New NASA Race Class

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
New NASA American Iron class: "Spec Iron", '05-10 S197 Mustangs

Ahh, you beat me to it. ;) I just posted the thread below on corner-carvers.com and was about to post it here as well.

http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?t=47124

===============================================

So NASA just released press release and ruleset for a new class, which now gives you 4 classes to chose from in CMC / AI. This is in response to the S197 pretty much whipping up on CMC (Camaro-Mustang-Challenge) for the past couple of years and the organizers then kicked this chassis out of that class. This new class has been brewing for some time, and probably why the 2013 AI rules were SO late in getting published this year.

DSC_5248-M.jpg

Press Release: http://www.nasaproracing.com/2013/01/nasa-announces-new-spec-iron-c.html
January 14, 2013 5:04 PM — american-iron-series.gif
NAPA VALLEY, CA (January 14, 2013) The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) is pleased to announce the introduction of a new class that will join the American Iron® series of ponycar racing in 2013. This new class will provide a lower barrier of entry to the series and complement the existing American Iron (AI) and American Iron Extreme (AIX) classes with an “American Iron Spec” type formula. The new Spec Iron (SI) class will feature the 2005-2010 Ford Mustang GT and is supported by Ford Racing. The cars will use a number of parts specified from the Ford Racing catalog along with the Toyo Proxes RA-1 tire following the successful formula that NASA has applied to many other spec classes. The “spec” prep level of the class will ensure that the class is a “driver’s class” full of close competition, limited modifications and exciting racing.

Mark Wilson of Ford Racing commented that “Many drivers have been looking to race the S197 chassis in a spec series like Spec Iron. We are very pleased to be working with NASA on this class and we are looking forward to seeing big fields as the class gains momentum.”

“We have been looking at adding a lower cost, limited modification spec formula to the American Iron® Series for quite a while,” added Todd Covini, American Iron® Series National Director. “With Ford Racing’s support and collaboration we were able to create an achievable and affordable build sheet for ponycar racers looking to try out a tightly controlled V8 formula like this. We think Spec Iron has a lot of growth potential and is really going to take off.”

In addition to vehicle parts and tuning support, Ford Racing is also providing a contingency program similar to the programs that American Iron racers in other classes currently enjoy. Regionally, Top 3 Spec Iron finishing drivers are eligible for cash prizes of $250/ $100 / $50 per race with a maximum of 2 races per NASA weekend provided a minimum of 3 class cars are competing. If 2 class cars compete, there is still a payout of $100/$50 per race. For the 2013 National Championships, Top 3 Spec Iron finishing drivers will be awarded $2500/ $1500 / $750. “With 16 NASA regions, and 6 to 10 weekends of racing in each region, that is a large commitment from Ford Racing which we certainly appreciate.” remarked Todd Covini. “Our goal is to have at least 10 Spec Iron cars competing for a National Championship this year.”

More information regarding contingency programs and other details will be released soon but rules are available now at both www.nasaproracing.com and www.nasaponycars.com. Racers can also discuss this new class in the American Iron® section of www.nasaforums.com.
2013 Spec Iron Rules: http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/american_iron/spec_iron_rules.pdf

Basic Details:

• Strict 11.75:1 (11.75 pounds of vehicle weight per each horsepower and lb ft of torque) power to weight ratio maximum as measured at the rear wheels. All cars that compete in this class may have more than the specified amount but may not exceed the 11.75:1 HP & TQ ratios.
  • The absolute minimum weight for SI cars is 3350 pounds.
  • Eligible cars: ’05-’10 Mustang, 4.6L 3V
  • Wheelbase, 108”. Max Track width: 74.5”
  • Min Ride Height: 5" inches, to be taken at the lowest point of the rocker panel
  • Toyo Tire RA-1 275/35ZR18 will be the spec tire for SI.
  • Wheels must be 18x9.5 and must weigh a minimum of 26.0 lbs. The Ford Racing M-1007-S1895 wheel is strongly recommended.

Cash Money!

The cash payouts are fairly generous for regional events considering there's virtually nothing for AI, AIX or CMC. Ford is putting up a lot of cash, but they have essentially "bought" the series and will supply all of the spec parts for virtually everything.

Spec Suspension

I'm not too keen on how locked down all of the suspension parts are (all FRPP bits), with bushings and camber plate choices limited to the one listing in the rules (all FRPP parts), but at least there's some choice for the shocks.

crop_DSC5970%20copy-S.jpg
jpg_DSC5921%20copy-S.jpg

With the same $1000 retail price limit per axle that CMC uses at least you can get something good for the dampers. We will supply AST 4150s for this class. I have talked to the guys at AST-USA and we're putting together a list of kits that will be CMC and Spec Iron legal for 2013, based on the new 4150 struts/shocks. We have the only S197 4150 coilover kits in the world at the moment and can deliver them to any potential Spec Iron (or AI or AIX) S197 racers... the $2000 price limit means we will ship them without the rear ride height adjusters or springs. I will make a new product entry for the Spec Iron legal S197 ASTs soon.

