Obligatory stupid catch can question!!!!!!

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gabe do you always live in the past? The present and future is UPR is doing a lot to change their perception. Believe me i have had my issues with them, but that person that i had issues with is no longer in charge. The owner is much more involved and really wants to do whats best for everyone. Their latest catch can is where they have started. It really is a pretty cool piece and i will give an honest review of it.

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
That's likely due to the factory calibration of how much air it's supposed to draw in from the IAC and how much from the PCVs through the intake tube/manifold ports. I doubt at anything when the TB is open - and the IAC is shut. I imagine when you let off the gas at high RPM it's even worse than idle.

I'd rather adjust the idle a bit than have oil in my engine - just personal preference.

The whole issue of metered vs unmetered air is bunk; the PCV is basically pressure from 2 factors - one created by blow by and one created by simple heating of components and oil. heat stuff, it expands, heat it in a closed environment, pressure grows. Blow by is indeed air that was metered, but it already went through the combustion chamber, if you reintroduce it, it's new, it's much like hooking up your exhaust to your air filter - except it didn't escape through the exhaust valve but next to the piston. Either way, it's new air. The heat generated pressure is so small and gradual when the engine warms up that it doesn't really affect anything. The only reason you're seeing a large difference with breathers is because the engine is calibrated to use the IAC for a certain amount of air and the rest from the pcv.

To each their own :)

My solution, for having a paxton on the car - I didn't like their one way valve deal - so I'm going for a vented catch can. Kinda like a breather but should cut down the mess almost completely. It's gonna be mounted in the empty space by the brake booster, once I get the right hose barbs and whatnot...

FYI the Coyote doesn't use the IAC since it has an electronic throttle.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Gabe do you always live in the past? The present and future is UPR is doing a lot to change their perception. Believe me i have had my issues with them, but that person that i had issues with is no longer in charge. The owner is much more involved and really wants to do whats best for everyone. Their latest catch can is where they have started. It really is a pretty cool piece and i will give an honest review of it.

I know so much about UPR and their way of doing business, I can't ever see myself forgetting or forgiving.
It is what it is.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
So I bought the engraved one for early 4.6 s197's before the upgraded lines and diffusers etc were available.
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-billet-oil-catch-can-separator-driver-gt-logo-05.html

It works well but I see stuff is still getting through, would be early generation housing fit some of the new internal parts to be more effective?
What do I need to order?

Either send me a PM or call us at 561.588.6630 and we'll work out an upgrade.

I went for the real thing and just installed 2 BT cans on my Whippled 5.0

No Unauthorized Product Reproduction on my ride.

LOL! BT does not make anything like this-

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
LOL! BT does not make anything like this-

That monstrosity above looks so over-complicated .... you really don't need all that crap to make a catch can work well.

I got the BT cans since I used one before on my Charger and it worked great.
I wasn't willing to spend stupid money for a can, especially since I needed 2 of them.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
That monstrosity above looks so over-complicated .... you really don't need all that crap to make a catch can work well.

We've A-B tested against the BT cans. They're not even close. Two BT cans don't work as well as one UPR can. But it's great that you're happy with them. It's competition with BT and the other brands which has driven our innovation. I welcome it!

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Will this work on a NA car???

Of course! We have several different configurations and can finishes available. But we have a great looking setup which mounts that can to the cowl next to the battery. Looks great! Drop me a PM if you're interested and I'll cut you a nice price if you send me some high res shots of it on your car.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh trust me, they will be high res no blemish/dust/miles on the car!!!!

Why he needs an o/s on a car that never moves is beyond me!

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Oh trust me, they will be high res no blemish/dust/miles on the car!!!!

Why he needs an o/s on a car that never moves is beyond me!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though... we could use some studio quality photos of our cans on a show car. I'm not even joking!

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So i got the UPR catch cans today and wow. These are much nicer in person. I will post up some pics tomorrow. Since i have 2 cans i will be doing a test run of sorts. I will be putting both of them in line with each other and see just how good it is. Im hoping no oil gets in the 2nd one. I of course will share the results bad or good. I will start a new thread with all the details tomorrow and link it here.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
So i got the UPR catch cans today and wow. These are much nicer in person. I will post up some pics tomorrow. Since i have 2 cans i will be doing a test run of sorts. I will be putting both of them in line with each other and see just how good it is. Im hoping no oil gets in the 2nd one. I of course will share the results bad or good. I will start a new thread with all the details tomorrow and link it here.

Here we gooooo... can't wait!

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I got the BT cans since I used one before on my Charger and it worked great.
I wasn't willing to spend stupid money for a can, especially since I needed 2 of them.

It is all about getting the water and oil vapor to condense in the catch can. If they have solid testing that shows it works better, give credit where it is due.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back