Newly purchased maintenance

Nick93

Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first post here. Just picked up an 06' GT premium 5 speed with 40,000 miles. I already replaced the oil and filter with ford oem motorcraft parts and oil. I was wondering what (if any) other preventative maintenance I should perform. While it only has 40k miles it's still a 12 year old car.. any input would be appreciated, thanks !

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Change the transmission fluid for some ordinary dex 3. Change every year or two after that. Recommended fill is [some distance] under the fill hole. I use a funnel on a ladder and plastic tubing to fill thru the shifter opening.

Keep an eye on the tires if they're original. Might want to turn them into dust and smoke sooner than later.

Nice low mile find!

Last edited:

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Congrats on the sweet ride!

Did you get the Owner's Manual? If so...do the scheduled service for your car's mileage. Pretty much, on top of oil/filter, there's the intake filter (unless CAI), anti-freeze (flush/fill), drivetrain (tranny & rear diff fluids), brake check, tires (condition/pressure) and do an overall looksee while you clean/detail the car. Enjoy!

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride. Definitely look at the tires. It is important to check the level of all fluids but everything else can be done in time. First enjoy the heck out of it. Give your self time to get used to it and know how it will react to your driving. Then the modding starts.....it always does. Don't forget to post an introduction in the section for that and try to follow the forum rules. Good luck.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Oh guys dont forget to have the op change the wonderful spark plugs ford gave us! Op look up spark plug change for 3v’s it can be a nightmare. Even though you have low miles Id still do it now rather than later and switch to 1 piece spark plugs while theyre out so you wont have a broken plug down the road.

Oh and get all the crap out of the cowl vent drains along the firewall. They like to clog up and back water into the cabin.

Nick93

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! Definitely going to clean the cowl out this week thanks for reminding me of that issue. I have heard of the notorious spark plug issue.. I'm afraid to replace those. Maybe I will wait until they start failing before I tackle that. Also is a tranny fluid replacement a good idea since it's the original factory fluid (as far as I know) if yes what is the factory (or better) recommended fluid ? Thanks again guys

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I assumed it was a 5 speed manual. Use cheap dexron III from wal mart. Non synthetic.

If it's an auto, RIP.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Synchromesh for the manual. Made the shifts a lot smoother in mine, and my mechanic has been recommending Synchromesh in all Ford manual transmissions for years. I used it in my Bullitt and also in my 2014 GT, changed it with less than 5K miles on it. I used the Pennzoil brand Synchromesh available at many auto parts stores for about $10 per quart.

Nick93

Reaction score
Forgive my lack of knowledge in this area but what is the difference between synchromesh and dexron III ? Can anyone link the correct fluid if possible ?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Forgive my lack of knowledge in this area but what is the difference between synchromesh and dexron III ? Can anyone link the correct fluid if possible ?
Syncromesh is actually made for manual transmissions. The same trans installed in a GM would come with it from the factory.

Nick93

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I am also on the hunt for mods.. How do I get permission to post in the WTB section ?

projectHCslayer

Reaction score
i would change the fuel filter and plugs, i just did my plugs let them sit overnight in Pb blaster i got lucky all 8 came out in one piece.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I borrowed a lisle tool from another member of another forum Im on and I was happy I did. I had 1 plug break on me. I didnt use any lube on the plugs, what I did was use my 30” breaker bar to break the plugs free. The one was just seized in there I dont think any amount of lube would have prevented it from breaking. Anyway I got a set of Ford Racing stock plugs and was quite disappointed when it ran like crap. I pulled the plugs to find that 4 or them the porcelain wasnt glued in place so I sent them back and bought Brisk Racing 1 piece plugs, which only I think steeda carried at the time and they werent cheap. They cost me over 100 bucks I remember. I highly recommend them because they are a 1 piece design so they shouldnt break off in the head.

And remember to use a torque wrench when installing the new plugs. I didnt at first and it ran like crap until I bought one and torqued to spec.

Nick93

Reaction score
Ah okay I will do the fuel filter as well and thanks for the warning about those oem plugs. I do not have a garage to work in so maybe I will wait a month until it gets warmer out before I do the plugs then.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
If you are going to replace your tranny fluid just get a $10 hand pump and put the fluid in from under the car. It's easy. And it will help shifting.

Nick93

Reaction score
If you are going to replace your tranny fluid just get a $10 hand pump and put the fluid in from under the car. It's easy. And it will help shifting.

I can't seem to get a straight answer on the fluid.. some people swear by Royal purple synchromax and others say dextron III. Can anyone clarify the differences ? What does ford recommend. I don't want to damage my trans by using the wrong type of fluid.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Synchromax is definitely not recommended.

Synchromesh is expensive

cheap dexron will work best and is cheap.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back