motor turns over, no fire

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
ok guys i just got done doing a ported head swap on my mustang. mmr stage 3 heads with ground valve guides(that part scares me alittle but ill get to that later)

motors all back together i double checked all of the sensors, all the wiring's hooked up. i pulled the crank sensor and checked the plugs to make sure the pins werent bent. put a test light on the coil wires and checked fuel flow.

i cant find anything wrong. the coils are getting power, she's getting fuel but nothing. not even so much as a pop.

so my only ideas are this.

1. after talking to my tuner he suggested that maybe the plugs arnt firing. my test light only requires 6 volts to light and thats not enough to fire the coil packs. im going to pull a sparkplug and hook a coil pack to it to see if its actually firing(cue me getting the s$%t shocked out of me)

2. crank sensor rings on backwards......i know it isnt. you can only put it on two ways and i put it on with the sensor prongs facing forward. exactly as i pulled it off. but i did test fit other parts and remove it several times.... so i guess could have flipped it on accident. this would cause the ECU to fire the plugs out of time..... if the plugs are firing im going to pull a valve cover and check the timing sensor ring.

any one else have any ideas?

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
after 3 seconds of cranking i got a very soft pop. no big bang or anything.

i just realized my mod list isnt in my sig. my cars pretty heavily modified.

Engine mods:
cmdp
gt500 throttle body
JBA 1 7/8 inch headers
steeda UDP
comp mutha thumpr cams(with phase limiters)
stage 3 mmr heads
ford racing CAI

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With the maf unplugged start cranking and go wot and hold it for a little and see if it turns over also I would be jumping the car or have a battery tender hooked up at this point. It doesnt take but 3-4 hard cranking attempts to kill the battery most of the time.

Also I assume you have a new tune so try reloading it.

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
yeah ill put a battery tender on it. i reloaded the tune several times.

im absolutely sure i timed it right. i followed the ford manual to the letter. crank at 6 oclock, passenger cam at 11 and driver at 12. put the rainbow colored links onthe timing marks. little more to it then that but you get the idea. i cant see how some one could misstime it. but i know its possible. i sent pictures to my tuner before i closed her up. he said it was right.

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
im going to post up timing photos later. have yal critique it. i pulled the cam covers. the sensor ring is on correctly and facing forward. it leaves ignition as being the culprit unless its timed wrong.

i turned it over at WOT with the maf disconnected for about 8 seconds and got nothing.

bloody frustrating

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
How did you verify fuel? Can you here the pump run at initial key on?

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
yeah i hear the pump kick on and i can smell it after cranking. i may pull the fuel rail and turn it over and see if it squirts. i dont doubt theyr running perfectly though. garage smells bad like gas after turning it over several times

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
dump_110.jpg

passenger timing mark.

dump_111.jpg

driver side timing mark

dump_112.jpg

crank timing mark. trust me the other timing links behind it.

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
im an idiot im pretty sure i have the timing marks switched from left to right. can some one varify? i assumed ford did all timing from a rear perspective....

drivers side being left and passenger being right.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
im an idiot im pretty sure i have the timing marks switched from left to right. can some one varify? i assumed ford did all timing from a rear perspective....

It looks correct to me. R is the passenger side, L driver side.

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
well that makes me feel ALOT better. was worried i could have smashed something.... well now im back to it being an electrical problem......thats all i can come up with.

ARMORINE

forum member
Reaction score
its still got the old tune in it. new tune doesnt factor the heads in but i figured itd at least fire or pop or something. im gonna get my tuner over and have him look at it. i guess it could be rich but i dont think that would keep it from firing. we had it running rich before the heads.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
If it was rich to where it wouldn't start your plugs would be soaked in fuel. When I had cold start issues(rich on startup) it would at least crank for a second then shut off on the first try, after that it would not start. Pull the fuel pump relay and crank it over for 15 seconds or so to clear it out, then put the relay back in and try to crank it.

fivehunsky

forum member
Reaction score
Since you had the heads off you should start with a compression test to make sure your all good there.

Next try giving it a tiny bit of starting fluid while cranking and see if it makes a difference. DONT go crazy. just a TINY amount will make a difference between trying to start and doing nothing if its a fuel issue.

If that doesnt work then physically pull a coilpack and check the spark. Sometimes you cant get a good reading and its better to verify for yourself.

If thats not it then you can move on to other things. :)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back