Mustang oil temperature OBD2 code?

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but it's more likely to be of interest to the people here than to nearly anyone else. So here goes.

I have a 2014 GT Premium with the track package as some of you guys know. I have the Scantool OBDLink MX and the Torque Pro application.

Torque Pro includes predefined manufacturer-specific code sets that you can activate in order to gain access to some of the manufacturer-specific data streams. You can also enter your own codes and formulae if you know them.

My link to the system is working fine, and some of the manufacturer-specific streams seem to be accessible. However, it seems that the oil temperature is not one of them, even though it's defined in the extended code set as well as having a different one available in the standard set.

But oil temperature is precisely the thing I'm most interested in accessing and logging, because I'm very concerned about keeping the oil temperature in check on the track. While I'm not modifying the powertrain at all and the car does have the Boss 302 style oil "cooler" (that some seem to regard more as an oil "heater" than cooler) as well as the larger radiator, both of which come standard with the track package, I'm still nonetheless concerned about monitoring the oil temperatures and ensuring they don't get too high.

And so, my question: what's the OBD2 code for the oil temperature on the Mustang, and what's the formula for converting the resulting value to a temperature?

Is anyone here able to actually monitor their oil temperature through the OBD2 port, or does it demand a separate sensor? Because there's an oil temperature display in the "gauges" that's available on the center LCD display, I'm inclined to think that the data is probably being broadcast on the bus, and it's just a question of knowing how to ask for it.

I've searched the entire internet via Google, using multiple search patterns over the past few days, and have come up empty handed. Help!

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
Oil temp in the gauges is a calculation based on cylinder head temperature, load and coolant temperature. I never found a code for it.

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
The stock track apps do not even have oil temp. It just has Normal and High... Best bet is likely to actually plumb a sensor in to the oil pan. This is obviously not ideal on a new car...

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Pop a sender in the pan and run a seperate gauge would be the easiest way.

Is there any way to do that such that its output would go onto the OBD2 data bus, so as to be able to be logged along with all the other parameters via Torque?

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Oil temp in the gauges is a calculation based on cylinder head temperature, load and coolant temperature. I never found a code for it.

It must be based on more than that, because I've seen cases where the load was low (idle), the coolant temperature low-ish, the CHTs low, but the oil temperature was higher than what it shows when those things are the same but the situation different.

Which is to say, if the car starts off cold, then at the point at which the CHT and coolant temps reach a certain point, the oil temperature will still show relatively low. But if the car starts off hot and you let it sit for a little while, enough to drop the CHT and coolant temps down to the same point as before, the oil temperature will still read much higher than it did in the "start off cold" scenario.

I dunno, maybe the computer is integrating something over time or something of that sort, thus making the oil temperature indication a "theoretical" value or something. That would make it pretty useless as a trouble indicator, though.

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
I'm sure that when Ford developed the calculation, they did it with appropriate modeling of the system based on gigabytes of parameter measurements. The first time I heard of this approach to oil temp reporting was on my BMW M3, which also lacks a sensor for oil temp, but it has a real OT gauge on the dashboard under the tachometer. The BMW owners that cross-checked with a real gauge said they didn't find much difference between the two measurements. And, we all know that anything BMW can do, Ford can do better.

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
Supposedly, according to an oil viscosity thread somewhere in this forum, there is a table in the ecu that maps expected oil temperature to expected cam revolution timing. Maybe engine oil temp is estimated by looking up the entry in this table.

Edit:

Found the post.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1860877

The table that poster was talking about makes MUCH more sense if it is testing cam duty cycle and using that to derive oil temp.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What calculation are you guys on about? There is no Oil Temp parameter that I can access via OBD-II.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The oil temp parameter on the OBD port is bogus..ignore it. You need a dedicated sensor. Each of my 3 x aeroforce gauges has a PAIR of AUX inputs....for stuff like oil temps, HE temps, AFR ( 05-10 cars etc, etc), oil pressure etc.

There is no way to feed the extra sensor outputs back to the ecu ether. My aeroforce gauges only read data from the OBD port. The odd ball stuff that requires sensors to be installed... then have those outputs fed directly to the aeroforce aux inputs.

Unless your scantool obd box has an aux analog input ( to read any extra sensors you intstal like oil temp and oil pressure... you are out of luck.

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
There is no PID (OBD code) for oil temp in a Coyote ECU. There is an internal calculation of oil temperature that the ECU does for its own use, like the valve timing management. The dashboard display in the track apps uses this internal calculation.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
There is no PID (OBD code) for oil temp in a Coyote ECU. There is an internal calculation of oil temperature that the ECU does for its own use, like the valve timing management. The dashboard display in the track apps uses this internal calculation.

Are all the parameters that are used for this calculation available via OBD? I expect not, but if they are, then it would be sensible to log them and compute the oil temperature from them during analysis of the logged data.

Of course, that presumes that one knows the formula for computing the temperature, and if there are lookup tables involved, then there's probably no way to reasonably do this.
icon8.gif

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know the calculation itself - that probably comes from Bosch; they provide the ECU technology, as I understand it. When I did all my track-day datalogging on my 5.0 I just tracked CHT and coolant temp. My pillar mounted oil temp gauge never went high enough to concern me.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back