Thoughts about this class? Please discuss.

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I messed with an AI car, but do you guys think this class will be any easier to get in to than AI? I know some of the AI cars were starting to get a little out of control the last few years ($$$$ and prep wise), but s197s are still pretty expensive and there's plenty of work to be done to get one ready. It sounds like a lot of fun, but not terribly inexpensive.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
It's been a while since I messed with an AI car, but do you guys think this class will be any easier to get in to than AI? I know some of the AI cars were starting to get a little out of control the last few years ($$$$ and prep wise), but s197s are still pretty expensive and there's plenty of work to be done to get one ready. It sounds like a lot of fun, but not terribly inexpensive.
Well you can get a 2005 GT for about $15K in really nice shape. For a race car build, though, I'd find a salvage title car with a light front hit or maybe a light theft recovery. Figure closer to $8-10K (I've seen GTs with clean titles sell for as little as $10). They've locked down almost EVERYTHING with this spec class so you can't get to crazy with the mods. I'd figure you could get on track for $20K if you were frugal and did some of the prep work yourself (exceptions for things like the cage)...

Then there is the potential for $500/weekend in cash from Ford, which is unique to this Spec Iron class. That + Toyo money could cover a chunk of your racing expenses... if you win! Pays down to 3rd place tho, and in most regions you'd have 4 chances to race each weekend, improving your odds.

It should be faster than CMC but slower than AI or AIX (due to the power-to-weight ratio changes). CMC is a little... on the underpowered side for my tastes, but 3350 lbs / 11.75 = 285 whp. That should be quite entertaining on track. :)

Last edited:

hunterwiley

forum member
Reaction score
See if you can find an older caged s197 car to start with. I bought a 2005 log-booked AI Mustang last May, paid 15k for it in excellent condition. Car had not been on track since 08, was a perfect match for the spec iron series with the exception of the front brakes. Underpowered and uncompetitive for the current AI scene, but would have been nearly ready2race for the spec series. Unfortunately (for me) there was no hint of an upcoming spec series, so I've spent the last 6-7 months (and a few thousand bucks!) rebuilding the car to be hopefully competitive in the big-boy AI class this year, with no going back now. But if I were starting out, I'd sure go the spec class....

DTL

forum member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, might have to start keeping an eye out for a rolling chassis or old AI car. This class sounds like a good time!

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
This class sounds like a hell of a good time!

The basic spec is a well-sorted rock solid platform. Folks should be able to go racing with a very reliable car and see lots of real driver-to-driver comp. Hope this series takes off; may be in a position to join soon.

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
we will see. I'm hopefull about it but it's new and the silly season right now. I wouldn't go thinking a 15k car for this series. more like 30k for a car done right.

the 4150 is a good choice for anyone getting into the series if they can bend the cost factor and make it a legal shock choice.

I've specd out two cars already for builds and starting with a 10k car builds are being around 30k finished.

people forget silly things when building a car it's the little things like $425 amb transponders and $100 roll bar padding that adds up to thousands in the end

Last edited:

cf99gt

forum member
Reaction score
Awsome class to go club racing. Just the payouts alone should bring big interest. Let alone the expectation of close close racing, easy car set-up, easy rules policing, and running with the coolest (Mustang s197 only) car guys out there :highfive:

Steve, get to work on those rentals! :)

warpig12354

too slow
Reaction score
Does the car have to be abs equipped? Do you have to use the ford racing cc plates? What about the driveshaft?

Last edited:

cf99gt

forum member
Reaction score
Does the car have to be abs equipped? Do you have to use the ford racing cc plates? What about the driveshaft?

ABS is not required. You can only use stock abs or the FR abs if you'd like run abs.

If you change from stock, only FR cc plates are legal.

If its not mentioned in the rules, you cannot touch it (only oem replacement), so driveshaft must be stock/oem 2 piece.

The base for car rules is a completely stock 05-10 Gt 3v (which is completely legal to run stock with just safety equipment installed, if you'd like.)
The only stuff you can change/modify is items specifically mentioned in the rules. "If it dosent mention it, you cant touch it". ;)

cf99gt

forum member
Reaction score

Warpig, not sure if my pm's are getting sent(?)

But on your pm question, I believe only original equipped 05-10 3v v8 chassis are allowed (so Gt only). However, I'd check with your local Nasa Spec Iron director if you 've already got one swapped.

However, you can use body work from any 05-10 v6 (or gt).. front fascias, front/rear spoilers/lips, rear wings.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back