it was on STD. Looking at my runs in SAE, there's a 50 to 56 rwhp gain under 90% of the curve.

Not as high a gain as I expected, but the heat I'm sure had an effect. Richard says in this application, he sees a one-to-one ratio; for each degree of ambient temp lower, one rear-wheel horsepower gain.

However, the car feels a lot stronger, and I'm sure the much larger HE will have a beneficial effect decreasing heat soak. The stock HE is ridiculously small!

Last edited:

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pics of mods

Attachments

• IMG00238-20100807-1446.jpg
    IMG00238-20100807-1446.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back