need GT500 fuel pump harness help

BlueDevil

BOOSTED!
Reaction score
Searching has not gotten me the help I need, so here goes.
Car is 2006 GT.

TL/DR: My used GT500 fuel pump harness does not match the Ford Racing instruction sheet...I need help figuring out wiring.

I bought a used GT500 pump, FPDM, and harness on another forum a couple years ago, and I'm just now getting around to installing it.
I've already removed my BAP (tuner wants me to run the dual pumps without a BAP).

Using the Ford Racing M-9407-GT05 instructions, my GT500 harness does not match the description of theirs.

Below is a diagram I made of my harness:

Below is the FPDM harness, which looks like it's been hacked.

Below is the wiring that ends up near the fuel pump...

Below is a random plug that ends up behind the pasenger front seat area...

And finally, here's the wiring that ends up under the hood at the fuse block.

Can anyone help me figure out where the connections need to go,
and where I can get the harness plugs I might need
(one for the GT500 pump itself, maybe a new one for the FPDM, etc...)
And where does the harness behind the passenger seat go??

I'd like to just get a new harness. Since no one sells a replacement fuel
sock for these pumps, I doubt I'll be able to get a harness, either.

I appreciate it!

BlueDevil

BOOSTED!
Reaction score
Well, I was able to find out that the harness looks like the Saleen unit.

Here's a link to the instruction .pdf:
http://www.soec.org/manuals/powertrain/mustang/10-8002-C14057B.pdf

The green and yellow wires with the grey clip go to the inertia switch in the driver's kick panel.
The instructions show where the underhood wires go in the fuse box.

The only issues now:

1) I don't have the harness plug end to fit the GT500 pump itself

2) My stock pump harness has 4 wires connected at the pump:
solid black, light blue with yellow stripe, pink w/ black stripe, and light green w/purple stripe.

The Saleen harness specifies that 6 wires are to be connected at the pump:
solid black, light blue w/yellow stripe, pink w/black stripe, light green w/purple stripe, white w/blue stripe, and solid white.

The new harness has (coming from FPDM): solid white and solid black. These are what give me a total of 6 wires for the pump harness, as outlined above.

Everything matches, except my stock harness has a solid black instead of a white w/blue stripe, which leaves me with 2 solid black wires...

Recap:
I need a gt500 pump connector.
I need to figure out if the black wire in my stock pump harness is the same as the white with blue that's supposed to be there.
Otherwise, that leaves me with 2 black wires, and I don't know which black wire goes where on the gt500 pump connector.

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks like you got a boot legged harness so who knows whats what. The best I can do is give you the schematics so you can try to unfuck it. The gt500 hat plug connector is unavailable to my knowledge and I spent a lot of time back in day trying to find it.

Here is the gt500 fuel system wire diagram. And plug pinouts.

Here is the complete wiring and pin out diagram for the install.

dualfpdmwiringdiagram.jpg

And here is the fpdm plug pigtail part number.

WPT-903 (Tin)

8U2Z-14S411-AA

BlueDevil

BOOSTED!
Reaction score
I'll call Saleen to see the if they'll sell me a hat harness.. Without that, I'm kind of dead in the water. It's not time for me to go beyond a dual gt500 pump yet, so I hate to have to go big on the fuel system right now...

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Last I knew when Saleen went out of business (or got sold or transitioned whatever happened) they sold off all their inventory and you can't get it. I have heard the company was reopened but haven't really seen anything from them for the mustang community in a few years.

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
You can find it. The division x plug from lethal iso the gt500 plug. Just out of curiosity blue devil is your name Bryan?

Weou09

forum member
Reaction score
Nevermind. Not the same guy. If you want pm me and I'll give you a price on making you a new harness.

BlueDevil

BOOSTED!
Reaction score
You can find it. The division x plug from lethal iso the gt500 plug. Just out of curiosity blue devil is your name Bryan?
Lethal is on my list of people to call. I don't see the pigtail on their website anymore, but they used to sell it.
I emailed a company called Connector Experts today, so I'll post the results this week.
I'm happy to do the wiring...I just need the pigtail!

And no, I'm not Brian. Name's Allen.

BlueDevil

BOOSTED!
Reaction score
I saw that the other day, but I guess their site was down because it wouldn't let me order it. I'll call them tomorrow as planned and make sure it's the right one. Geez...$25! Is there a forum discount for Lethal?

BlueDevil

BOOSTED!
Reaction score
Got the Division X pigtail...snaps right on to the GT500 pump.

