New stairs

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When we bought our house, we had some nice carpet installed.

Stairs01.jpg

We also had two Yorkies that weren't exactly potty trained. Naturally, they thought the carpet was an excellent place to handle their business for about a year and some change. Finally got through that ordeal, but decided that the carpet had to go. It was getting clean, but it still stunk. Enter wood on the stairs....

Carpet and padding gone:

Stairs02.jpg

New hotness:

Stairs03.jpg

Stairs04.jpg

We saved a few bucks by installing painted risers over additional treads. It's not 100% finished; still need to fix the drywall and do some caulking, but the hard part is behind me for sure.

JimC

Reaction score
Looks good, we did a big remodeling job two years ago and went to all hardwood (a lot of it was already there, just covered by carpeting by prior owners). After my wife slipped at the top of the stairs though and fell all the way to the bottom we ended up putting a center carpet runner on the steps. She said she still is very cautious when she starts down.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks. We are cautious for now and have thought about that same issue. We definitely make sure we tell guests to keep ahold of the handrail. I'd much rather re-stain that than deal with someone falling.

If you don't mind me asking, roughly how much did that runner cost? I'd like a custom one that does a 90* turn at the bottom of the stairs; there are 3 more steps at the bottom of that landing.

David Young

Reaction score
Nice job. My parents removed the carpet from their stairs a few years ago. The first to slip and fall down them were their little dog, he didn't get hurt but like JimC posted, you'll have to be a little more careful.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Looks great. Something I've been wanting to do for a while now. However, I'm in the same boat. I've got 6 yr old and 3 yr old girls that sleep upstairs and are always coming downstairs in the dark. I need all the friction I can get underneath their feet.

JimC

Reaction score
Thanks. We are cautious for now and have thought about that same issue. We definitely make sure we tell guests to keep ahold of the handrail. I'd much rather re-stain that than deal with someone falling.

If you don't mind me asking, roughly how much did that runner cost? I'd like a custom one that does a 90* turn at the bottom of the stairs; there are 3 more steps at the bottom of that landing.

I don't recall now, it was a couple hundred to have it cut, edged, and installed.

I'll see if I have a picture to post up.

JimC

Reaction score
Found some pictures. This is the set my wife fell down, there is a second set, about half as long too going to the third level; you can see it to the right.

0022.jpg

the view she hates now
DSC02570.jpg

DSC02571.jpg

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice. We are a ways off from that, but that's something I'm shooting for.

This flooring is pretty durable and it has a distressed finish. I encourage people to leave their shoes on, but the gf doesn't want that out of fear of scratches. We will figure something out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back