new 6 speed +4.6?

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
with all the talk about how well the new 6 speed stick and autos are geared, i wonder...how well would a 4.6 respond to one of the new 6 speeds? i bet a lot of the guys who are knocking on 11s NA would get there with that that tranny and a gear swap (to something possibly higher than 4.56s lol)

Last edited:

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
Tranny

I've seen a few clutch problems already!!
bbr already smoked one !

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
6 speeds are for ricer's yo.

:roflmao:

But really I would think it's a bit over geared unless you have some FI ont he 4.6?

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

But really I would think it's a bit over geared unless you have some FI ont he 4.6?

or make good power na and use all the gearing to your advantage...... or put 4.88's :beer:

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Tremec magnum also get's rid of our shitty shifter design which is a mega plus

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
I've seen a few clutch problems already!!
bbr already smoked one !
yes ive seen the clutch problem threads...but i think that is due to several factors: 1) 0 break in. those cars are going straight from the dealer to the drag strip with slick (in most cases) and getting pounded.
2) rpm. i dont think the factory clutch is able to withstand repeated 7k launches. i wouldnt expect a stock clutch too though.
3)its a safety measure. Ford puposely put a fragile clutch in there knowing what was going to happen, figuring people would rather hammer a clutch than a tranny. i agree.

lol.
i dont think it would be over geared for the NA guy who have to rev to the moon anyways...but i think the nice gear spacing would allow them to maximize their powerband while allowing them to run a higher rear gear making the cars a little more streetable (in other words the guys running 4.56s could move up to 4.10s and actually see an increase in ET)

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
with all the talk about how well the new 6 speed stick and autos are geared, i wonder...how well would a 4.6 respond to one of the new 6 speeds? i bet a lot of the guys who are knocking on 11s NA would get there with that that tranny and a gear swap (to something possibly higher than 4.56s lol)

had 6060 and 4.56's for over 2 years...

Great idea, but its been done... alot.

Great combo; even on 2000+ mile road trips to events that get rained out :rant:

Hoping new Mag's work the bugs out soon. with their shifter config. and ability to change clutches w/o pulling train, I may have a couple 6060's to sell! LOL

Last edited:

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
had 6060 and 4.56's for over 2 years...

Great idea, but its been done... alot.

Great combo; even on 2000+ mile road trips to events that get rained out :rant:

Hoping new Mag's work the bugs out soon. with their shifter config. and ability to change clutches w/o pulling train, I may have a couple 6060's to sell! LOL
hmmmm....i think some people are mistaking which 6 speed im talking about.

im referring to the new 6 speed stick that is the new 5.0.

yes, if i had a 6060 then 4.56s would be the way to go because that tranny has 2 overdrive ratios. but the new one doesnt.

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Do you have a TR6060?

I do.

Going from 4th to 5th is still pure acceleration but dropping it into 6th is clearly overdriven but not as noticeable as it is in the 5 speed.

I guess my Z06 has two over driven gears too...? LOL o_O

First: 2.66
Second: 1.78
Third: 1.30
Fourth: 1.00
Fifth: 0.74
Sixth: 0.50

Overdrive is also commonly called the tallest gear in a transmission, how can you have two "tallest" gears? lol

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have a TR6060?

I do.

Going from 4th to 5th is still pure acceleration but dropping it into 6th is clearly overdriven but not as noticeable as it is in the 5 speed.

I guess my Z06 has two over driven gears too...? LOL o_O

First: 2.66
Second: 1.78
Third: 1.30
Fourth: 1.00
Fifth: 0.74
Sixth: 0.50

Overdrive is also commonly called the tallest gear in a transmission, how can you have two "tallest" gears? lol
no i do not have a TR6060.

but yes, your Z06 has 2 over driven gears too.

overdrive is commonly the tallest gear in a transmission because its usually the only gear thats UNDER 1:1....now as the gear chart you posted clearly states both 5th and 6th gears are less than 1:1...thus 2 overdriven gears. :)

Kaldar142

Reaction score
Well, if you're going off of that then i can see what you're saying but in the real world i don't think so. Yes you are right on the count that anything under 1:1 is 'technically' considered overdriven, just not IMO.

Generally speaking the tallest gear of the transmission is the overdrive gear.

In the TR6060 in my Stang i can easily accelerate in 5th and likewise in the Z06. Put it in the so called "overdrive" gear and it becomes a slug unless you're really hauling ass.

But hey if you want to call it having two overdrive gears thats cool too :)

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
But hey if you want to call it having two overdrive gears thats cool too :)

Actually no it is not cool, it is correct. Overdrive is not a semantic opinion. It is a numerical fact that it is an overdrive gear and not a matter of opinion.:argh:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anything less than 1:1 is an overdrive gear so the 6060 to me has 2 overdrive gears, ones just a little more useable.

I would go with the 6060 or magnum before the 2011 trans based on the info i have been gathering.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back