Need help picking a business name

NaS197

forum member
Reaction score
I've been working for a auto painting company for awhile and have the opportunity to move into a subcontractor position. Now I have to start thinking of a business name so I can apply for my license & tax ID.

Please no rediculous names. Something professional please. I'm just having a hard time coming up with one right now.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If your primary clients are other businesses (subcontractor) then just keep it short and sweet. If you it's just going to be you and not a bunch of employees then just use your name or your initials (Joe Blow Enterprises or JB Enterprises, etc).

Also, if it is just going to be you and you never plan on having employees, then think long and hard about whether you want to be incorporated or just operate as a sole proprietor. Everyone touts the 'advantages' of incorporating but nobody ever talks about the added expense and additional requirements which will more than exceed any tax benefits. If I were to incorporate I would need Worker's Comp or a WC exempt card. As a sole proprietor I'm already exempt by law without doing anything. Incorporating puts your name and info into dozens of government computers and your name is on dozens of lists, all of which require some sort of compliance in order to justify some office drone's existence. As a sole proprietor I get left alone.

Last edited:

NaS197

forum member
Reaction score
I'd be starting a LLC. Maybe in the future depending on how busy I get, I might higher someone else to join in and work.

I work for a few different dealerships & do some private work that comes in (few & short between)

I was thinking JK's Auto Painting

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score
I'd be starting a LLC. Maybe in the future depending on how busy I get, I might higher someone else to join in and work.

I work for a few different dealerships & do some private work that comes in (few & short between)

JK's Auto Painting sounds good

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
think hard on Skwerl's suggestion, I've been self employed 32 yrs and have to agree w/ his position, at least initially until you get your feet wet

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You can always incorporate later. A sole proprietorship only requires an occupational license and liability insurance. Once you're incorporated you can get caught up in one net after another from dozens of government agencies. And each and every one of them wants a piece of your income.

NaS197

forum member
Reaction score
My insurances would be covered under the main business (the company I work for now) as I'd be moving to a subcontractor position

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Not sure how that would work. A subcontractor is self employed, not an employee of the company. If they are pulling this shit on you it's because they don't want to pay taxes and insurance on your wages. That's illegal and there's lots of attorneys on late night tv who love chasing employers who do this.

NaS197

forum member
Reaction score
The way it's setup is completely legal. I've looked over all the paperwork & talked to his business guys & mine.

mitch

HPDE Instructor
Reaction score
AAA Paint and Body...

So your First in the Yellow Pages,

Do people use Yellow pages any more?

SGTguy

forum member
Reaction score
AAA Paint and Body...

So your First in the Yellow Pages,

Do people use Yellow pages any more?

No one uses YP any more, my son spent 5k last year on YP for this new company and not one job. We get a lot of work from FB and web, that the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

It's a good idea to form an LLC and establish a separate checking account to run all your business income and expenses through for sure. That will help limit your liability from any claims on your personal assets. :thumb2:

As far as business names, JK Auto Painting, LLC works. It's simple and to the point.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Been cutting trees for 30 years, mostly self employed. I have yet to have a single claim on my personal assets.

If you don't fuck people over then the odds of getting sued are about as high as having cops accidentally break down your front door and storm your house because they got the wrong address on the search warrant.

Incorporating opens you up to a shit ton of additional government requirements, all of which will cost you money. Guaranteed, not just a maybe might possibly happen.

3VPOWA

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Been cutting trees for 30 years, mostly self employed. I have yet to have a single claim on my personal assets.

If you don't fuck people over then the odds of getting sued are about as high as having cops accidentally break down your front door and storm your house because they got the wrong address on the search warrant.

Incorporating opens you up to a shit ton of additional government requirements, all of which will cost you money. Guaranteed, not just a maybe might possibly happen.

Setting up a business as a sole proprietor LLC is not the same as incorporating. And in this day and age, why not protect yourself as much as you most possibly can?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back