Oil dipstick tube

05bluestang

Resident Riceburner Kille
Reaction score
Ss there a gasket, O-ring or grommet that goes on the bottom of the engine oil dipstck tube? Since the removal and reinstallation for long tube headers my oil dipstick tube is leaking where it goes into the engine block. Anybody else have this issue? :helpme:

06gtmustang

forum member
Reaction score
The tube has a small o ring so it should not be hard to find one and replace it.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
If the o-ring is there, you may have to replace it. Also have to make sure the tube is all the way in and straight into the block. The mounting hole on the head should line up to the mounting bracket on the tube perfectly....even with headers.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shop manual calls for a little clean engine oil on the O-Ring before it is slipped into the block. The bolt is tightened to 10 Nm (89 lb-in).

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Also, when you insert the dip stick tube into the block, you should feel a positive engagement. You place it in the hole and then push further until it sort of snaps into place. The bottom of the tube above the o-ring has a flange that should sit flush on top of the hole. Definitely needs to be lubricated before inserting...ooh that sounded bad... lol

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
... and the part I like best is the Service Manual tells you to replace the o-ring - but it isn't service separately!!

05bluestang

Resident Riceburner Kille
Reaction score
I messed with it last night, it's defenitely slopping where it seats in the engine block. Not sure yet if it's just the o-ring. There is lots of movement on the botom where it seats. Hope I dont have to preplace the whole thing, it's a pain in the azz with the long tubes :dead2:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Any decent hydraulic shop should be able to match up the o ring for you. IMO stuff like that is no big deal. I just pull it off, run over to my local hydraulic guy and say "Can you match up this o ring? It's off my oil dip stick tube."
They will need to know what type of fluid it's exposed to so they can give you the correct type of o ring.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back