Oil viscosity: 5w20 vs. 5w30

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So in warmer climates, like the Houston area, wouldn't it be a worthwhile trade-off to give up a little mpg to protect the engine to a greater extent by using 5w30 instead of 5w20?

I'm running Royal Purple, BTW. and will be switching to RP tranny fluid and rear diff fluid as well (it comes with the friction adder already).

Your thoughts?

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Most 5W-30 oils will shear down into a 5W-20 anyway. These oils also have newer additives to prevent wear and such.

The tolerences are tight on these modular engines, so I'm up here in Dallas using 5W-20 year round and no problems thus far. In fact, I have 5 cases of 10W30 oil for my truck that will probably take me years to use! My new Lincoln MKZ, the 'Stang, and the old lady's Honda all use 5W-20!

Here is a good oil site for everything you want to know about oil, but were afraid to ask!

www.bobistheoilguy.com

Thx,

Mike

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hell, just move up to Dallas and don't worry about the heat. It was snowing a couple of hours ago.

Larry_H

Custom Motors Built
Reaction score
The thicker oil does play tricks on the VVT and Overhead cams need lots of oil....volume...not pressure

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MrClean said:
So in warmer climates, like the Houston area, wouldn't it be a worthwhile trade-off to give up a little mpg to protect the engine to a greater extent by using 5w30 instead of 5w20?

I'm running Royal Purple, BTW. and will be switching to RP tranny fluid and rear diff fluid as well (it comes with the friction adder already).

Your thoughts?
I would not replace the transmission fluid with anything other than what tremec recommends. Mercon/Dexron III

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hawgman said:
It was snowing a couple of hours ago.

No shit Doc! I told the old lady it was snowing yesterday and she looked at me as if I were on crack or something and mumbled something like it ain't cold enough to snow.

Good to know I wasn't seeing things!!!! :D Thought I might have to give up the booze! :beer:

Mike

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thump_rrr said:
MrClean said:

Your thoughts?
I would not replace the transmission fluid with anything other than what tremec recommends. Mercon/Dexron III

+100000000000

You're asking for it when you mess with something other than the OEM transmission fluid. I learned this the hard way on a Chrysler!!!

Mike

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
snow in dallas huh? damn i figured you guys would be too far south to see that

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen, I'll heed your advice: OEM fluids in tranny & rear diff, and 5w20 in the engine.

thump_rrr; good to see you here!

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Larry_H said:
The thicker oil does play tricks on the VVT and Overhead cams need lots of oil....volume...not pressure
Hmmmm... on my "non-stock" shortblock, I've been running 15w-40 dino oil, and now 20w-50 Lucas Oil synthetic. Adam built the motor, and recommended the heavier weight. I've noticed zero issues, and I've been running it like that for over 10,000 miles and almost 400 passes at the track.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cali HP Addict said:
I have been running Royal Purple Synchromax in my 5sp for 4000 miles w/no issues.
Thanks for the input; notice any change? Did the shifteing get smoother? hp increase due to lower friction?

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
The shifting defenately seemed to improve. I wouldn't have been able to feel a couple hp since I was over 400rwhp when I swapped.

MikeVistaBlue06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MrClean said:
Cali HP Addict said:
I have been running Royal Purple Synchromax in my 5sp for 4000 miles w/no issues.
Thanks for the input; notice any change? Did the shifteing get smoother? hp increase due to lower friction?

Changing fluids in the manual transmission or rear-end probably won't hurt.

I was cautioning folks on changing fluids on an automatic transmission! Clutch plates and such in those are picky about the fluid!

Mike

Larry_H

Custom Motors Built
Reaction score
don_w said:
Larry_H said:
Hmmmm... on my "non-stock" shortblock, I've been running 15w-40 dino oil, and now 20w-50 Lucas Oil synthetic. Adam built the motor, and recommended the heavier weight. I've noticed zero issues, and I've been running it like that for over 10,000 miles and almost 400 passes at the track.

Don, Have you had it on a dyno with 5w-20 and with the 15w-40? I wonder what the difference in viscosity is doing as far as changing the cam timing curve, if any change at all....

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Larry_H said:
don_w said:
Larry_H said:

Don, Have you had it on a dyno with 5w-20 and with the 15w-40? I wonder what the difference in viscosity is doing as far as changing the cam timing curve, if any change at all....

now thats an excellent question!

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
94tbird said:
Larry_H said:
don_w said:
Larry_H said:

now thats an excellent question!
It's never had 5w-20 in it all. Adam used the heavier oil from day 1.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, this couls turn out to be a good thread...maybe we can coax a stillstock S197 owner to dyno it with the regular dino oil just before his oil change, and then dyno it again immediately after the oil change to RP 5W30...preferably on the same day to limit the environmental effects....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back