New DOB Article – 3v PD Blower Buyers Guide

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
The e85 maximum HP numbers for the 3v R-Spec, 2013 GT500 2.3L TVS, Kenne Bell 2.8L, and the Kenne Bell 2.8L are called out below as well as their max pump gas numbers.

I think you meant to say the 3.2L here?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
The e85 maximum HP numbers for the 3v R-Spec, 2013 GT500 2.3L TVS, Kenne Bell 2.8L, and the Kenne Bell 2.8L are called out below as well as their max pump gas numbers.

I think you meant to say the 3.2L here?

Well crap, I only read it 10,000x LOL!!!!:insane:

Thanks for the catch!

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Lol! Very nice write up. Like the other one, it's saved for future reference.

46addict

Reaction score
I've learned a lot from the DOB tech page. Thanks for the continued research and sharing of knowledge.

If I may make a suggestion, I have seen quite a few setups running meth from the mid 500hp range. I imagine it is one of several fueling solutions and I thought it would be worth mentioning in the Boosting the 3v article. At least the basics of how it works and how it can change the end result of a build.

:driver:

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I've learned a lot from the DOB tech page. Thanks for the continued research and sharing of knowledge.

If I may make a suggestion, I have seen quite a few setups running meth from the mid 500hp range. I imagine it is one of several fueling solutions and I thought it would be worth mentioning in the Boosting the 3v article. At least the basics of how it works and how it can change the end goal of a build.

:driver:

I don't know much about the use of meth (the technical parts). It's because I'm not a fan. I see meth as a band aid for other systems not working correctly. And adding more systems on top of under-performing systems goes against everything I believe in.

The only time you would see me run meth is after I have a perfect intercooler system and exhausted e85's ability to cool. Which would be way up over 1000rwhp.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good article!

Say, if you want MAXIMUM RELIABILITY, is it possible to use an R-spec setup with an M122?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You're asking about 3v manifolds though. Are you asking because your curious?

I have different solutions for the Yote.

Little bit of both. Forced induction is a fascinating topic, and you don't see too many articles written by people who actually know what the frak they're talking about.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Little bit of both. Forced induction is a fascinating topic, and you don't see too many articles written by people who actually know what the frak they're talking about.

The answer will depend a lot on the power desired.

But, if a person has enough scratch for a R-Spec they have enough money for the occasional rebuild on the head unit.:party52:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Let's say you're building a 3V for 450 rwhp (since this thread is about 3Vs). You can achieve that with the GT450 kit with the M122.

Your objective is to maximize reliability and longevity, however, along with the ability to daily drive (12k miles per year) in up to 100* weather without ridiculously-high IATs. So what additional parts would you add to the kit? Obviously, you would want a huge heat exchanger and high-volume pump. Would you utilize a different belt and/or tensioner to reduce shock on the crank and blower? A larger-diameter pulley on the blower to slightly reduce boost, harmonics, and parasitic loss?

Like I said, I overengineer for reliability.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Let's say you're building a 3V for 450 rwhp (since this thread is about 3Vs). You can achieve that with the GT450 kit with the M122.

Your objective is to maximize reliability and longevity, however, along with the ability to daily drive (12k miles per year) in up to 100* weather without ridiculously-high IATs. So what additional parts would you add to the kit? Obviously, you would want a huge heat exchanger and high-volume pump. Would you utilize a different belt and/or tensioner to reduce shock on the crank and blower? A larger-diameter pulley on the blower to slightly reduce boost, harmonics, and parasitic loss?

Like I said, I overengineer for reliability.
450 is a piece of cake. I wouldn't do much. 13' GT500 HE and water pump, 160deg T stat and a Frankentensioner. That would be nice and reliable and way cooler than anything but an R Spec. Hell, it's all almost OEM!!!

Next step would be a vented hood.

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
In regards to the pump and hood in the above safe 450 setup. Would a Davies EWP150 be a better choice than the OEM '13 GT500 pump? Better in that it helps delay heat soak in the 110 degree summer during daily driving. As far as the hood, would the stock 07-09 GT500 hood be just as good as say cutting the stock GT hood and using the 10-14 GT500 hood vent.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
450 is a piece of cake. I wouldn't do much. 13' GT500 HE and water pump, 160deg T stat and a Frankentensioner. That would be nice and reliable and way cooler than anything but an R Spec. Hell, it's all almost OEM!!!

Next step would be a vented hood.

What's this Franken tensioner of which you speak?

Back