New Fender Strat - Any advice for a newb?

TorchedGT

Mustang Operator
Reaction score
what drove me to be a fender stratocaster owner again was the sounds of Jimi.. i had a black with rosewood fretboard california strat..it was decent..ended up selling it for car parts (ever done that before?? lmao) well i wanted to get into learning some Jimi and i originally wanted a cheap mexi strat in sunburst. well i found the one i have "60s classic players strat". it was the right color and the bidding on ebay was in my price range. i ended up picking that guitar up for a hair above 500 bones and it was in out of the box mint condition. i think musicians friend sells them for about 1100 bones? its definitely the best fender ive ever played..the sound, the feel, the fit and finish..its top notch. anyhow enough rambling... theres alot of good free how-tos on the internet to learn from... i wish they did when i started playing 15 years ago. the web will be your friend on this.. i learn best by watching another person play it then i try to mimic it when learning a popular song or whatever. i just have a hard time writing my own stuff because it will sound so much like others but thats almost unavoidable because theres a set number of notes to work with lol..

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Well, here is a problem I never saw comming.

I am using the traning video that I got from Fender to learn the basic cords. I am finding that my fingers are so big I can not play some cords because I am pressing 2 and 3 strings at the same time. I am using my extreme finger tips, but I am still hitting other strings enough to mute them or have them play that fret place instead of being open or playing the numericly lower fret place.

How the hell do I fix that? I am really bummed.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, here is a problem I never saw comming.

I am using the traning video that I got from Fender to learn the basic cords. I am finding that my fingers are so big I can not play some cords because I am pressing 2 and 3 strings at the same time. I am using my extreme finger tips, but I am still hitting other strings enough to mute them or have them play that fret place instead of being open or playing the numericly lower fret place.

How the hell do I fix that? I am really bummed.

go to the guitar store like guitar center or some big place and ask a clerk where the nylon string acoustics are and try those out. THey are spaced wider towards the nut so that should help BUT .... the problem you just described is the same problem that 99% of new players have.

Give it time!!!! later you'll be glad you've got bigger fingers when your doing things that are real hard with thin fingers.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Kyle Gass has some chubs for stubs.... he got around it though

Kyle_Gass_4961004571ef7.jpg

Last edited:

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL! Marc, Marc. Just two words for you: Jimi Hendrix. The man's hands were huge. Don't let that minor quibble discourage you. Practice man!

Jimi20Hendrix.jpg

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
LOL... Okay guys. Thanks for the support. :cheers:

I was let down for a bit there. I feel better knowing this is a common issue. What can I say other than I'm a :newbie: !

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've taught a few. I always started them out on chords so that they could get used to playing without trying to look at both hands and actually get a feel for the guitar - it also kept them from giving up do to frustration. After they were comfortable with the guitar I would teach them patterns and scales. Practice is the key. And as mentioned, chub-stubs can actually be an advantage...

I can't find it... Got a link by any chance?

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9784

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I've taught a few. I always started them out on chords so that they could get used to playing without trying to look at both hands and actually get a feel for the guitar - it also kept them from giving up do to frustration. After they were comfortable with the guitar I would teach them patterns and scales. Practice is the key. And as mentioned, chub-stubs can actually be an advantage...

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9784

Very cool. That is what I have been hearing as far as process goes. I guess I will keep working on the notes/cords and get comfortable with them. Once we roll into the second week in January, I'll have some funds for leasons too.

Thanks for the feed back and link...

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Try and start out with the blues... even if you don't like the blues lol

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I love Blues, I just prefer Metal. I can digg music from B.B. King, Little Walter, Muddy Waters, etc. Straight old school music.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Well, I am finally figuring out that with these big-ass fingers, I should be using 2 fingers for E major. Less pressure so the don't spread so far helps too. LOL I am sure as I learn the other chords I'll find some other work-arounds too.

So, I am much happier now, but I am still really liking the SRX base from Ibanez. BUT, what the heck is the difference between the 4 string and 5 string bass? Are 4 of the 5 strings the same and the 5th is simply a higher string? Why would I want one over the other?

Last edited:

RACERdeX

professional retard
Reaction score
Just stop playing

Ive been playing guitar now oh, for about 15 years now and i still suck, save yourself the trouble and just stick to video games and that thing between ur legs

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What do you say to a bass player standing at your door? "How much for the pizza?"

Oh Stan you effing crack me up. I always heard that Bass players were guitar player wanna-be's.......ROTFLMAO

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Acoustic will make ur fingers stronger and learn everything perfect so it will be easier when u switch to the electric.But I say if you want to,take lessons,whatever helps you and search youtube there is a ton of fun stuff on there.Good luck!

waketek516

Pedal to the Metal!
Reaction score
You tube is a good resource for learning new songs by watching someone else. I'd also suggest taking a few lessons so you don't develop any bad habits! I was self taught for years, and when I finally took some lessons - it took longer to break the habits than to learn the new parts.

Here's my wall:
Yamaha Acoustic, Ibanez Destroyer, Dean ML, Ibanez 7, and my two Ibanez RGs
DSC04435.jpg

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I am finally figuring out that with these big-ass fingers, I should be using 2 fingers for E major.

No no no, use and learn proper fingering right from the beginning. It will help you a lot as you progress into different transitions. Unless you meant to say E minor.

Here's a couple shots that I had already uploaded to Photobucket of my setup as it is today.

IMG_5377.jpg

IMG_5373.jpg

IMG_5372.jpg

Some of you guys were talking about Jimi. Well he had an exhibit in Seattle and I was able to snap this pic. Thought it was pretty cool

IMG_5705.jpg

Last edited:

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
those are some nice setups you guys have. i used to own about 7 guitars (electric, acoustic, acoustic/electric) but sold most of them now. just have my first ever electric and acoustic my mom bought me when i first started out. i'll never sell those. ive always wanted a room like yours beerhunter!!

SonicBlur

]V[EGADET]-[
Reaction score
Wood Dale/Schaumburg, Illinois. Near Chicago
I just bought a 93 Strat, and it is now one of my favorite guitars. I have played metal for over 15+ years and after building my first Strat (Parts-o-caster) I fell in love with the Strat. The sound is very unique.

Here are a few pics of my guitars, I still have all these but I also just got a Schecter C-1+ in the Classic Sunburst finish and an awesome OLD 70's Hohner Les Paul copy, both of which I don't have pics of yet.
GroupGuitarShot.jpg

This is my 93 Strat that I LOVE:
1998-1999Stratocaster4.jpg

-Mike

Back