Oil seperators and/or breathers on your boosted 3V's?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The thing about a Procharger is that it's a blow through system. Very different than a pd blower.

You have a few options. I ran my D1 with a breather on a hose for the passenger side and the drivers side hooked into the pcv system. The 3v is designed to draw air in from the passenger side and vent through the drivers side. Setting it up like this kept a good vacuum on the motor. It also allows for unmetered air (a no no) to come into the intake via the crankcase. The small amount of unmetered air coming in through the pcv never caused any problems. My guess is that the amount of air is very small when compared to what freely comes in through the tb.

I also ran my Paxton like this after it was converted to blow through. I'm one of those people who doesn't like crankcase odors, smelled enough of that stuff to last an entire lifetime back in the day.

I know of others who run their blow through setups like I ran mine. Nobody has ever had issues with it. A search of this site will turn up a whole lot of opinions on how to deal with venting the crankcase. In any case run a catch can and like Brian mentioned it's only needed on the driver side with a 3v. This is because of the airflow path. In through the passenger side and out the drivers side.

If you run breathers then oil mist will get pushed out of both sides because of the lack of vacuum on the drivers side.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
The 3v is designed to draw air in from the passenger side and vent through the drivers side. Setting it up like this kept a good vacuum on the motor.

Enough of a vacuum to make a horsepower difference ? What about that hot air re-entering the intake ?

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't had to clean my driver side vent since I added them. The passenger side gets a little oily, but there isn't a "mist" or any pooled oil. Clean it every couple months.
Maybe Im lucky (for once) LOL.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't had to clean my driver side vent since I added them. The passenger side gets a little oily, but there isn't a "mist" or any pooled oil. Clean it every couple months.
Maybe Im lucky (for once) LOL.

I get a little on the driver's side, but not like the passenger side. The passenger side is easy to remedy by running a hose from the vent to a catch can then running another hose from the other side of the catch can down under the car. Hardly any comes out the other side of the can though, if any.

Black Bullitt

Reaction score
The thing about a Procharger is that it's a blow through system. Very different than a pd blower.

You have a few options. I ran my D1 with a breather on a hose for the passenger side and the drivers side hooked into the pcv system. The 3v is designed to draw air in from the passenger side and vent through the drivers side. Setting it up like this kept a good vacuum on the motor. It also allows for unmetered air (a no no) to come into the intake via the crankcase. The small amount of unmetered air coming in through the pcv never caused any problems. My guess is that the amount of air is very small when compared to what freely comes in through the tb.

I also ran my Paxton like this after it was converted to blow through. I'm one of those people who doesn't like crankcase odors, smelled enough of that stuff to last an entire lifetime back in the day.

I know of others who run their blow through setups like I ran mine. Nobody has ever had issues with it. A search of this site will turn up a whole lot of opinions on how to deal with venting the crankcase. In any case run a catch can and like Brian mentioned it's only needed on the driver side with a 3v. This is because of the airflow path. In through the passenger side and out the drivers side.

If you run breathers then oil mist will get pushed out of both sides because of the lack of vacuum on the drivers side.

Fantastic, this was the info I was looking for. My searching abilities suck because I couldn't find what I was searching.

In any case, this is the route I will most likely take. I don't want a messy or stinky engine bay. So breather on the passanger side and then the the driver side to a catch can or 2, and then to the CAI before the head unit.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score

I had a feeling this was all true. Not only have I been running an open breather with the PVC going to the IM on this car, but I have done it to many different motors in the past with zero issues.

I even ran it like this on 2 4cyl motors where both breather and PCV were on the same cam cover and there were no issues.

I think it comes down to the air being sucked across the motor through the PCV not being significant when compared to the air coming through the throttle body.

I still may make both sides of my system open with a catch can on the PCV side. I think in my case having no oil in the intake mani outweighs the little bit of extra ventilation from engine vacuum sucking on the crankcase.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Fantastic, this was the info I was looking for. My searching abilities suck because I couldn't find what I was searching.

In any case, this is the route I will most likely take. I don't want a messy or stinky engine bay. So breather on the passanger side and then the the driver side to a catch can or 2, and then to the CAI before the head unit.

Is there vacuum on that side before the head unit? I think it should go to the manifold. Without vacuum the pcv valve will not open. Or am I thinking about this all wrong?

And I run breathers on both covers with the pcv valve removed, and an oil cap breather. Having 3 outlets instead of just one prevents any oil mist. I don't ever get any oil dripping with this set up.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

I ran mine from the driver side to a catch can with an extra pcv valve inline and then to the intake manifold. The intake manifold is where the vacuum comes from that pulls air in from the passenger side.

Keep in mind that some real smart people will tell you not to do this. Others like myself have never had an issue.

My theory on why it's never caused a problem for me is because the extra unmetered air is very small in comparison to what is coming through the tb, the maf xfer is pretty much spot on and it was tuned with the pcv setup like this, stft will correct small differences in closed loop, and at wot there isn't anything coming through the pcv due to the manifold being pressurized.

At one time Procharger instructions were to set the pcv up this way. Now they say to cap the intake manifold and drivers side pcv.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back