"OFFICIAL" How To Paint GT Coil Covers!

RC_Stang

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, so Ive been posting several different colors of Coil Covers I've been painting. I am still available to paint covers for anyone that does not have the tools or time to paint these on their own, but I thought I would post on "my" steps for painting. Keep in mind that I use professional grade airbrush, sprayers, clear, and paint (in most cases), but the steps are the same. You can also apply these steps to other plastic engine parts (radiator/engine covers, fuse box cover, etc.) At the end are some pictures of the finished product (sorry, but I dont have photos of the process). The steps start out assuming you have stock covers in perfect condition, and are clean and degreased.

1. Using a course Scotch pad, wipe over the entire surface
2. Wipe surface with mineral spirits or 90% alcohol
3. Using Adhesion promoter, follow directions on can, 3 coats
4. Apply Primer then let dry (I use auto primer) then sand with 400-600 according to the primer directions.
5. Apply paint..at least two light coats before applying medium/wet coat
If you want a different color lettering and bars, follow steps 6-10, otherwise skip to Step 11.
6 Apply clear coat on area around 2 bars and around letters. You may do this after initial paint has dried to the touch. This will protect overspray while painting the letters.
7. Let Dry overnight.
8. Tape off area around bars and large areas around letters (No need to tape off every millimeter of the area)
9. Using an airbrush, paint the bars, then remove tape, wiping off overspray with REDUCER OR Airbrush Thinner...NOT PAINT or LACQUER THINNER. The clear you have already sprayed around this area will protect paint underneath from being removed with thinner.
10. Paint 3-4 letters at a time, then quickly remove tape and wipe overspray. Do this until all the letters are painted. By now all the painting should be done.
11. You are now ready for clear coat. Lightly scuff painted surface with a fine Scotch pad.
12. Wipe with tack cloth (I use compressed air)...There should be NO dust on the item before clear coating.
13. Spray clear coat..I use 2-part professional auto clear coat, 3 light layers and one medium-heavy layer, with 10-15 minutes flash time..You need to follow recommendation on the clear product you use.
14. Let dry over night.
15. Now you are ready for Wet Sanding- If you are happy with clear coat finish, you may install and be on your way, but there is nothing like buffing out clear for the glass, mirror shine and to remove the orange peel look.
a. 1000 grit
b. 1500 grit
c. 2000 grit--all should be WET SANDING!
16. Buffing- If you know how to buff with rubbing compound and polishing compound, you may do so. I use Adam's 3-Stage compounds with Porter Cable 7424 XP. It is very difficult to achieve a mirror-shine doing this by hand.
a. Green Compound-This brings out a shine immediately
b. Orange Compound
c. White Compound -polishing stage
17. I apply Adam's Sealant as a final stage, since it is not recommended to apply was so soon after clear.

These are MY steps and can be varied if you have painting skills. Here are some pics of covers so far:

Triple Blaze Yellow (NQ)

IMG_7463.jpg

IMG_7464.jpg

Grabber Blue (CI)
IMG_7454a.jpg

IMG_7467.jpg

Race Red (PQ)
IMG_6855.jpg

IMG_6847.jpg

High Performance White (HP)
IMG_7217.jpg

Black (generic)
IMG_7067.jpg

IMG_7060.jpg

Silver Metallic (Spray Can)
IMG_7036-1.jpg

Candy Apple (Spray Can)
IMG_6951.jpg

Here's all the samples of ones Ive done:

http://s265.photobucket.com/user/rjcolos/library/Painted Coil Covers Mustang GT 2011-13?page=1

ENJOY!!

RC

Here they are in my own engine bay with clear-coated Radiator cover:

RadiatorCoverClear5-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cgibs89

Stickers add HP brah
Reaction score
Awesome write up and amazing results. This might push me to do mine finally.

RC_Stang

forum member
Reaction score
No love for GHIG? Lol I am still wanting you to paint mine but been lazy to send em.
IMG_7473.jpg

This paint is special order and costs a little more for me to do, but looks really HAWT, IMO!
As far as the cover, yeah, that's as good as you can do without going overboard on a "design" Just a REAL PITA to wet sand afterwards.

RC

I want those silver metallic ones!!
I was thinking of getting rid of mine anyway, but may not be until I get my Roush at the end of the year.
RC

Those look real good; can definitely see they aren't just rattle canned haha
Actually, some of them are..the silver and the black ones are.

However, it's all in the prep work. once that primer is sanded butt-smooth, even the rattle can paint goes right on really smooth.

Also, the clear is professional auto 2-part, over $100 per gallon.
RC

You guys are great and enthusiastic..hope to see some posts if you take this on yourself.
RC

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Any of these available for sale ? :)

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
This makes me wish I had sent you my factory GT covers to paint instead of buying the blue Boss covers... :-(

Last edited:
Back