New Wing, New Pics

JohnnyGMachine

JohnnyGMachine
Reaction score
Eeehh - I just thought I'd throw up a couple picks of the Tungsten GT for kicks. Played with the lighting on the car, can get dramatically different colors out of the paint depending on the lighting. The new GT500 rear wing is worlds better looking than the cheesy stock GT pedestal wing. The GT500 wing follows the lines and curves of the body so well. Painter had to paint the wing twice since there was 2 different tungsten gray paint colors to pick from even though I gave him the VIN, build date, and paint code off the car.

OU81

slow typical mustang...
Reaction score
Looks great. I need to do the same. The stock wing is a joke imo. I have been wanting to change it for a while but havent gotten around to it

GB10

8s coming soon?
Reaction score
Eeehh - I just thought I'd throw up a couple picks of the Tungsten GT for kicks. Played with the lighting on the car, can get dramatically different colors out of the paint depending on the lighting. The new GT500 rear wing is worlds better looking than the cheesy stock GT pedestal wing. The GT500 wing follows the lines and curves of the body so well. Painter had to paint the wing twice since there was 2 different tungsten gray paint colors to pick from even though I gave him the VIN, build date, and paint code off the car.

Looks good. Paint code doesn't always mean that is for only one paint. That type of color will typically have two metallics to choose from: one being more fine and the other being a little more course. It is a guessing game sometimes to get the right one and if it is wrong the color will look different. Your painter must have got the wrong one the first time.

r0ng5

forum member
Reaction score
that looks good. I'm torn between a GT500 wing or no wing. Wish I had two GT's so I don't have to choose

JohnnyGMachine

JohnnyGMachine
Reaction score
that looks good. I'm torn between a GT500 wing or no wing. Wish I had two GT's so I don't have to choose

Just my opinion but here's my take on wings for these S197s....

The no wing-look works great for that drag car look. No wing, skinnies, and big meats out back really gives these cars a no nonsense look...almost brutal.

The GT500 wing is the nicest looking wing for these cars without going too over the top. It's clean, follows and compliments the lines of the back of the car. The back of the spoiler angle out (mirrored) mimics the outward angle cut of the top of the rear bumper nice. Not sure if I described that right. There are many iterations of the ducktail-style spoiler out there but I feel the factory GT500 wing is the cleanest and best.

The stock GT wing looks cheap, just sits on top of the decklid and these style wings always remind me of the wing on a 1982 Firebird - just awful. Rather have no wing.

The GT/CS wings on the 2011+ cars are probably the nicest looking pedestal type wings I've ever seen and actually like them.

The Roush competition wings - although some think they are ricey, they are not - fit the car for the purpose and I think look good.

Regular Roush wing - sorry, don't like. They don't follow the lines of the car at all. Right idea, bad design execution.

Not on here to offend anyone, again just my opinion on styling. I went to school for automotive design, have designed many parts for the aftermarket for various late model muscle cars as well as styled a few cars that went to SEMA so I tend to let my design opinions fly. There's tons of sweet rides on this forum so please remember I just sharing my opinion and to each his own. :rockon:

Last edited:

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Just my opinion but here's my take on wings for these S197s....

The no wing-look works great for that drag car look. No wing, skinnies, and big meats out back really gives these cars a no nonsense look...almost brutal.

The GT500 wing is the nicest looking wing for these cars without going too over the top. It's clean, follows and compliments the lines of the back of the car. The back of the spoiler angle out (mirrored) mimics the outward angle cut of the top of the rear bumper nice. Not sure if I described that right. There are many iterations of the ducktail-style spoiler out there but I feel the factory GT500 wing is the cleanest and best.

The stock GT wing looks cheap, just sits on top of the decklid and these style wings always remind me of the wing on a 1982 Firebird - just awful. Rather have no wing.

The GT/CS wings on the 2011+ cars are probably the nicest looking pedestal type wings I've ever seen and actually like them.

The Roush competition wings - although some think they are ricey, they are not - fit the car for the purpose and I think look good.

Regular Roush wing - sorry, don't like. They don't follow the lines of the car at all. Right idea, bad design execution.

Not on here to offend anyone, again just my opinion on styling. I went to school for automotive design, have designed many parts for the aftermarket for various late model muscle cars as well as styled a few cars that went to SEMA so I tend to let my design opinions fly. There's tons of sweet rides on this forum so please remember I just sharing my opinion and to each his own. :rockon:

I agree with you 100%. The GT500 wing looks awesome on any color S197! Doesn't matter what you've done to the car either, the GT500 wing fits in with anything.

However, I have the rear view camera wing on my 2011. I love it because while not quite as radical as the GT500 wing, it still looks a lot like it. What do you, and others, think?

DSC_0228-BL.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

DSC_0212-R.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

JohnnyGMachine

JohnnyGMachine
Reaction score
I'm cool with that wing, looks good and atleast it's clean...better than putting some pedastal wing on there. If it were me though, again - personally I like the GT500 wing on the 2010+ cars too.
Nice car man!!!

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I'm cool with that wing, looks good and atleast it's clean...better than putting some pedastal wing on there. If it were me though, again - personally I like the GT500 wing on the 2010+ cars too.
Nice car man!!!

Well, until they make a GT500 wing with the camera in it, I'll be running this one! LOL! Thanks for the comments on the car too. I love your car! Get you some nice wheels and you'll be all set!

JohnnyGMachine

JohnnyGMachine
Reaction score
Just trying to get a little more cash together to buy tires for my Steeda Spyders and then I'll probably be good for the summer...OK maybe some 4.10s but then THAT will be it for now LOL!

06slow6

Reaction score
gt 500 wing is the best! i have a gt wing on my car but gt500 wing or cdc ducktail is coming next. im tungsten also. but im sorry to any owner but its just my opinion, the cervinis ducktail is almost as bad as a fast and furious wing, just completely too tall and doesnt flow at all IMO. and your cdc retfr8flyr, looks perfect. and the underhood of that car.. DAMN!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back