Opinion: gears or more boost?

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
So my current basic setup is a forged 8.5:1 CR shortblock, Vortech T-trim with FMIC, stock 3650 trans (upgraded clutch) and rear with 3.55s. 60lb injectors, GT500 pumps, longtubes. At 14lbs of peak boost (at 6700rpm) currently with stock crank pulley and 2.95 blower pulley. Stock cams, heads, TB, etc.

For around the same price, I can go with 4.10 gears or a 10% OD Innovators West crank pulley. I'm guessing that the OD crank will bring peak boost to around 17lbs and add around 30-40 rwhp (at around 515rwhp currently). Getting an 8-rib crank pulley will also make it easier to convert to 8-rib if I want to turn it up some more later.

I'm guessing the gears will increase the car's fun factor quite a bit though. I used to go to the track quite a bit, but the car is basically a fun street car now that might see the track a couple times a season. I should add that the car sees up to 400 freeway miles per week as a driver, not that the gears will raise the freeway RPM that much.

Sorry for the brainstorming, but does anybody have any suggestions? :popcorneat:

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
id say go with the pulley for now. the install would be cheaper. and then 4.10s in a little while

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
Friend of mine is selling me his 4.10s (lightly used of course) for $40. I just need an install kit and I have people who can do the labor for around $200.

I have seen some used IW balancers sell for around $250, plus a few bucks for a buddy to throw it on for me. So the cost is pretty similar.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
I say pulley. You're gonna shred tires even more on the street with the gears. I hardly ever feel like flooring it ever on the street thinking I'm gonna crash as bad as it gets loose. Save a little gas too

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
I would do the pulley as well. I had 4.10's for a while and there was way too much shifting going on lol, especially when you decide to lay the hammer down.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gears. There is a HELL OF A LOT MORE to having a quick car than just continuously throwing horsepower at it.

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
I say do both, go with gears and more boost then you can tune the car in once instead of twice...

I can do the gear-swap change in my Predator, and I'm a friend of my tuner so he can write a new file for me if needed for the pulley swap,plus I have a wideband for checking everything.

I recently installed a 2.87 pulley in place of the 2.95. I saw 15lbs of boost today. The gears will be installed sometime early next week. Thanks for all the help guys. $55 for the new pulley and around $350 for the gears with install.:clap:

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Well I recently removed my 4.10s are went back to 3.55s and couldn't be happier. With 4.10s on the street I could have been beaten to 60 mph by a civic as 1st and 2nd were utterly and completely useless. I could even blow off my 275 mm MT drag radials with ease. Spinning ain't winning. Unless you streets are sprayed with VHT track bite, skip the 4.10s (plus they all whine).

Last edited:

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
Well I recently removed my 4.10s are went back to 3.55s and couldn't be happier. With 4.10s on the street I could have been beaten to 60 mph by a civic as 1st and 2nd were utterly and completely useless. I could even blow off my 275 mm MT drag radials with ease. Spinning ain't winning. Unless you streets are sprayed with VHT track bite, skip the 4.10s (plus they all whine).

Good info, but PD blowers are a lot harder on tires than centri blowers. As it is, as long as it isn't below 50 degrees or so, My car never spins in 2nd and only a little in 1st with 285/40-18 F1 Supercars. My Nittos work even better. I will keep that in mind though.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So my current basic setup is a forged 8.5:1 CR shortblock, Vortech T-trim with FMIC, stock 3650 trans (upgraded clutch) and rear with 3.55s. 60lb injectors, GT500 pumps, longtubes. At 14lbs of peak boost (at 6700rpm) currently with stock crank pulley and 2.95 blower pulley. Stock cams, heads, TB, etc.

For around the same price, I can go with 4.10 gears or a 10% OD Innovators West crank pulley. I'm guessing that the OD crank will bring peak boost to around 17lbs and add around 30-40 rwhp (at around 515rwhp currently). Getting an 8-rib crank pulley will also make it easier to convert to 8-rib if I want to turn it up some more later.

I'm guessing the gears will increase the car's fun factor quite a bit though. I used to go to the track quite a bit, but the car is basically a fun street car now that might see the track a couple times a season. I should add that the car sees up to 400 freeway miles per week as a driver, not that the gears will raise the freeway RPM that much.

Sorry for the brainstorming, but does anybody have any suggestions? :popcorneat:

Gears !!!

tigerhonaker

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back