Need help troubleshooting a 2014 with a Bama tune

roth1045

Reaction score
I bought a 2014 v6 6-speed about 3 weeks ago. It checked out great except it needed a clutch, which I had done before the trip home (900 miles). No engine lights, codes or anything remarkable - so says the mechanic who did the clutch. And then, somehow, the trans was shot by the time it got to me. The car sat in the shop for about two weeks waiting on a replacement trans. The day after it was back up and running it started throwing a bunch of codes P1450, P0304, U3003 and several other electrical codes. It seems to drive fine, but occasionally backfires (blinking check engine light that goes away after a minute or so) and a battery light that goes away after about 5 min after startup.

It's got a lot of mods - BBK long tube headers, Borla exhaust, X pipe, magnaflow resonators, KW coilover - and a Bama tune plate. I believe the car was tuned before 2015 by the first owner (Bama can't find a record of it - they were very unhelpful.) I bought the car from the third owner who was supposed to include the tuner but didn't. It's possible he kept the tuner to use or sell and took the tune off of the car. Unsure and I can't get in contact with him to ask (long painful story).

I'm deep in a hole on this - probably got ripped off, but too far in to turn back now. I'm not at all familiar with much of this performance mod stuff so I'd really appreciate some advice.

1) Given that the codes didn't show up until after I had the new trans installed, how likely is it that any of these codes are related to the tune - or lack of tune?
2) Would you attempt to restore a tune, or go down the rabbit hole of trying fixes to clear these codes one at a time?
3) IF you think it would be helpful to tune it - is Bama the only/best option? Not sure I want to drop $600 on a tune at this point.
4) Any quick easy fixes I could try myself before I stick this thing back in the shop and hand over my retirement fund?

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
If be tempted to have a dealer reinstall the stock tune and go from there.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
check that the harness didn't get pinched/chaffed when he put the new transmission in
This man's nailed it.
Since the engine ran fine before the clutch and tranny job, I seriously doubt that the problem is the tune. It's far more likely that an O2 sensor wiring harness was pinched when the tranny was reinstalled. If the insulation is damaged and the wiring frayed, it could be shorting out on the bell housing and triggering multiple codes.
Diagnosing it won't be difficult. Just raise the car on a lift and inspect it from underneath.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Is that something I can inspect visually without taking the trans out again?
Yes. Jack up the car and secure it high enough to slide underneath. Look/feel around the transmission bell housing where it meets the back of the engine. Find your wiring harnesses and follow then with your fingers where they cross that area. Typically around the top right side.

I pinched my wiring on my 2009 Bullitt when swapping the clutch. I pinched the wiring and didn't notice when reinstalling. I ended up paying a much better mechanic than myself to fix it for me.

john knox

Reaction score
like others have posted. if it ran good be4 the clutch it related to that,missing the ground wire or not tightened down,O2 sensor not pluged in or in the wrong location,
ya need to post the codes if you want any more help,a lot of shops will not work on the veh with mods and tunes,

roth1045

Reaction score
This man's nailed it.
Since the engine ran fine before the clutch and tranny job, I seriously doubt that the problem is the tune. It's far more likely that an O2 sensor wiring harness was pinched when the tranny was reinstalled. If the insulation is damaged and the wiring frayed, it could be shorting out on the bell housing and triggering multiple codes.
Diagnosing it won't be difficult. Just raise the car on a lift and inspect it from underneath.

View attachment 96604

roth1045

Reaction score
like others have posted. if it ran good be4 the clutch it related to that,missing the ground wire or not tightened down,O2 sensor not pluged in or in the wrong location,
ya need to post the codes if you want any more help,a lot of shops will not work on the veh with mods and tunes,

IMG_8742.jpeg

JimC

Reaction score
Something else to check - was the crank relearn procedure done after the clutch was installed? Any time you separate the engine and transmission you have to run the procedure or else you will get all kinds of issues.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Something else to check - was the crank relearn procedure done after the clutch was installed? Any time you separate the engine and transmission you have to run the procedure or else you will get all kinds of issues.

I did a clutch job on my 2012 GT about a year ago, no crank relearn procedure and have had zero issues. What problems do people usually have? Why would you need to do a crank relearn procedure for a clutch swap?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
If the flywheel was removed, the crank trigger was disturbed. That is the reason for a crank relearn, misfire monitor.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
makes sense. I guess I got lucky then. I replaced my flywheel when I did my clutch and never did a crank relearn procedure.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back