~ New Guy & WannaBe Drifter - V6 Drift Spec ~

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
just saying drifting takes ALOT of money anything in motorsports does so if this is you dd id start with a 240sx or something cheaper to beat on and destroy...i dont under stand spending more on making your 6r to a drifter for more money than you bought it for...cause im seeing ATLEAST 15k to get started

I agree - it's going to cost $$$$. Save your nice Mustang and buy something cheap to bang on and have this type of fun because you will wear and break expensive parts over time....For $15K in additional parts and services, you could pickup a used 240sx or something in that range to have the same amount of fun with drifting that way if something breaks you can still drive to work, etc.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
I raced motocross as well and if that not bout money idk what kind of bike and motocross you were racing....good $500 a weekend to race...

you're missing the point. You don't go racing IF you have money, you go racing and FIND a way to pay for it. If ya got a V6 and want to go racing you find a way. If you have a 500cc Fiat and want to go racing you find a way. If you want to race bad enough you find a way. $500 for a weekend of racing, sure, that's about right for moto-x. But if you really want to do it, you do it. Like I said the money is secondary, it's all about going racing not about money. .1% of racers make money, the rest of us spend to go racing. But we race because we want to race, not in the hopes of coming out ahead. Racing is first, money is second.

Brian W.

forum member
Reaction score
hi.

ive seen you up at e-town before. Im building a S197 drift car also, ill have it our for the 2010 season.

dafridgea

forum member
Reaction score
Wow look at all the comments. Looks like my email notfications where disabled.

Alot has happened in the past couple of months. I have decided to keep going with the V6. Here are the current upgrades:

From http://www.mustangdrift.com/
BC Racing Suspension/coilovers - BR Type
MPD - Lower Control Arms
Wheel Stud Kit - ARP Fastener Kit
Adjustable Anti-roll bar Kit (Front and Rear) from Hellwig

Got these from Americanmuscle.com:
BBK 70mm Throttle Body (2005+ V6)
C&L Mustang Cold Air Intake and SCT SF3 Tuner Combo (05-09 V6)
SCT Dash Scan Data Monitor
NGK G-Power Platinum Performance Spark Plugs
Taylor Mustang Street Thunder Spark Plug Wires (05-09 V6)

This from http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/
Yukon Rear end master kit
7.5" Motive 4.10 Gears
7.5" Ford Racing LSD
and these on all my wheels
235/55/17 Pirelli P-Zeros

Mustangmagic.com - These guys are my main garage
Steeda Panhard Bar
MagnaFlow Dual Exhausts

Coming soon:
Mustang RTR 18" Custom Wheels
Gonna be running with Nexen Tires cheap and cheerful :D
MDP Spindle modification

To answer some of your questions.

Why did I stay with the 7.5 rear end?

The reason for that is that it seem cheaper at the time. In retrospec I should have got the 8.8 with all the hassle of installation costs.

If you dont have posi I would imagine you'd wanna start there

your right there, The lsd is gonna help. Nice 0-60 difference and when I kicked it out a couple of times it felt great.

Is the insurance really that much more? (on a GT)

that was just one totalling factors of a tight monthly budget at the time the less of everything helped. Haveing a V6 means cheaper monthly payments and cheap insurance.

not trying to bring up the v8/v6 debate, but like previously said, why not start with a GT, since you are going to be basically upgrading everything in the drivetrain to GT specs, minus the motor

I mean it'll be fine we'll see what happens. again would have loved GT but it was all a different story when I financed the car. I just moved to country to year prior and credit was weak so I had toi take what I could get and that was even pushing it at 9.9% interest rate - lol Finance Nazi's

Why not start off with a little bit better platform that requires alot less work to get it up to par?

V6 or GT, I still have to change stock parts. Maybe just as well I chose the V6. I mean I changed suspension, control arms, sways

But maybe he wants as light a platform as possible w/the six?Or maybe he just wants something different ?

Ya pretty much wanted to be different. being different comes with a price, theres no doubt about that. LOL you must all think Im really cheap.
Is there much of a weight difference between V6 and V8 Engine i wonder?

Hey dude more power to you I think it's great that you are supporting the sport I got a gt 07 screwed up though (it's automatic) I drift it sometimes but the constant forward revolution of an auto just wants to go full circle or straighten up when I lay it on but keep it up I'll see you at formula D... Keep an eye out for Bryan "Crowne" East Keep it on closed courses

Thanks Bryan. Awesome see you there, takeing the 2 days off work cant wait.

Hey, is that front spoiler from Bangastang?

Actually Mawah Ford had this all installed when they sold it to me. It was there show car at the entrance to the lot.

Have you looked into what clutch you want to use?

No I havent, I heard its a big job to install. Thats definatly something I am thinking about down the line. was think of a LS1 swap if possible aswell maybe.

Now, how do you feel about power adders?

Im not feeling the major power needed for more enjoyable drifting so I was thinking supercharger but the guys at Mustang Magic said that the pistons are very weak and the high revs required from drifting will not help. So ya instead of spending money on current engine, I might just go ahead and change it if anyone had any good suggestions.... LS1 mayHaps?

Thank you for all of your input ModularMuscleTuner!

Dude, what have you done with the e-brake? Mine won't pull hard. I don't know how you drift with the mustang e-brake...

Ya man the mustang e-brake sucks monkey balls for drifting. I tightened it up so I just have a shorter pull(no smart comments please)

The next level after that is a rear hydraulic brake setup

Gray Ghost GT - I agree - it's going to cost $$$$. Save your nice Mustang and buy something cheap to bang on and have this type of fun because you will wear and break expensive parts over time....For $15K in additional parts and services, you could pickup a used 240sx or something in that range to have the same amount of fun with drifting that way if something breaks you can still drive to work, etc.

