Monitoring IAT temps on a KB

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Obviously we can monitor the temps datalogging, but does anyone have a gauge setup to monitor temps like the Saleen cars do? its something id like to have for sure

G.T

Reaction score
Obviously we can monitor the temps datalogging, but does anyone have a gauge setup to monitor temps like the Saleen cars do? its something id like to have for sure

i was thinking about this today :)
i run a whipple, and will be relocating the IAT sensor to the discharge side of the SC, so i'd wanna monitor both IAT sensor output to see what each one reads so i get a better idea of the difference in temps between intake air temp, and air charge temp (after compression/intercooling)

i guess i can always do with a voltmeter.. but there should be a gauge somewhere that can turn the voltage output of these sensors into the actual temperature reading.

GT4Dino

Whimple Whomper
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Why can't you just use the Saleen IAT guage with your setup? I believe that GI Joe is selling his as well.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i can of course, but i would like something at least similar to my nexus guages for the look as well. the saleen gauges dont do it for me lol

G.T

Reaction score
this is why i spent weeks researching ways to wire IAT2 and have the PCM read it.

i got all the wiring figured out, but Doug @ Bama told me it's very unlikely he could pick up the reading from IAT2 through the PCM or be able to use it to adjust timing accordingly.

sure it's the same PCM as in the GT500, but the functions driving the IAT2 sensors aren't there.

if anyone knows or thinks otherwise, i think that'd be the best solution out there.. being able to datalog IAT and IAT2/ACT straight through a scan tool :)

p.s: i got the nexus gauges too.. AFR, Boost/Vac, Fuel pres, Coolant temp :)

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
this is why i spent weeks researching ways to wire IAT2 and have the PCM read it.

i got all the wiring figured out, but Doug @ Bama told me it's very unlikely he could pick up the reading from IAT2 through the PCM or be able to use it to adjust timing accordingly.

sure it's the same PCM as in the GT500, but the functions driving the IAT2 sensors aren't there.

if anyone knows or thinks otherwise, i think that'd be the best solution out there.. being able to datalog IAT and IAT2/ACT straight through a scan tool :)

p.s: i got the nexus gauges too.. AFR, Boost/Vac, Fuel pres, Coolant temp :)

im under the assumption that the GT500 PCM is NOT the same as ours. also im not looking for any kind of PCM to pull timing or anything. i just want to monitor the IAT visually on a gauge of some sort in the car

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
im under the assumption that the GT500 PCM is NOT the same as ours. also im not looking for any kind of PCM to pull timing or anything. i just want to monitor the IAT visually on a gauge of some sort in the car
I would assume the GT500 is the same - just a different tune - neither appear to have any provision for IAT2 as GT appears to have confirmed...

Bummer - just did a quick search for temp gauges on autometers site and it looks pretty grimm even outside the nexus line...

I say carputer with a touchscreen in the dash... then you can log all you like...

Willie

Reaction score
This is the setup I have in my twin turbo Camaro. I hacked the original ashtray and installed three Nordskog digital air temp gauges under smoked plexiglas. From left to right:

L) Reads turbo inlet air temp,
C) Reads turbo outlet air temp upstream of the air-to-air intercoolers, &
R) Reads air temp downstream of the intercoolers, prior to entering the throttle body.

I use these three readings with the ECM IAT temps to compare with one another.

Attachments

• Air Temp Gauges Off.jpg
    Air Temp Gauges Off.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Air Temp Gauges On 1.jpg
    Air Temp Gauges On 1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 17

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
youve been banned haha. thanks for the link

G.T

Reaction score
Aeroforce or MSD DashHawk.. both are nice, both can read and datalog just about any parameter accessible through the OBD protocol..
However both are OBD tools, meaning they need to be plugged in to the OBD port right above your left leg.. pretty annoying especially for those driving stick.
i personally tried the smallest right angle OBD plugs i could find and they all bugged the hell out of me!

in any case, if that's not a problem with you then yeah, you can use that to view the IAT temp.

not sure if that's all you're after.. i personally (like what willie did) wanna view IAT and ACT, so i'm still stuck here

rog06gt

Mash it!!!
Reaction score
Aeroforce or MSD DashHawk.. both are nice, both can read and datalog just about any parameter accessible through the OBD protocol..
However both are OBD tools, meaning they need to be plugged in to the OBD port right above your left leg.. pretty annoying especially for those driving stick.
i personally tried the smallest right angle OBD plugs i could find and they all bugged the hell out of me!

in any case, if that's not a problem with you then yeah, you can use that to view the IAT temp.

not sure if that's all you're after.. i personally (like what willie did) wanna view IAT and ACT, so i'm still stuck here

If the plugs drives me nuts I'll just move it and tye-wrap it under the dash, make it so that I can easily retrieve it for use...
Cheers

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back