New Convertible Top

ZGrand

forum member
Reaction score
Had a new black cloth convertible top installed on my '06 GT yesterday. When I bought the car last month, the original vinyl top was the Parchment color, which I didn't think looked good with the Windveil Blue paint. The rest of the car was in excellent condition, but it appeared the previous owners had never done any maintenance on the top. It was missing some of the stitching, and the seams were starting to crack. There were also mildew spots all over the vinyl which would not come out.

Found a local man who does nothing but replace convertible tops. We used the top-of-the-line Electron cloth top, and he installed it in my garage in about 4 hours. The black top looks much better than the Parchment color, and he did an excellent job. Here are a couple of pics.

J3snFqJ.jpg

JV3ko4f.jpg

ZGrand

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice - fitment looks snug.

Thanks, guys. Yeah, the fitment is snug -- he said to leave the top up for 7-10 days and drive the car, saying that will help the material stretch a little so its not quite so tight. I'd rather have it a little tight than loose, though.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Correct it will be very tight and almost hard to close for the first week.

Scout734

...is this real life?
Reaction score
Looks great! I definitely like the black top with the blue.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Looks great. How much is the top from Electron?

Scout734

...is this real life?
Reaction score
The top itself is around $750.00. Installation is what kills ya!

Thanks again for the compliments, guys.

Ouch! Looks like money well spent on your Mustang though. Makes me glad the '07 I just picked up has been garage kept so the top's in great shape... but I wonder how long they last even when well taken care of?

ZGrand

forum member
Reaction score
Scout734 - I think like anything else, factory convertible tops can last the life of the car. Regular cleanings and treatments with the right products (RaggTopp or 303-Products) certainly help. Sun is a killer - and tree sap on cloth tops is also bad. My car is not my daily driver, and will spend any down time in a heated garage, so I'm anticipating (with proper maintenance) this new top to last as long as I have the car.

My next mod will be a hood scoop and stripes like yours.

Last edited:

Scout734

...is this real life?
Reaction score
Good to know they can last for so long if well maintained. Mine's not a DD either and is garage kept but it's the first vert I've ever had... except for my Wrangler but those tops are different.

sidvicious

forum member
Reaction score
Scout734 - I think like anything else, factory convertible tops can last the life of the car. Regular cleanings and treatments with the right products (RaggTopp or 303-Products) certainly help.

I use 303 on my top and it works great. My car is garage kept.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
I am wanting to replace the rubber rear trim piece of the top that goes along the foremost flat decklid. I would also like to remove and paint the left and right exterior quarter trim pieces. Anyone removed these pieces before?

GTX86

forum member
Reaction score
That top looks great. I wish you were local, I'd love to hit that guy up and do the exact same thing to mine. Not a fan of the parchment top either.

ZGrand

forum member
Reaction score
Correct. I did not buy it from them myself -- the installer furnished the top.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back