Not Mustang related, but a new personal favorite for me.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
This has become my new personal favorite for me as far as detailing goes.

This is a 1967 Pontiac GTO equipped with a supercharged LS9 (ZR1) motor. It belongs to Jason Taylor, formerly of the Miami Dolphins (and Jets and 'skins but who counts them).

The car was built by Big Dicks Muscle Cars in Tamarac, Florida, and they came to me to detail it for a show this past weekend. The car had swirls galore. She was a garage queen (still stored at the shop, as Taylor hasn't taken it home yet...who would when he's driving a '67 Eleanor clone daily).

The only time it'd been "detailed" before, it was washed with waterless car wash. So the paint was scratched to say the LEAST! (see: WATERLESS CAR WASHES FUCKIN SUCK.)

Here was my process:

Washed and stripped using CG Citrus, and Max Suds.
Dried using a leaf blower (electric of course)
Then all the top side surfaces were compounded using 3D's HD Cut on an orange pad, using very slow, deliberate passes. I didn't follow the normal up/down, left/right patterns. They didn't generate enough heat with a DA polisher. What I did was slowly move it back and forth over a small 3-4" section several times, then move down a bit and repeat. Once I did this a couple times in a section, THEN i used the left/right up/down method and it came out amazing.

I followed up the HD Cut with 3D's HD Adapt (just to get some minor swirls out) using a light green light cutting pad.

Lastly, I used the DA to apply 3D's HD Speed (my new fav product), using a blue finishing pad.

After that, I applied Wolfgangs 3.0 Deep Gloss.

I allowed the car to sit over night, and when I came back in the morning, I had an employee wax it with Wolfgangs Fuzion (while I was detailing the Mustang).

All in all, it took about 12 hours, 9 pads, and countless towels! The results were breathtaking. When the guys at the shop came to pick the car up, they were stunned. When I saw it from a distance pulling up at the car show, I was stunned. I almost cried. I kid you not. It was the most beautiful thing Ive seen. I wish I had it on video.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
Very nice, and do you think the reason why waterless washes are bad in your opinion is because people don't know how to use them properly or they're just not a great alternative to an old fashioned wash. I keep a bottle of chemical guys Eco Wash in my arsenal but I really only use it if the car has a bit more than the usual daily dust that settles on it...and even then I'm careful when wiping it off.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
Well, I just don't think that you can wash a car without first using at the least a jet nozzled garden hose to get off anything that is settled on the car. I use a 3300 psi 2.5 gpm pressure washer with a 15* nozzle. I can go about 2 inches off the paint, safely, before I would even begin to worry, and it gets everything off from bugs to sap to dirt/dust.

I won't even use detail spray and a clean microfiber to clean a panel immediately after washing a car because of the small amounts of dust and dirt in the air that may have landed on the car! I blow each panel off with compressed air before doing any polishing or waxing (compounding: i could care less since those types of scratches are gonna be made with compound anyways).

Bottom line: I am 100% against waterless washes.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
You did an outstanding job on the paint correction.

When I see a high-dollar, professionally-built car, I tend to get real picky about paint and bodywork. Overall it looks okay but the panel alignment on that GTO is horrid. Someone should have at least taken the time to align the driver's door better than that.

C'mon...

IMG_2704_zpsd640aa25.jpg

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
I took it to the Cars, Cause, Charity show at Sun Life. Nice turn out, but mostly italians and germans at the show.

And ya, thats a great point about the alignment. I hate to say this without getting my d*ck chopped off, but remember: i didn't modify this car! That being said...this GTO....was....numbers...matching.

Toasty

Reaction score
Dang Lupo! That car would have been great at the Sheehan car show or even at the Festival Flea Market in Pompano Beach!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back