Oil Consumption? Anyone else burning a TON of oil?

S

Stangs530

gone

Being a member of this board is a waste of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
stopped at a light an smelt oil burning and saw a cloud of smoke go by me.
this is a bit concerning, coming out of the exhaust which would mean oil is being burned with the fuel, I see a Boss intake and cai, which would mean your tuned..................check compression and the spark plug on #8 then post up the results. then again you just joined in August and have few post, hope youre not a troll stirring the pot, if youre not please forgive me but it happens all to often

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Bet you wish you hadn't had it tuned by AED now. If it's smokin out the exhaust I'd bet your #8 piston is toast.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't jump on the 8 wagon just yet. A bunch of people have consumed oil in thecfirst 5-6k but 5 quarts is a lot.....and smoke is never really good either.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Also I have read of a few being low on oil off the assembly line. There are also people who have been getting oil changes at the dealerships and those monkeys only refill it with six quarts....just saying.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't jump on the 8 wagon just yet. A bunch of people have consumed oil in thecfirst 5-6k but 5 quarts is a lot.....and smoke is never really good either.
if its stock, prolly not a #8 but he's being a little shady, on this forum he has a pic of an engine bay with a Boss intake and a cai, on the other boards he's posted on he doesnt allude to the fact that he's tuned or not...........

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score

Also I have read of a few being low on oil off the assembly line. There are also people who have been getting oil changes at the dealerships and those monkeys only refill it with six quarts....just saying.

Neither of these posts apply to this thread. First off, my car burned oil, about 1.5qt, in the first 1500 miles or so. Then stopped completely. It never smoked and I've not heard of anyone having smoke coming from their car as part of breaking in. If it's smoking, something is wrong.

Your second post is just informational at best.

OP, I'd pull your #8 plug, passenger side in the back, and post pics.

Entrenched

forum member
Reaction score
I hope I'm not wrong but passenger back is #4, Driver's back is #8....

Reaction score
I've heard of new mustangs burning oil then it getting better somehow someway....... Doesn't make sense, but who knows. Just keep an eye on it and if it worsens take it to the ford dealer and get their diagnosis and your powertrain warranty voided. :X :thud: :kidding:

stang1971

forum member
Reaction score
mine hasnt burnt a bit of oil.. always on the full mark every time i check it.. i have 9700 miles on it.

Nastystang06

forum member
Reaction score
Alot of this can depend on how you drive, if you have to the floor everywhere you go its going to burn a little oil vs. Just cruizing and not driving hard alot

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
How am I being "shady" exactly? Tuning in no way would affect the car burning oil.

If your car really is smoking thru the exhaust you should pull your #8 plug and take a look at it. If the end of the plug is covered in oil then your #8 piston is toast and you are looking at a motor rebuild at your expense.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Why is that? Are just you trying to start a bunch of B/S going back and forth? Please let me know how exactly a tune could cause my car to burn oil. It absolutely couldn't, no if's and's or but's.

Let me spell this out for you. You had your car tuned by a guy who hasn't tuned many 5.0's. If your car IS actually smoking thru the exhaust more than likely your #8 piston has a broken ring land letting oil pass thru and into the exhaust thus making your car burn oil. This is how a TUNE can cause your car to use oil. It's really simple just pull your #8 plug and look at it. If it's covered with oil you have your answer.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Why is that? Are just you trying to start a bunch of B/S going back and forth? Please let me know how exactly a tune could cause my car to burn oil. It absolutely couldn't, no if's and's or but's.

2 main ways. Too much timing or running it too lean could cause the ring land to bust off the piston. You don't have to search long to find the threads on this. I hope this isn't your situation.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back