Multiple starters don't fit with my headers.. what should I do?

kona_302R

Reaction score
I bought a pair of xforce 1-7/8ths headers for my 2011 mustang, and they are not cheap by any means for the record ($1,300). That being said they have had some of the worst fitting issues I have ever seen. I finally installed them and now the stock starter, Ford performance mini starter and a Powermaster mini XS all wont fit. Removing the headers is a herculean task so I don't want to swap them for different headers much less move them, do I buy a smaller starter (if there even is one) or do I hammer the headers? The mini XS is 1/2 inch (12-14mm) too long, and I am considering heating/hammering the headers to fit. Anything to get this over with at this point.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of xforce 1-7/8ths headers for my 2011 mustang, and they are not cheap by any means for the record ($1,300). That being said they have had some of the worst fitting issues I have ever seen. I finally installed them and now the stock starter, Ford performance mini starter and a Powermaster mini XS all wont fit. Removing the headers is a herculean task so I don't want to swap them for different headers much less move them, do I buy a smaller starter (if there even is one) or do I hammer the headers? The mini XS is 1/2 inch (12-14mm) too long, and I am considering heating/hammering the headers to fit. Anything to get this over with at this point.
Have you reached out to the header company? Many or Most of them have a suggested starter for the application. Where did you buy them from?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I Had to beat one of the tubes in pretty good to clear the steering shaft on my 12, even with steeda mounts and some shims. It doesn't effect the flow through that tube at all. You'll probably have to remove the header to dent it in though, might be kind of hard to do on the car. In my experience, those header tubes are harder to dimple/beat that you'd think.

bcrider

Reaction score
The XForce web site doesn't have headers for your year model. Maybe they quit selling because of fitment???

kona_302R

Reaction score
Have you reached out to the header company? Many or Most of them have a suggested starter for the application. Where did you buy them from?
I called them and they played dumb :rolleyes: they said no one else had fitment issues that required a new starter. Professional BS'er if you ask me. I ended up getting a fabricator to remove the primary that was in the way and replacing it with piping that was less in the way. Overall I do not recommend this company

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back