New worst at track

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Holy crappy track night. Last time I took the car out it ran 12.2/12.3 all day at 115mph. Got 4 passes last night. New mods were aluminum DS, and swapped from 3.73s to 3.31s. First pass was 13.4@110. Blew the tires off. 255 16" ET streets that always dead hooked. Had them at 22psi since I've never had track issues before. So I lowered them to 17psi, still blew tires off 1st/2nd. 14.0@105.
Next run it hooked a bit better but still spun, then it shifted from 1st to 3rd (probably from wheel spin), then once it was in 3rd down shifted back to 2nd after a few feet. 13.0@110. Last run was a 13.3@108 sliding all over. Car makes no power and never had traction issues before. Just tune/intake/xpipe car. Was expecting to go 12.0s with the new driveshaft/gears. With the 3.73s it probably would have been even worse. Guess it is time to work on the suspension. I got LCA brackets, Upper and upper bracket waiting to go on along with a circle D 4C. I may wait on the converter, if it can't even hook off the stock one.

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Its hard to get past shitty track prep. Gears should help pick up your mph and help car hook All u can do on shit prep is make sure u get proper heat in the tire correct psi and hope for the best

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
DA much different? Track prep? Tires still sticky?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Your car is automatic, there is nothing to do but hold the gas pedal.
Problem = track prep.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Exactly. Just goes to show how track prep can take a bottom 12 second car and turn it into a mid 13 second car.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Got the lower brackets, Upper arm and upper bracket waiting to go on. Only issue is with how bad the track is, I doubt those will be enough.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The biggest advantage to driving on a bad track is that you really learn quickly what works the best. In the long run it will make you a better racer and will help you get your car set up correctly. If you can hook on your slippery home track then you can hook anywhere.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
True. Just disappointing. Not sure if the upper and LCA brackets will be near enough, especially when I do the circle D. Probably next step would be step up to a better tire, something like a 295 MT.

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
What does your burnout look like? Make sure u shift to 2nd to get the tire speed up.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Swapping from 3.73 to 3.31 gears isn't going to help 1/4 mile either

Yes it is. The 3.73 just made it shift at the 1100ft mark. That extra shift was slowing it down. Car went faster on stock gears. 3.31s are perfect for crossing through the traps without going to 4th. Plus with traction already being the key issue, 3.73s would just make it worse, and with the big stall, even worse. A 3.31 28" tire setup is perfect for the bolt on auto cars.

Burnouts varied from quick spin to big smokey burnouts.

All the cars were ~1 second off their best. Even a GTR that was going 9.8s before was only running 10.8s Friday night.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Yah, those maybe next. Viking DA? Not sure who sells them but that is probably next up. Not lowering it, I like the 4x4 nature of it.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Besides the shocks and new/different tires, what would be the next best thing to do? I really want to wear out these tires before going to something like a 295/60/15 ET street.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
At this point, I really think the rear shocks and tires are the next step.

Other than track prep, tire pressure/condition and driving style - there is really nothing else to do (considering the fact that the car got worse)

I also sell the Vikings, so let me know if and when you need them.

I really want to see what happens after the parts you already have, get installed, though.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Maybe time for slicks? I also agree that the gear swap isn't helping you. You don't have the torque to make the 3.31's work like they should. I know you disagree with that, so I'll let you figure that one out over the next few track outings. :)

Once you get it to hook again, you're going to find that it's just not accelerating like it did with the 3.73's. The balance between hook and bog is hard to find with tall gears, and an n/a motor.

Last edited:

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
I still disagree since it was faster/better with stock gears than the 3.73s.

I'll try the upper/lca brackets and see. No slicks. Car shouldn't need slicks at 380rwhp.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back