My new question is specific to the Saleen harness instructions.
Here is the wording of the modification to the blue and red wire in the FPDM harness:

1) Locate the (blue w/red stripe) wire in pin 6 of the FPDM
connector (on the stock fuel pump harness) and cut it at a
distance 6” from the connector. Then strip the wire 1/4"
back.
2) Find the remaining wire on the Saleen fuel pump harness
(blue w/ red stripe) and strip the wire 1/4" back.
3) Slide a 1" piece of 3/16" heat shrink (A) over one of the wires
and crimp the 2 wires (stock harness = blue w/ red stripe &
Saleen harness = blue w/ red stripe) together. Then slide the
heat shrink over the crimped butt splice (B) and apply heat to seal.

The instructions are unclear, and I can think of 3 different options:
1) connect the blue wire from the Saleen FPDM conector to the blue wire coming out of the stock FPDM harness connector itself.
2) conect the blue wire from the Saleen FPDM connector to the blue wire coming from the "body side" of the stock FPDM harness itself (the long side of the harness)
3) connect all 3 blue wires together: the Saleen wire and both sides of the cut blue wire on the stock harness.

Anyone with knowledge of the Saleen pump harness? I'm good with the cutting/splicing/soldering, but I'm worried about frying something if I wire it wrong.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Just seeing this thread..and I feel sorry for the pain you're having to go through!
Connection-wise, you're essentially wiring another fpdm in parallel to the stock one, and adding a second pump to the hat and to that second fpdm.
You definitely must have the gt500 hat connector, as you've seen, with your hat.

The big circuit difference, other than the parallel systems, is in how power feeds the whole thing. In the stock wiring, the wire from the inertial switch feeds power to the fpdm. Well, that little wire can't deliver enough current, so the larger red wire to the BEC or battery is used to feed power to the fpdm, switched on/off via a relay that is triggered by power from the inertia switch. So, once you understand this, you essentially wire up the other fpdm in a similar manner.
You have a '06, so you won't have a separate pcm signal to control the second fpdm; they'll both be controlled by the same CAN control signal wires.

Back to the hat connector, there are two wires you have to tie into you fuel level signal wires; you get them backwards and the fuel level will only read half-to-full and then empty. There is a way to get it right, but I don't remember the exact details; something like, one of the 2 wires out of the hat is grounded, the other is the actual float signal. The two wires, one is I think green and the other something else. The ground signal wire might go to the green wire. (if you look at the fuel level sensor circuit and know how to interpret the schematic for the stock pump hat and variable resistor of the stock fuel level float, you can decipher which side can be signal ground and which side must be the variable voltage signal..at least that's what i did the last time I wired one of these up.)

Gimme a call if you need help; you should still have my number!

BlueDevil

BOOSTED!
Reaction score
Hi, TBV8
Long time no see!

Yes, I know the hat wiring is sometimes mismatched. I have the Division X pigtail and I think I have that covered. It's the Saleen harness/blue wire at the two FPDMs that's confusing. The instructions are vague, and I don't want to make a guess at it. See post 11 above.

Here's Saleen's photos/wording.

BlueDevil

BOOSTED!
Reaction score
Update:
Success! After a 6 week hiatus (my dogs ran me over in the yard and cracked my fibula...), I got everything connected and took it on a (no boost) cruise.

Details regarding all the issues I ran into:
* I ended up connecting all three blue wires together: the blue from the new FPDM essentially splices into the blue from the stock FPDM. Seems to work, but Lito will need to verify both pumps are working properly.
* the Saleen harness was not too bad once I understood it. Add 2 wires to BEC, connect to inertia switch in driver kick panel, repin stock pump harness into Lethal GT500 pump harness, and add 2 extra wires from Saleen harness (note: I thought I had a black wire and a white wire. Turns out the white wire with blue stripe had a long section of black heat shrink on it...that was a eureka moment...). The rest of the harness at the FPDMs was straightforward. The loose white wire actually replaces the white wire in the stock FPDM harness.
* I bought a used harness for one of the BEC pin blocks that I discovered had been melted...it was one of the fan relays. The harness was of no real use, but I repinned my wiring into the pin block i removed from the new harness and it's all good now.

Other updates in between banging my head against the wall:
* powder coated valve covers, removed PCV from driver's side, added Moroso breather tank with -10 line from both valve covers.
* relocated battery to trunk using Taylor box and 1g welding wire. Stinger 200a breaker. Distribution block under hood
* installed DSS aluminum driveshaft and BMR front loop. Rear loop didn't clear my mid-mounted M80s...
* installed BMR radiator support with sway bar delete.
* removed Shaker 1000 stuff/carpet from trunk, removed back seat.

Thanks, everyone for your help.
Will update after retune.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back