This is prob true but I got in to deep now :D

hi.

ive seen you up at e-town before. Im building a S197 drift car also, ill have it our for the 2010 season.

Hey Brian will see you at Clubloose events no doubt, cant wait to see the beast in the flesh, you cage looks sick, wish I could gut my car out like that.

cl2010_front-738038.jpg

cl2010_back-738101.jpg

Was thinking about getting a basic cage and Corbeau wide seats next this way I can go on track this year. New rules day you have to have a cage to be on track.

DirtyDan

Perpetual Propulsion
Reaction score
V8 swap! LOL, not big into drifting myself so I can't offer you much advice on the subject... however, welcome to the site!

dafridgea

forum member
Reaction score
V8 swap! LOL, not big into drifting myself so I can't offer you much advice on the subject... however, welcome to the site!

YeeeHaaww Dirty Dan. Thank you.

V8 is it really that laughable... Its been done many's a time before Im sure

dafridgea

forum member
Reaction score
I think you mean Bama? Bama chips does great tunes, they made my last 3.

Yea sorry thats what I meant.

So Do I just tell them I need alot of power at high rev intervals and then ba da bing they make me a tune?

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
YeeeHaaww Dirty Dan. Thank you.

V8 is it really that laughable... Its been done many's a time before Im sure

Yes true. Mustang Magic just made me one on the fly and I now use high octance for the past while.

Do you guys use Bamba?

Yeah, if you wanna swap there are a few members who have done it here and more at the mustang collective. It's not impossible, and it's not even really that hard. And as far as a custom tune, Bama chips from what has been posted around the boards is not doing any further business, but there are many others to go to like brookspeed, tilllman speed, total performance solutions, JDM, Brenspeed, VMP, BBR, just to name a few....

dafridgea

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, if you wanna swap there are a few members who have done it here and more at the mustang collective. It's not impossible, and it's not even really that hard. And as far as a custom tune, Bama chips from what has been posted around the boards is not doing any further business, but there are many others to go to like brookspeed, tilllman speed, total performance solutions, JDM, Brenspeed, VMP, BBR, just to name a few....

Thank you thats good to know. Whats the most common swap that you have heard of?

I heard that bama have stopped orders on parts but tunes are still available :D

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Thank you thats good to know. Whats the most common swap that you have heard of?

I heard that bama have stopped orders on parts but tunes are still available :D

Eh, I'm not too sure about that one.. I'd just go with one of the others listed above for security. But most common is just getting a 3V out of a wrecked GT with trans and find a take off 8.8 rear end somewhere and there are plenty of people here that have stock driveshafts just laying around until you can get a single piece aluminum one, and find the ECU for the year of car you have that matches the engine and trans that you have. No big fuel system changes, just ordering small parts here and there is what will add up: oils, fuilds, turning off PATS, tuning, etc.. It's really not that hard. I'm sure you can find many swap threads on the collective and a few here as well. :thumb:

dafridgea

forum member
Reaction score
Eh, I'm not too sure about that one.. I'd just go with one of the others listed above for security. But most common is just getting a 3V out of a wrecked GT with trans and find a take off 8.8 rear end somewhere and there are plenty of people here that have stock driveshafts just laying around until you can get a single piece aluminum one, and find the ECU for the year of car you have that matches the engine and trans that you have. No big fuel system changes, just ordering small parts here and there is what will add up: oils, fuilds, turning off PATS, tuning, etc.. It's really not that hard. I'm sure you can find many swap threads on the collective and a few here as well. :thumb:

Sweet as a nut, going to ebay and collective right now.

That sounds like the perfect thing for the job

danbev07

Road Course Junkie
Reaction score
I am an example of a successful 4.0 to 4.6 swap.

In fact I just got back from my first drift test day at Willow Springs. Couldn't be any happier with my decision to swap.

I was the only domestic car out there today, and I did my best to have some fun!

What I currently run for my road race/drift setup:

Eibach Pro-kit Springs (V6)
Tokico D-Spec shocks/struts
J&M fixed LCAs and adj. UCA
J&M Camber plates
Helwig Rear Sway

Per 4.6L swap:
4.6L V8 Motor
8.8" GT Takeoff Rear with cobra pinion flange
Spydershaft Alum. D/S
VMP Tuning 87,91 Tunes with JLT II CAI

I let an instructor drive the car to show me the line of the course they had set up, and to my surprise he had a HUGE smile on his face after the run. His exact words were, "I can see why Vaughn Gitten is so happy in all his photos!"

Last edited:

dafridgea

forum member
Reaction score
I am an example of a successful 4.0 to 4.6 swap.

In fact I just got back from my first drift test day at Willow Springs. Couldn't be any happier with my decision to swap.

I was the only domestic car out there today, and I did my best to have some fun!

What I currently run for my road race/drift setup:

Eibach Pro-kit Springs (V6)
Tokico D-Spec shocks/struts
J&M fixed LCAs and adj. UCA
J&M Camber plates
Helwig Rear Sway

Per 4.6L swap:
4.6L V8 Motor
8.8" GT Takeoff Rear with cobra pinion flange
Spydershaft Alum. D/S
VMP Tuning 87,91 Tunes with JLT II CAI

I let an instructor drive the car to show me the line of the course they had set up, and to my surprise he had a HUGE smile on his face after the run. His exact words were, "I can see why Vaughn Gitten is so happy in all his photos!"

Wow thats awesome. Going to look into this next christmas I think.

do you have a link to the J & M control arms?

Does anyone know any good Tow eye kits for front and back of mustangs?

Boy

forum member
Reaction score
Im assuming this is the stock v6 bumper, but what chin is this?
model?
make?
FILE0034-1.jpg

Back