NA GT 2006 belt issues

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
I started having bad belt squeal last year. Replaced belt and tensioner and it stopped. Got my car out of storage after 2 months and the squealing has started again. It only does it if I rev over 2500 rpm while driving or just revving the motor. Sounds like it's coming from the power steering pump pulley area. I did buy a dayco belt from autozone. Could it have stretched? I had a lot of guys are running the gates hd belts but they are $79. I don't really won't to buy one and have it not solve the problem. Any ideas?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check ur pulley alignment?

Also the Gates belts can be had Off Amazom for $40 or less in my experience.

twizted91gt

Reaction score
Start by removing belt and checking all the idler pullies to make sure they spin free.
Belt squeal generally comes from insufficient tension on the belt so reinstall belt and check tension. Have someone rev engine and look for belt deflection in diff areas. You may have just got unlucky with a junk belt or one that was made slightly too long.

SuperSleeper

Reaction score
I started having bad belt squeal last year. Replaced belt and tensioner and it stopped. Got my car out of storage after 2 months and the squealing has started again. It only does it if I rev over 2500 rpm while driving or just revving the motor. Sounds like it's coming from the power steering pump pulley area. I did buy a dayco belt from autozone. Could it have stretched? I had a lot of guys are running the gates hd belts but they are $79. I don't really won't to buy one and have it not solve the problem. Any ideas?

Make sure your belt is sitting properly in the pulley and not riding too deep,likestkjock stated check the pulley alignment.

Pardue

forum member
Reaction score

I had this same problem and went through several belts. After replacing all of the idlers and the tensioner it still had a squeal on rainy days. After checking all of the other pullies, I found my alternator pulley to be spinning slightly warped. I also noticed my p/s pulley wobbled a little bit. I bought a Gatorback belt and it solved my issue. I still have not changed the alternator or messed with the p/s pulley and it has been noise free for a year and a half.

Back