No tune intakes

stangsforever

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with them. What kind of results have you gotten, driveability.

fst06stg

The Conservative
Reaction score
pretty limited power from my experience. youve got an open element, but the intake tubes on most non-tune intakes arent much bigger than stock.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I would also say the gains would be minimal. You would be better off with a drop-in K&N filter.

There are a few non-tune intakes out there. One in particular looks interesting in that it is modular. Airaid makes it. What I mean by modular is that they have a velocity stack that you can insert around the MAF area that will provide stock air flow readings preventing the need for a tune. If and when you get the chance for a tune, you can remove the velocity stack and set the trims accordingly.

Pretty neat idea if you ask me. I decided to try one for myself and hope to have some feedback this coming weekend. :highfive:

cantdrive55

forum member
Reaction score
I would also say the gains would be minimal. You would be better off with a drop-in K&N filter.

There are a few non-tune intakes out there. One in particular looks interesting in that it is modular. Airaid makes it. What I mean by modular is that they have a velocity stack that you can insert around the MAF area that will provide stock air flow readings preventing the need for a tune. If and when you get the chance for a tune, you can remove the velocity stack and set the trims accordingly.

Pretty neat idea if you ask me. I decided to try one for myself and hope to have some feedback this coming weekend. :highfive:
C&L has one as well.

I wouldn't think you'd get much from a no-tune intake. If the intake flows enough air to make some power, you'll need a tune to send more fuel to the engine.

L.Sanchez

forum member
Reaction score
I had a so called no tune intake. You need a tune. :) The cars power feels peaky and there is this constant stutter/hesitation. Is it ok for some? Sure. Was ok for me? Hell no. Felt worse than stock to me. SCT tuner helped. A custom tune, even more.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
save some money for an intake that requires a tune, night and day difference.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
i have the Airaid CAI.. im running it w/ the velocity stack IN and the car is on a tune from BBR for a stock intake and this things feels LOTS faster then the car did w/ the dyno tune for the Airaid... i havent gotten a tune for the CAI w/ OUT the insert in yet, not alot of shops have tunes for it yet.. Chris at BBR said he could probably set up a tune for this CAI w/out the insert though.. i measured it the other day..
Insert IN=89mm ID
Insert OUT=99mm ID

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
V
i have the Airaid CAI.. im running it w/ the velocity stack IN and the car is on a tune from BBR for a stock intake and this things feels LOTS faster then the car did w/ the dyno tune for the Airaid... i havent gotten a tune for the CAI w/ OUT the insert in yet, not alot of shops have tunes for it yet.. Chris at BBR said he could probably set up a tune for this CAI w/out the insert though.. i measured it the other day..
Insert IN=89mm ID
Insert OUT=99mm ID

Great feedback.:highfive:

JV doose

forum member
Reaction score
question ... what if you do run an intake that requires a tune... will it throw a code or just not work to its "peak" potential?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
It will run like crap, stumbling and all, I've started my car after putting my C&L racer on just to see and eventually a CEL will come on, didn't care to see if that far through though.

droptop07

forum member
Reaction score
I ran a BBK intake and it doesnt require a tune, and swapped to JLT which does. With the BBK and no tune would get slight detnation sometime when getting on it, but that could be from gas qaulity. Was noticable over stock set up some. I bought a Diablo tuner and swapped to JLT. I ran the BBK kit with the C&L street tune and was better than just the BBK. But I swapped to a JLT kit since the tuner had a tune for it and I wanted tune to match kit. If there was any difference between the BBK kit with C&L tune and JLT kit with JLT tune, its not much. The Butt-O-meter didnt notice anything..

JV doose

forum member
Reaction score
hmmn because i bought a JLT but i do not have a tune. actually i was told you can install it without but it just wont run at its full potential. i was never told about detonation or CEL lights. i guess i will just wait for a tune. anyone know the best custom tune for the JLT?

Last edited:

LegendLives

Reaction score
I bought one from Big Daddy Performance, the kit comes with a specially calibrated Mass Air Meter, Intake Tube, Air Box and a re-usable Air Filter.
http://www.bigdaddyperformance.com/index.php?src= It was ok but it is nothing like a tune, it also cost as about as much, if not more and I got a BBR tune anyway. The problem I have now w/ it is as long as I run his Mass Air Meter I have to tell the tuner not to mess w/ the air/fuel settings. I feel that kind of ties the tuners hands some. Its a C&L Racer CAI, and Im looking at changing back to the stock Mass Air Meter so tuners can work those adjustments.
Bottom line: Save you cash for a good CAI and tune!!!

ixtlan

Reaction score
Waste of money unless you go the route of Legend.
No Tune intakes are as restrictive as Stock or just over-sized enough to be on the edge of stock tolerances.
Gain will be little or none. Better off dropping a K&N or Fram Airhog filter in your stock box.
If there is no increase in air volume then there is no gain or negligible.
I experimented with my TI and the stock tune.
Put it on and started the car up with stock tune.
Threw lean codes and ran like crap.
That tells me the TI made a big difference in air volume to the engine and leaned the mixture out to where the computer could not compensate for the increased air.
At the time I had the Air Hog so the only restriction came from the intake itself.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back