need to figure out gearing/correct tire size

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
My car is turbo and i would think makes the most power in 4th. problem is i BARELY ever see 4th in the quarter mile. im usually right at the top of third and shifting into 4th right at the very end.

i have 3.55's, stock 3650 on 26" tall tires.shifting at 6500rpm.

i currently trap about 119mph @ 11.3, when i was using 28" tall tires i was trapping 123mph.

my 60's are 1.5-1.6.

traction is not a issue and power is not a issue. i need some insight on gearing and tire size to put my shifting in the correct spots.

a taller tire would only slow down my shifting correct?

Irishman

Ricer
Reaction score
Either lower gearing or taller tire should help get rid of the extra shift at the end of the track. Plus turbos like a lower gear to keep the load on the engine longer to take advantage of exhaust for boost.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, different ballgame, you dont need to use that 4th 1:1 gear at all, the turbo doesnt care, the car will be faster trapping at the top of thirrd. I have the same problem i have to shift to 4th literally right before i cross the stripe at the 1/4, this is with 27" tall tires and 3.55s i know this is costling me a couple tenths, i wanna get some 28-28.5" for the back and trap at the top of third around 6900 rpms. Or go to 3.31s if i have to. If your gonna use fourth you would need to use all of its power band which just aint gonna happen unless your trapping 140-150mph ish lol, to use all of 4th that means you would need like 4.30/4.56 gears which would make your car slowler.

Im also moving towards a 6060 swap, with the 6060s taller gears and 3.55s out back the 1/4 mile would come easly some where at the top end of thrid. I have a feeling with a 6060, 3.31 gears, and 28.5" tire you could almost 1/4 in top of second!

The 6060s first gear is going to be sick with a turbo! While your oponents already shifted to 2nd your full boosting 1st gear out to 60-65mph!

Less shifts, taller, gears, more load is the way to making a turbo stick car faster.

Of course wot box shifts help bend these rules a little.

WarFords

forum member
Reaction score
I do 3.73's and 28" tall slicks wit my 5 speed! My traps ranged from 129-135mph. I thought it worked great!

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
good,im curious what you will think......i was SOOO close to getting one and backed out becuase i was thinking i would have to do gears too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back