need some insight on salvaged title cars

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I found a GREAT deal on a 06 mustang gt that is for sale, with only 9,000 miles on it, and the title is salvaged, it was in a front end accident, everything was replaced, the guy put about 3k into it front end, new mirrors, air bags, and it runs like new, now seeing as its in another state, and is registered in that state, would it be hard to get a tag for it in another? Any info would help! thanks!

Redfire

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It can vary from state to state but typically you need a "rebuilt" title that will allow it to be registered and driven again. In the states I have dealt with you can't get a registration from a salvage title. I would suggest calling your local DMV and run it by them or check your states website. The website typically will have some FAQ's that may cover your situation.

matt texass

Reaction score
In Texas you can register it but can not get full coverage insurance on it.

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
hm well the guy im buying it from just called me back and said when he got the title back there wasnt anything on there about the car being salvaged.

KIM_05_GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would stay away...the resale will always be really low..and you get insure it

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
It can vary from state to state but typically you need a "rebuilt" title that will allow it to be registered and driven again. In the states I have dealt with you can't get a registration from a salvage title. I would suggest calling your local DMV and run it by them or check your states website. The website typically will have some FAQ's that may cover your situation.

Good advice. Here in VA we can not register a "Salvage" vehicle. Also, no insurance company will give you collision coverage. You can get other insurace like UIM, PI, and liability, but the car has already been deemed a total loss, so they won't touch the collision coverage.

hm well the guy im buying it from just called me back and said when he got the title back there wasnt anything on there about the car being salvaged.

I would not trust him or the car. What is on record with the registrar's office can be completely different than what that little piece of paper says.

Don't do it..

Also good advice.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I have been driving my salvaged honda for a long time. If you plan to keep it forever and got a deal grab it. the other are right about the insurance.

BlackBeard

Reaction score
^ what he said, I bought a 2002 salvaged BMW for cheap and had it for years! best car I ever owned. Ran like a top and was so cheap I loved it. ID reccommend doing it only if you either plan on keeping it forever, or dont care about re-sale. I didnt get any money for my bmw when I sold it but for the price I paid I more than got my moneys worth

Reaction score
Well yea, i agree with the last few posters. If you want a cheap econo-box every day driver by all means go ahead and snag it up. But i dont think a mustang gt is something i would want as an econo driver for everyday. If i was in the market for a beater to just drive around to work and throw some liability on it, i would snag a salvaged civic in a heartbeat. Also if you are wanting to turn it into some kind of track demon to race, that is fine aswell... Just my .02.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back