More Drone test flying (05 GT)

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
What kind of range are you expecting from the setup you have?

dougie b

Reaction score
deez. save yourself some time and coin. return the data link. DJI claims it's compatible, however on the phantoms, the "firmware" has still yet to be written. We are waiting for the day that the data link works with the phantom, since everyone wants it.

It's only ever worked with the 1.1.0 version because it has an original naza in it (which is what I use in my F550 hex). The new ones say "naza phantom" Many people get upset about this or frustrated that they were misled, but basically all that can be said is...."they're working on it"

time will tell. but I recommend you save yourself the install headache.:rant:

http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5830

striker 5

forum member
Reaction score
I would like to get into this also . So what is a good make to buy and to add to and mod as I learn . ( best bang for the $$$$$$)

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
deez. save yourself some time and coin. return the data link. DJI claims it's compatible, however on the phantoms, the "firmware" has still yet to be written. We are waiting for the day that the data link works with the phantom, since everyone wants it.

It's only ever worked with the 1.1.0 version because it has an original naza in it (which is what I use in my F550 hex). The new ones say "naza phantom" Many people get upset about this or frustrated that they were misled, but basically all that can be said is...."they're working on it"

time will tell. but I recommend you save yourself the install headache.:rant:

http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5830

Right on. I'll look into that.

dougie b

Reaction score
I would like to get into this also . So what is a good make to buy and to add to and mod as I learn . ( best bang for the $$$$$$)

striker 5 the company I work for sells DJI innovations, which is one of the leading manufacturers for the hobby/privatized market. I use a DJI F550 as my "daily" if you will, but I've used everything (brand wise) from Openpilot, gaui, freefly systems, blackout mini h, kk boards, etc. I tend to scratch build my helis (except the F550) so they are generally a lot of mix/match setups with custom motors.

DJI is easiest to get flying for beginners, and is great as an advanced flyer as well. The GPS and Return to Home is really what makes the icing on the cake for the DJI brand, although there are other brands that offer these functions.

I recommend a phantom or NAZA V2 flight controller (for any frame) to get started. These are the easiest to fly, with the phantom being complete Ready to fly out of the box.

dougie b

Reaction score
Deez, awesome! Glad you got the live feed working well. If you ever are looking for telemetry to show you info over the feed, check out the Mini iOSD (on screen display) and it will give you voltage, altimeter in m, velocity in m/s, pitch/roll angle, and a diamond that points to home. Also shows you flight mode and a basic artificial horizon. Best part is that it doesn't record on the gopro since it overlays onto the feed, not the cam, so you'll still have the same awesome HD video, but with info while you're flying

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Deez, awesome! Glad you got the live feed working well. If you ever are looking for telemetry to show you info over the feed, check out the Mini iOSD (on screen display) and it will give you voltage, altimeter in m, velocity in m/s, pitch/roll angle, and a diamond that points to home. Also shows you flight mode and a basic artificial horizon. Best part is that it doesn't record on the gopro since it overlays onto the feed, not the cam, so you'll still have the same awesome HD video, but with info while you're flying

We ordered one a few weeks ago and it should be here any day.

Have you heard much about the DJI stuff being sold in the US? I hard the guy in the US and the guy over seas are in a lawsuit with each other and might hold up sells here in the US.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score

Waiting on some new props and other goodies to come in and for a day when the wind isn't 30+. Trust me I want to get out and play with this thing a lot more.

Here is a some test flying around the bronco if you didn't see it in the other thread.

dougie b

Reaction score
What's the range?

legally you can go 400 feet AGL. with that said, youll get about 1km (yes metric) with the setup you see here. Battery life is what will be the biggest obstacle for most. I have setups that have capabilities of over 20km, just don't have enough power to carry the batteries to go that far. Those setups are more for fixed wing FPV.

Deez if you're wondering about Colin Guinn and the DJI injunction....there is a whole lotta mess about it, and now 31 of the 36 US dealers aren't allowed to receive shipments from DJI Hong Kong. I'm not 100% on this, but something about breaking an NDA....then accusations of wrongful termination. My shop is one of the very few not effected by this whatsoever, we were essentially "grandfathered" in. It's a blessing and a curse, we now have those distributers busting down our doors to get a hold of our stock, and we are growing quickly. The only problem is we are a bit unprepared for this spike in sales so our customer service struggles in certain areas (phones mainly). Rest assured if you guys ask for me at the shop, I would be glad to take care of ya.

I still do the art thing too! not too much time for that these days though... I do have custom painted helis though....

Last edited:

dougie b

Reaction score
Deez is it safe to post non car "flying" vids here now?? haha Here's another one of mine, I don't have other personal videos so I can't threadjack anymore lol :asskiss3:

Make sure its in 1080p, and some may not agree with the music, just a heads up!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back