Oil on spark plug threads??

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Installed my TVS today and when I got to installing the colder plugs I noticed there was some oil on the threaded portion on two of the plugs. I don't know which cylinder #'s they are but one is on the drivers side closest to the bumper and the second is on the drivers side closest to the firewall. There was also a small amount of oil on the shaft portion of the coil pack, not a lot but it was visible enough to know it shouldn't be there. Oddly enough none of the plugs had any oil on the plug strap or igniter/center electrode. All plugs were bone dry and the strap had a normal light grey color which indicates the A/F hasn't been overly rich or lean.

About 3 months ago. The car had a pretty loud ticking sound on the drivers side. Turned out to be a loose spark plug and the dealer re-tapped one of the spark plug holes on the driver side. Since then the car has performed perfectly. Here's the thread that has further info on that situation:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110946

I haven't driven the car since installing the TVS tonight, just started it and let it idle for 4-5 minutes to make sure there wasn't any major issues. Currently the car idles decently and nothing seems out of the norm.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning to get it on the rollers but at this point I'm not sure if I should be pushing the car due to the oil I found on the shaft of the CP's and the threads.

My gut tells me the dealer improperly installed the driver side valve cover gasket when they did the repair a few months ago. Just doesn't make since how it would soak the threads but nothing on the strap or electrode.

Thoughts??

-Nick

Sarge1400

forum member
Reaction score
I would guess it's a very small valve cover gasket leak. Not enough to make a mess, but enough to collect on the spark plug base over time.
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Yup, valve cover gasket leak. Virtually no other way to get oil on the threads unless it was spilled and leaked in there.

The oil puddles around the plug until you unscrew it and then it gets on the threads.

-Steve

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Ditto. I don't care for the deep recessed holes for spark plug access. any crap that gets down in there is almost guaranteed to end up in your cylinder when you pull the plug. I have an extended length air nozzle that I use to blow out the spark plug holes before pulling my plugs on a modular motor. You'd be amazed at how much crap accumulates in there between 50K mile plug changes.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming everyone!!

Does anyone know how I should go about getting the dealer to replace the gasket since it obviously didn't leak before they repaired the head 2 months prior to this?

I just have a feeling they will tell me that they didn't cause this leak and I will be stuck footing the bill.

-Nick

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Valve cover gaskets are reusable but it's easy to not have it seated in the groove correctly. Keep in mind they call the mechanics 'techs' but often times it's just some kid with minimal training that doesn't really know exactly what he's doing. $129 per man hour doesn't always buy you the master tech with 30 years experience.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Valve cover gaskets are reusable but it's easy to not have it seated in the groove correctly. Keep in mind they call the mechanics 'techs' but often times it's just some kid with minimal training that doesn't really know exactly what he's doing. $129 per man hour doesn't always buy you the master tech with 30 years experience.

On the other hand sometimes the "Master Tech" with 30 years in has become a sloppy mechanic that's just grinding through the days until he can retire.

Some of the worst mechanics I've known are the old guys. Sad but true.

-Steve

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back